Nottm born & Nottm fled

Hi Jan.Lowton,

I was born in the house at an angle on the crossroads of Burlington, Chatsworth, Cambridge and Redland, but we moved to Gedling village before I was 2yrs old.

I used to visit my Grandma in that house regularly until I left Nottingham in 1966, I am sorry but the name isn't familiar to me, though that means nothing as i forget most things these days! Lol

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Born Rosetta Rd New Basford, moved to St Albans Rd Bulwell just up from the railway crossing at 17. Then to Harmston Rise Heathfield at 19. Left home a few months later and moved to Buxton to court SW

Aspleh as a baby, Speechely St as a toddler, then Peveril St for 15 years before moving to Carlton. Married and bought house in Loughborough, then on the Keyworth and now near Stafford, part time in F

You upset Mrs Ben and you'll probably go to A&E, followed by ICU, followed by....one of those big black vans marked Private Ambulance. So, behave yersen! 

me nottingham born bred and never lived anywere else nor do i want to one sister in south africa one sister small village just outside lincoln called cherry willingham one sister and youngest brother still live in nottingham i have had several oppertunities to live abroad but never wanted to go

Hi Jan Lowton

Trying my hardest to remember how I knew Pete at the time, don't know if I worked with him or met him at college ? think he was our regular babysitter every Friday night when we live on Perlethorpe Ave off Wesdale lane.

Bing a bit diplomatic here, was you his girlfriend at the time ? or maybe a later one. At least you got him in the end :-)

If he is a sparky I met him at work.

Whereabouts in Wales are you ? maybe pm me if necessary.

Born in Mansfield. Raised in Netherfield. My late wife was from Gedling. Took our 18 month old daughter and emigrated to Toronto, Canada. Second daughter born there. Now both daughters near Edmonton Canada. Dad about 60 miles from Atlanta Georgia USA. Long drive to see the grand kids. Just did it a few weeks ago. Total 7000 miles. Almost forgot, two cousins left. One in Carlton, one in Bingham.

Hi Banjo48

Not the girlfriend he married but things happen. We got married 20 years ago. Yep, Pete was a 'sparky'. Not sure who first job was with as he is in Nottingham at mo looking after grand daughter. Back on Tuesday. Two main jobs were British Sugar and then British Gypsum. We are living in Cardigan Bay near New Quay now. (What does pm mean?)

Regards Jan

I wus born int Medders, and have moved around Nott's (some moves enforced, others voluntary).

Brother moved to Arsenal London, Germany, Kenya, back to Nottingham for a bit, and now in Hong Kong.

Sister moved to Bread & Lard Island, then all over the country, then Italy, back to Nottingham, off to Australia, now back in Bread & Lard Island.

Hi Jan,

pm means private message. Go to top of page, right hand side, click on your name and your profile will come up with facility to send private messages to other members.

Hi Jan

Sorry should have explained the pm system.

Maybe when Pete comes back get him to send me a PM on here as he will remember my good lady and I, I'm sure.

We nearly ended up in Wales instead of oz, my favorite spot was Anglesey as I used to scuba dive there a lot and then progressed to windsurfing again around Anglesey mainly Rhosneiger (spellng), and Trearddur Bay.

I was going to buy a B&B but my wife changed her mind in the end, such is life though and cannot complain how ours has panned out.

I was born in Arnold. Now live in Pentwater, Michigan, USA. Two sisters, one near Retford, the other in Whitley Bay! One son, born in Worcester, Massachusetts who lives in Sandown, New Hampshire!

Hi limey

just as a matter of interest where abouts in arnold did you live. my mum and dad first bought a bungalow on Langford R oad the moving to islay close just off calverton road mid 60s

fch782c

We lived on Lodge Farm Lane - off Redhill Road. We moved to Long Eaton in 1958

Born in Beeston rylands. Moved to Outside Perth W.A for a time. Back to Beeston then Gedling One year in Aden, two years in Singapore, Two years in Malta and two and a half in Wash D.C. Lived in Poole for 31 years and now in Colchester. Mother and father both died in Oz. Brother in Perth. One sister in Ilkeston and one in Bramcote. One daughter in Colchester having worked in Venice and another daughter now in New Zealand having worked in Rhiyadh. Son still working in Iraq.

• Upvote 1

Born at Highbury Hospital in '71, moved to various places around Bulwell and Basford with my parents then moved to Broxtowe when I got married in '95, back to Bulwell when I got divorced in '97 (long story lol) then various places in Aspley and Strelley (apart from 2 years in Lincoln) until I moved back to Basford last month. Parents have lived off Highbury Vale for the last 20 years, sister lives round the corner near Cantrell School. Son lives in Aspley with his mum.

Born in Beeston rylands. Moved to Outside Perth W.A for a time. Back to Beeston then Gedling One year in Aden, two years in Singapore, Two years in Malta and two and a half in Wash D.C. Lived in Poole for 31 years and now in Colchester. Mother and father both died in Oz. Brother in Perth. One sister in Ilkeston and one in Bramcote. One daughter in Colchester having worked in Venice and another daughter now in New Zealand having worked in Rhiyadh. Son still working in Iraq.

Matsdigs where did you live in malta i married a girl from zabba not married now but my son obviously half maltese lovely people and did a good job in ww2 mintoff broke ties with uk

Although a tiny island my wife and I had a wonderful holiday there. Full of history and historic buildings. The comedian chap (Connolly) has a home on Gozo (good choice). The only reason we found it was due to the troubles throughout Syria etc in the Middle East. If you haven`t been I advise a visit. Wonderful.

• Upvote 1

malta is the one plaice i ever considered moving too have had a couple of holidays there and i loved it but i think its one of those places you love or hatemy sister has a time share in rambla bay between malia and martha very near the gozo ferry we used to sit in the apartment and watch the ferry comming and goingas you san the island has so much history and always found the malteese people very friendly and helpful

• Upvote 1

Been to Malta many times as I used to scuba dive there, Some amazing dive sites around the island and one of my best memories was seeing 2 german stuka fighter bombers on the sea bed, just looked like they had landed there and never moved !

Very deep waters though so very limited dive times on some of the best sites.

Sorry to go OT.

When you are 6ft 6i only the maltese would pick you up from the airport in a ford anglia and expect you to sit in the back with your wife and toddler iwould not reccomend it but maltese attitude use whats available.

When I was a kid, there was a conductor worked regularly on the number 22 bus, he was called Tony. Small, swarthy looking fella who hailed from Malta. We kids would say he was a Maltesa.

Matsdigs where did you live in malta i married a girl from zabba not married now but my son obviously half maltese lovely people and did a good job in ww2 mintoff broke ties with uk

Sorry about the delay in responding to the above. I lived in Mosta about two hundred yards down from the "whisper" nightclub and very close to Graces Bar. My haunt was Johnnie's Bar opposite the entrance to the Dome. Lived there from 72-74. Just round the back was the place where lots of penny settlers from U.K had settled. Sir Stanley Matthews wasn't all that far away and neither was Claire Bloom. There was a very troubled soul also lived close to Johnnies Bar. He would occasionally call in for a drink when lots of my mates were in for a drink of an evening. He would buy a round and sit quietly. After the fourth or fifth bottle of cisk or Hopleaf he would begin gently insulting the men. If he didfnt get the right reaction he would start in on the ladies. He would keep on and on until eventually some one punched him. That was what he wanted and off he would go until the pressure built up again and "in he came, bought a round and sat quietly until..."

Strange people.

• Upvote 1