The new Nottingham Poundworld made all the national newspapers , mainly focusing on all the Disney "Frozen" merchandise selling out in the first 10 minutes of opening .

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/535686/Frozen-products-parents-storm-Poundworld-bargain-ten-minutes

Poundworld-Frozen-222054.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bag of eyes best thing I have ever brought from PoundLand - Hours of fun   

I can remember when you could go in a shop with 50 pence & come out with 6 eggs, pound of sugar, quart of milk, bag of spuds, tube of smarties & a mars bar. You cant do that nowadays - too man

Nice to see a lass with big strong thighs... Could I order 24 Budweiser please?

I find it crazy that the big supermarkets have offers, loyalty cards and the rest of it in the guise of 'bargains'. If they can afford these tactics why can't they afford to lower the prices over all?

• Upvote 1

When times were tight for us (when my first husband lost his job through gross misconduct 15 years ago) I split my shopping between Aldi or Lidl and Morrisons and cut my shopping bill in half.

As regards B&Q and Homebase possible cutting back, well maybe they should look at their delivery aspect. We wanted to buy some very large sheets of ply, too big for the car, and online it said not for home delivery. Needless to say we are calling in at our local builders merchants and buying from them, they will deliver for a token cost.

I find it crazy that the big supermarkets have offers, loyalty cards and the rest of it in the guise of 'bargains'. If they can afford these tactics why can't they afford to lower the prices over all?

We have always shopped at Morrisons, getting fuel from them we collected the Miles points and usually have £30-40 pounds saved by Christmas against the shopping bill, not to mention the other bonus schemes they have run in the past.

Now they do Match and More card and in 3 weeks shopping and fuel we have £20 in vouchers. With this card they match your shopping with other stores and give equivalent points for the difference in price of your shop. One £5 voucher is equal to 5000 points. If your shopping could have been say £3.56 cheaper somewhere else you get 3560 points. Not a bad scheme. I will be staying with them.

Oddly enough, there is a small corner shop in a nearby town of Hingham which for years has traded under the name 'Harrod's'. It's run by an Asian. 'Harrod's' of London tried to get them to change the name. Insecurity or what!!!

The new Nottingham Poundworld made all the national newspapers , mainly focusing on all the Disney "Frozen" merchandise selling out in the first 10 minutes of opening .

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/535686/Frozen-products-parents-storm-Poundworld-bargain-ten-minutes

Poundworld-Frozen-222054.jpg

Whatever they selling i'd sooner goo without,

Whatever they selling i'd sooner goo without,

Ha ha , mind you if that camera being held aloft is only a quid , I'd risk the melee !

• Upvote 1
  • 8 months later...

They are a god send to the poorer people......I must admit if I am in town I always pop in and buy something, mostly toilestries or toys, books, crayons etc for my grandchildren........

• Upvote 1

Ditto the multi packs of crisps - you used to get 6 50g bags now it's 4 x 35g. There was a documentary a few months ago about Poundland, The TV crew set up a shop next door with the same value products but packaged differently so cost more, but ounce for ounce or whatever exactly the same price. For example they have bread specially packaged and it works out dearer than the supermarkers, same as cereals and jaffa cakes.

Cliff - a £50 voucher would buy the whole shop!!

The way they are popping up, it seems one can walk out of Poundland straight into Poundland.

I noticed today that 454gm salad cream bottles were in the shop on Clumber street, but in the shop next to the Range, at Colwick, the bottles were only 232gm

Both £1 of course.

There are very good deals in these shops, but you have to have your wits about you as some items are deceptive and can be very expensive.

Absolutely right Tony.

Some of the things they sell aren't bargains at all. But most are !

I've got a list of Poundland things that I've found to be particularly cheap and cheerfull.

It ranges from Ant Powder to parcel tape - mainly things that are fairly disposable, but which seem to have become fairly expensive elsewhere now.

It used to be that you got certain things from specific places e.g. stationery from W.H.Smiths, toiletries from Boots etc.

But now, out of necessity, we've all become professional shoppers and note down all the different places where we we've seen things for reasonable prices.

Some shops have put their prices up ridiculously.

I've noticed that Homebase has now become totally unusable because the prices are just silly. (White gloss paint for £14.99)

At least in Notts you've got Home Bargains and Wilko's which are a much better bet.

The last items I tried to buy for a reasonable price (and failed) was batteries. I used to get them from Tesco's or Asda - but those supermarkets seem to have done some sort of deal with Duracell and no longer stock the cheap types.

I don't particularly care whether the batteries are 'the most advanced ever produced'. I'm not paying £3.50 just to get the TV remote working.

Last year I went into Maplin to buy a watch battery and was shocked to see it priced at £3.09.

So I went to Poundland instead and got a pack of 8.

• Like 1

I always buy Alkaline batteries when I can get them, but notice that Poundland now sell limited amounts in packets of two, where you used to get 8 for a pound.

The 99c or $1 (66p) stores in the US are good, had some absolute bargains from them.

Wilko are no longer cheap and B&Q are now a rip off, I shop at Screwfix, most things are much cheaper.

They still get you one way or another , Screwfix is owned by Kingfisher , same as B&Q .