• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bag of eyes best thing I have ever brought from PoundLand - Hours of fun   

I can remember when you could go in a shop with 50 pence & come out with 6 eggs, pound of sugar, quart of milk, bag of spuds, tube of smarties & a mars bar. You cant do that nowadays - too man

Nice to see a lass with big strong thighs... Could I order 24 Budweiser please?

The last items I tried to buy for a reasonable price (and failed) was batteries. I used to get them from Tesco's or Asda - but those supermarkets seem to have done some sort of deal with Duracell and no longer stock the cheap types.

Last year I went into Maplin to buy a watch battery and was shocked to see it priced at £3.09. So I went to Poundland instead and got a pack of 8.

I found the cheapest decent batteries were surprisingly John Lewis. I needed 2 for the wireless mouse, and this was cheaper than anyone else. http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-evolta-lr6ege-aa-batteries-pack-of-4-4-free/p231625097

I bought a pack of 25 button batteries of various sizes from Poundland. So far I have used then for my car lock, pedometer and watch, and still have plenty left. Not bad for a quid when you see the price of the alternatives.

I found the cheapest decent batteries were surprisingly John Lewis. I needed 2 for the wireless mouse, and this was cheaper than anyone else. http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-evolta-lr6ege-aa-batteries-pack-of-4-4-free/p231625097

I bought an 8 pack from Poundland for my camera and mouse....the camera took four pictures then failed and I swop the mouse battery every few days....pretty packaging....crap product.

John Collier - The Window To Watch !

In Worsted/Terylene.....

Remember all those miracle fabrics : tricel, bri-nylon...

Apart from the cheap clothes, there were curtains that were lethal fire hazards, and nylon sheets that used to give off massive static discharges

Smashie & Nicey did some fantastic spoof adverts based on them:

Deptford Dralons (loosely based on Brentford Nylons with Fluff Freeman - Allright ?!)

Screwfix depots now have two counters one Screwfix itself for the general punter and a separate place Plumbfix/Electricfix for professional's where we get better prices.

The only thing that is a standard price is their own range of tools Erbauer which are damn good value for money anyway.

• 10 months later...

When I go to UK I love looking at this type of shop comparing them with prices here. I stock up on paracetomol which costs 19 p in the discount stores but you can only get 2 packs. Poundland gives you a pack of 3 for £1 , 33P each so I usually go back a few times to the discounts and get 2 packs, mum gets 2 packs and by the time I come home I've stocked up for the family for a few months. Much better than paying €5 here for 10 tablets.

• Upvote 1

Can't fault you nonnaB !

When me & Mrs C out for a day & fancy an ice cream we don't pay the rip-off shop prices, Iceland or Heron's gets a box of ice creams for a pound, sometimes 6 cornetto's for a pound.

Always manage to give the extra one's away to passing kids or anyone else about !

• Upvote 3

Ill accompany you on the next outing then Catfan. A good idea that !

• Upvote 1

When I was a kid growing up inte 50's a £1 was a fortune......

• Upvote 1

Screwfix sounds like a down market brothel to me. slywink

Probably is and is hiding behind the shop front..............I've had a few screwfixes in my time as well........

Was in poundland (or whatever it's called) in Bulwell & clocked tea bags at £1 for 100, said to mother-in-law "they're cheap you should get some" so she got 2 packets. Went in B&M next door & same tea bags were £1-89 for 200 - 11 pence cheaper. She played hell up with me, I offered to give her the 11 pence but she said "no, it's the principle of it!" Of course she had to tell the check out girl who gave me a pitying look, she still laughed though..

Poundland ! what a great idea for a store to have a name like that................wish i'd thought about sumat similar in the 60s,.....perhaps 'Two Bob Land'.

Prices didn't fluctuate much in them days and you could get so many things for two bob or less,

Sugar,Tea,Coffee,Bread and most grocery items..........

In fact for two bob or less,you could get almost any drink in a Pub,entry to any sporting event,the Pictures including your Popcorn,Hire a boat on the Trent or Highfields,treat the Girl of your Dreams to Fish/chips even a dollup of Mushy peas if she was posh.,then take her in a Café for a cup of coffee for a shilling and Woo her to the song of the day on the 'Jukebox' for another Tanner...........oh the things you could do/get for just 'Two Bob'..........

• Upvote 4

Ha ha Benjamin I did think about the single price format in the late 70s .

I was a buyer then for the Co-op in the Ripley area and to idle away my lunch times used to go through all the price lists and mark all the things I would sell for 50 pence (if I had my own shop !)

4 years later I did have my own (multiprice) discount shop in the South West and when that started to fail changed it to a poundshop . The bigger players and general recession forced us out but I still own the domain name www.poundshop.co.uk (though it's no lomger trading !)

• Upvote 2