Election day loudspeaker vans.

I can remember that on voting day when I lived down 'Medders' (Glapton Road) that loudspeaker vans used to come round to get folks to vote. When the Conservative van came round us kids shouted "up Labour," & when the Labour van came we shouted "up Conservatives," we enjoyed winding them up. If the van stopped we ran like the clappers.. :)

• Upvote 3

In the late 40's and early 50's my Gran used to use her house on Curzon Street as committee rooms for the local Conservative candidate and I used to get a ride in the loudspeaker van around the area. If I remember correctly, and I would have been nobbut a bairn at the time, it was a dark blue Morris Series E van, though I could be confusing it with a Dinky toy from the same era !!

I can also remember those vans, colly0410. There used to be cars that would take people to the Polling Stations, people who couldn't walk far etc. The Labour party used to hand out red streamers which us kids would fasten to a stick of wood and attach them to our bikes. I lived on Grainger Street, off Meadow Lane, and we were far too young to understand politics but we used to have lots of fun at election time.

Cliff, re #4, that's the one, and election posters used to be pasted onto the side with the name of the candidate.

We used to get streamers and also red or blue favours to pin on your coat, never saw many yellow ones in them days!

As you say MB, re #3, it was all good fun for us kids, though them wi' the red streamers always seemed to rout the blue lot on the street :biggrin:

Happy Days !

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the vans! I also remember the ones that would go round the block a few times to tell you if your water supply would be cut off due to works etc, i wondered what had happened to em!

• 2 weeks later...