Ey up David,.......i tried one or two different ideas on retailing in the early 80s which took off for a while but fizzled out,............can you remember the retail store on Maple ave in Ripley......the owner was a chap called Derick Moore.........?....

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A bag of eyes best thing I have ever brought from PoundLand - Hours of fun   

I can remember when you could go in a shop with 50 pence & come out with 6 eggs, pound of sugar, quart of milk, bag of spuds, tube of smarties & a mars bar. You cant do that nowadays - too man

Nice to see a lass with big strong thighs... Could I order 24 Budweiser please?

Benjamin ,I'm afraid I don't know that shop or even where Maple Ave is in Ripley . The only other shop I can remember (but not the name) was a discount toy shop nearby that also wholesaled , as he was a competitor

To be honest I lived at Horsendale then and used to drive into the Co-op car park , within their buildings at Ripley , went in my office or walked about the non-food department store and warehouse , across the street and that was it , rarely walked about the town .

Occasionally visited the other stores at Eastwood . Heanor ,Langley Mill and Belper....ooh and then we opened a big store store at Alfreton must have been about 1980 .

Poohbear I did try and hedge my bets and grabbed the domain name www.2euro.com but after paying for it for years let it lapse.....expect someone else has got it now .

OK David,......it was just that i had alot of dealings with Derick and wondered what became of him.........regarding the Coop i had the security contract for Midlands Coop for a while around 2004/5 and used to send Guards and store detectives to their stores inc. Ripley.

I can remember when you could go in a shop with 50 pence & come out with 6 eggs, pound of sugar, quart of milk, bag of spuds, tube of smarties & a mars bar. You cant do that nowadays - too many CCTV systems installed..

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

I remember you now Colly......you always struggled with the 5lb bag of spuds up your jumper.............lol.

• Upvote 2

Ive seem em do it with a 4LB Chicken.................but a case of Beer?...........that's put me right off..........

Joking apart i used to Hate this sort of shoplifter,doing it in front of their children..............with many lifters i had good banter with,even quite liked some,but the violent and those like these I really detested..............

• Upvote 2

I don't want to appear ignorant, but where's it gone?

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

Nonna will probably agree with this post- coming to Nottm next week..

Herself has already given me a medicine list from Poundland as paracetamol etc..are so expensive here.

Trouble is I'm flying Camms Airways and 'Ryan' case space is tight!

Looking forward to backing a few horses- taking tiffin- having a natter ,not combing thru' cheap crimbo tat with Chavs pushing and shoving!

Noticed that in Spain Ian  Paracetamols...................double our price,...........that Irish border will still be busy after Brexit.............

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...
29 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Made my day, just been told out of all 21 cards received mine along with the money, badge & eyes, mine was the only one she shared on FACEBOOK :P 

Who says bribery don't work!    ;)

• 1 year later...

Isn't it about time they changed their name?

I shopped there yesterday and bought four items and only one of them was a pound. The phone charger leads nearly all cost £1.50 now and there's quite a bit of stuff priced at £2 or more. They removed the “Everything's a pound” statement off their frontage a few years back.

Still a good place for batteries and the liquorice rock and torpedoes are good value. Just need to check the price labels. Sometimes they're missing all together and I wonder if that's done on purpose.

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed that about the prices. Must say we always go in for a browse whenever we are near. Always seem to come out with something that I didn’t know I wanted but seems a good idea. Numerous times I have got home and unpacked my bags and wondered why the heck did I buy that!

• Like 1