Nottm born & Nottm fled

...and the old buses...wonderful ,and so cheap! As far as history goes did you visit the sites that make Stonehenge look like recent history?

You may be referring to the neolithic temple called Hagga qim (?) which is on the south of the island.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Born Rosetta Rd New Basford, moved to St Albans Rd Bulwell just up from the railway crossing at 17. Then to Harmston Rise Heathfield at 19. Left home a few months later and moved to Buxton to court SW

Aspleh as a baby, Speechely St as a toddler, then Peveril St for 15 years before moving to Carlton. Married and bought house in Loughborough, then on the Keyworth and now near Stafford, part time in F

You upset Mrs Ben and you'll probably go to A&E, followed by ICU, followed by....one of those big black vans marked Private Ambulance. So, behave yersen! 

That`s one Mattsdigs, but the one I was amazed by was the underground Hypogeum. It was said that it was possible to walk the entire length of Malta underground.

"Many subterranean passageways, including ancient catacombs, now are a part of the island’s fortifications and defense system. Supplies are kept in many tunnels; others are bomb shelters. Beneath Valletta some of the underground areas served as homes for the poor. Prehistoric men built temples and chambers in these vaults. In a pit beside one sacrificial altar lie thousands of human skeletons. Years ago one could walk underground from one end of Malta to the other. The Government closed the entrances to these tunnels after school children and their teachers became lost in the labyrinth while on a study tour and never returned."

The story goes much "deeper" however, than the NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC article indicates. Other sources say that ABOUT 30 CHILDREN vanished in these catacombs on the study tour, and that when the "Hypogeum" was first discovered nearly 30,000 human skeletons of men, women and children (victims of ancient sacrifice to the "underworld gods", performed by an old neolithic race) were discovered as well

ref number *52. I recall reading that the entrance into the Hypogeum was found back in the early 1900s when excavating a new buildings foundations the workers found a smally hole which some one enlarged and suddenly fell into the hole.

born in Long Eaton, (1940) moved to the Meadows age 5 lived in Mapperley Park from age 16-19 married a Radford Lass,lived on Alfred st central then to Bestwood park then to Aspley short stay in Arnold & Kimberley long time in Bulwell 7 yrs in North Yorkshire and finaly 18 months in Manchester , Son & grandkids in East Leake, Son & grandkids in Kimberley, Sister in Warwick, Sister in Chesterfield, Sister in Bramcote.

AMENDMENT, just lost a sister , past away in Queens medical on Thursday evening age 69, after short illness R.I. P 12-12-13

She is the one that lived in Bramcote , Did any of the girls know her, Patricia Merrin ?

• 3 weeks later...

Born in Old Radford, lived in Clifton, Carlton Hill, Clifton again, West Bridgford, Beeston Rylands, then emigrated to Thailand. Married here more than 13 years ago. Sister in Portsmouth (ex-RN) , son in Edinburgh, his eldest son born in Sydney, Australia, and his second son born Edinburgh.

Born in Basford above a greengrocers my parents owned, then to Dunkirk aged two. Moved to Bilborough aged 7, then Wollaton Park aged 9. Lived there till I married then to Lenton flats, then the Meadows and back to Bilborough. Got divorced, moved to Dunkirk, then Sherwood. Got remarried, then moved to Wollaton Pk again.

In 2000 moved the whole family to a small island off the North Welsh coast. Daughter now married, lives on the island with us, in a village a few miles north. Son lives in London.

Most of my family remain in Nottm.

Reading this back it appears that for most of my earlier life, I was going round in circles! Thankfully, along came my knight in shining armour and straghtened me out! Very happy where I live.

• 2 months later...

Born and bred in the medders(Atlas Terrace) surname Millington.

Moved to Alexandra Park when married 1965 then Gordon Rd W.B

Ten pound pom in 1970 but lived in Nottm 79/81. back to Bunbury W..A

Funny that bride lived with her gran in Walker Terrace Bunbury St.

Gran got re housed on Hobart Close and we lived in Hobart Tasmania at first.

One child, brother(Kevin) with 4 kids and many friends from Nottm live in Bunbury and Perth.....

Most friends & family I know who left Notts went to the Perth area (Joondalup, Cannington & Freemantle) one each in Geelong, Sydney, Brisbane, Christchurch NZ & Toronto. I lived in Germany in the early 80's (Munster-lager, Lower Saxony) when I left the Army, but ended up back in Notts. Now living in Hucknall..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Ain't gone far Born Radford Brixton Road moved to Bilborough when 6 back to Radford when 21 with daughter & Mrs Red, Foster Street then Cobden Street back up Bilborough for 8 month Brindley Road then Wollaton the Radford end 21 odd years ago, not moving staying put.

Born old bestwood estate, got married moved to sherwood,got promotion and divorced moved to cambridgshire,norfolk,northants,got divorced came back to nottingham,lived old basford,bestwood village now in ashfield but only 2 miles from bulwell 

Lord only knows where I'll go after next divorce,    lol

Oh missed one out lived in Carlton for a while,but i just felt i was wrong side of the tracks,

Aspleh as a baby, Speechely St as a toddler, then Peveril St for 15 years before moving to Carlton. Married and bought house in Loughborough, then on the Keyworth and now near Stafford, part time in France. Same lovely wife since Carlton.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Born Rosetta Rd New Basford, moved to St Albans Rd Bulwell just up from the railway crossing at 17. Then to Harmston Rise Heathfield at 19. Left home a few months later and moved to Buxton to court SWMBO, failed first time round, went to Donegal on a contract for 7 months and came back to Nottingham at 23 to sort myself out.

Went after SWMBO again but stayed in Nottingham and travelled twice a week, TARGET got married in 71and moved to a flat in Radford, then Southglade road and finally into Bestwood Park and here we stay same house and same wonderful lady.....

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3