I use the poundland in colwick retail park, Theyre good for pet wood shavings & i often buy a few bits and bobs for the garden, they do decent tubs that i keep bugs in for my lizard. Although im more of a fan of B&M bargains, although were lacking a car at the moment so not been able to do much christmas shopping there this year, i saw loads of bargains in there a while back!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bag of eyes best thing I have ever brought from PoundLand - Hours of fun   

I can remember when you could go in a shop with 50 pence & come out with 6 eggs, pound of sugar, quart of milk, bag of spuds, tube of smarties & a mars bar. You cant do that nowadays - too man

Nice to see a lass with big strong thighs... Could I order 24 Budweiser please?

I go in B&M for cleaning things, house things, toys & pet things. they had lots of gift sets and christmas things in there i had planned to get closer to the time. But the car's been having the head gasket repaired for the past 5 weeks, seems like everythings been put on hold. :(

I go in B&M for cleaning things, house things, toys & pet things. they had lots of gift sets and christmas things in there i had planned to get closer to the time. But the car's been having the head gasket repaired for the past 5 weeks, seems like everythings been put on hold. :(

I know what you mean Pixie.

When I was told I could not longer drive after me op - I wus devastated.

Still, not working meant I could not afford to run the car anyway. Tsk!

Don't mind so much nowadays - apart from in bad weather.

Cheers.

I dont think i ever realised how much i depended on it! Not enjoying having to order online for most of my crimbo stuff & walking to + from work in the dark,late at night :(

I'm a big fan of B&M Bargains too. A very good range of items in the larger branches.

But I often pop into Poundland for a pack of sandwiches, they have a good selection.

I hear the ones made by Sal Monella are pretty tasty.

• Upvote 1

The ones by E Coli aren't bad either!

Re #15. The adhesive tape from our local Poundland is rubbish. It comes off at all sorts of funny angles, splits itself causing the end to get lost. I still use it but have to take my time.

Pixie, I have had our Christmas destroyed by car repairs. I need mine to get to the different places to work at. It always comes at Christmas.

Yep it really does. If it's not the car breaking down, it's all the bills and taxes to pay! Unfortunately myself and partner didn't click on when it first started showing signs of needing to be repaired, until it went completely, sounded awful, pistons jumping and temp regulator went.. now we've had to have the whole top end of the engine rebuilt, which is a cheaper option than buying a new top end. We've both had to walk to work & I having spent goodness knows how much on taxi's and busfair!

Bloomin cars! Who'd av em eh!

Pixie, your car's not a Rover by any chance ? I had the same problem with a Land Rover Freelander a few years ago, the infamous aluminium K series engine are unfortunately well known for blowing the head gasket with all the resultant damage to the cylinder head and block.

Mine was off the road for about 4 weeks but luckily I had taken out a warranty with the car when I purchased it second hand, and although the Insurers initially tried to wriggle out of paying, I was in the same business so was not having any of their nonsense. Finished up paying just over £300 on a total bill of about £2000.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if the pound shop is totally immune to the internet . Poundland were supposed to be introducing an on-line service this year but that seems to be drifting into next year now . It should be interesting to see how they do it.

I tried it many years ago , alongside our shop but a small concern working on such small margins can't make it pay . Despite trying to introduce a minimum spend we had too many people just ordering a couple of quids worth .

May not be etiquette to quote my own post from last year but an internet pound shop is about to happen . As mentioned above I tried it from 2004 -2011 alongside our shop and though now retired I still own the domain name www.poundshop.co.uk

I registered the name in 2003 and for some daft reason didn't register the dot .com version, reasoning with myself that the pound in the title was more relevant to the co.uk version .

Now , the original founder of Poundland ,Steve Smith has bought the dot com name and is about to launch http://poundshop.com/

Probably minimum order £23 and £3 delivery charge.

The strange thing is , that he has joined forces with former rivals Poundworld to do it . In one way it makes sense as Poundworld already have an operational wholesale website where anyone can order a mjnimum £500 worth .http://www.discount-wholesale.co.uk/index/itp-imports_413.htm

Apparently 16000 have already registered on the new website before its launch so should have a good start but I still don't see how it will be profitable . Though having an existing warehouse , full of stock

probably helps !

Also Steve Smith sold Poundland for £50 million so I guess he has the money to promote it ! Bit of clever marketing in that a TV programme ,poundshop wars is about to be repeated on BBC next week .

What a shame DavidW, if only you'd gone for it at that time you might have made a lot of money by selling the dot com domain name to them now. Years ago, when the Internet was very new, our sons thought it would be a good idea to have a website for our company. My husband, who was and still is a technophobe, thought it was an unnecessary outlay. A couple of years later we decided it would be the right thing to do, only to find that a company in South Africa had the domain name that we wanted. This company is in a totally different business and it hasn't caused a problem but somehow .com always seems to have more punch than .co.uk.

Lizzie , I hedged my bets , as at the time there was talk of us going into the Euro .

So thinking I was smart , registered www.2euro.com , which I assumed would be the equivalent to a poundshop if we adopted the euro but got fed up of paying the yearly registration fee and let it lapse .

Thanks littlebro for the suggestion .......a good idea except they will probably only offer me a quid !