Am I the only one that misses the old TV plays like Armchair Theatre, Thriller, Tales of mystery and imagination, Wednesday (or was it Thursday) Playhouse?

I don't care for big budget programs with expensive effects, I like a good story and actors that could act.

I believe that most of them were lost or taped over. I don't care whether they are in black and white or not.

Does anyone else agree?

• Upvote 2

They probably couldn't find enough talented actors to make a decent play TV nowadays, although I recall there wasn't much spent on the 'sets' for those TV plays

• Upvote 2

Best play I ever saw on the telly was called The Evacuees, Maureen Lipman was in it, I think her husband Jack Rosenthal wrote it. Seeing how I can remember all these details, it obviously really impressed me. It did, it was great. Would love a copy of it, but I've never found it. Abigail's Party was another memorable play.

I used to love watching 'Armchair Theatre' in the late fifties, early seventies because the stories were always good. Other stuff I enjoyed on TV was 'Thirty Minute Theatre' and 'Alfred Hitchcock Presents. I think they were on around the same time as the others. They were great times for watching a good play with a good story. 'Tales Of The Unexpected', I'd forgotten that one. There was always a good ending to them.

Remember one particular play. "Kathy come home". Really bothered me at the time, about a young couple that had just bought a house. They lost their jobs and quickly descended into slum housing. We had just bought our first new house.

Also enjoyed "all creatures great and small." Though I realize this was a series rather than a one off play. Nothing much like those anymore.

Also enjoyed "all creatures great and small." Though I realize this was a series rather than a one off play. Nothing much like those anymore.

Dunno. They are repeating the first series of "Call the MIdwife" here. Always thought that was splendid BBC drama.

Alison Steadman also appeared in a brilliant little film called 'Nuts in May' . She is a fantastic actress.

Anybody remember the survivors, first series appeared in the early 1970s about a group of survivors of a worldwide virus. I cant remember the first cast apart from the little welsh tramp played by Talfryn Thomas written by Terry Nation. There was a revamped modern day version in 2010 but did not make it past the second series

• Upvote 1

Yes fch, the original Survivors was one of the best TV programmes I have ever seen, great storyline.

Can't remember many of the cast only Lucy Fleming and the gorgeous Carolyn Seymour .

:biggrin: Looking forward to this Thursday; on BBC2, 9pm is the spy drama: 'Legacy'.

Described as: 'a gripping espionage thriller set during the height of the cold war in 1970's London'.

PS: Hope it's as good as it sounds..............

Yes fch, the original Survivors was one of the best TV programmes I have ever seen, great storyline.

Can't remember many of the cast only Lucy Fleming and the gorgeous Carolyn Seymour .

I actually liked Lucy Fleming better (daughter of Celia Johnson of 'Brief Encounter' fame).

There was probably a bit less action in the original Survivors than the recent version - all I remember is they used to do a lot of driving around in Land Rovers.

Well I thought someone may have remembered 'Sling your Hook'

It was first broadcast in 1969 and was the story of a group of Nottingham miners off to Blackpool for a long weekend.

It was a comedy drama and followed their exploits. The start of it really was filmed in Nottingham and showed them leaving on a Barton coach.

Lucy Fleming, married to Simon Williams is I believe the niece of Ian Fleming.

ChrisB (#21). when you put 'Sling your hook' (#17), I thought you was telling fch782c to clear off..!!! :laugh:

So did I till I reed his next post, after which i had to rethink my reply