Does anyone remember this shop

Hi all snowball-t here. I'm a newby so please be patient.Had a family get together recently and going over fond memories of yesterday, we are meadows born and bred. Can anyone tell us the name of the snuff and tobacco shop at the top of Wilford road next to the railway yards, and facing the Castle Inn at the top of Waterway Street.

The name Lovetts was mentioned. Hope some one can help.

• Upvote 1

Welcome snowball

Can't help on the name of the shop but heres a picture of the Castle Inn

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NTGM007283&prevUrl=

Used to deliver papers for the newsagent shown here. That would have been around late 1953 to early '57. Weren't supposed to be able to work under eleven years old, but like many I lied about my age. I was still nine when I started, but we needed the money. Do-gooders talk about child labour in the under-developed world. What hypocrisy, it was common in my lifetime in England.

paperround.jpg

• Upvote 1

Sounds about right. I was working for them ten years before they appeared in your directory Bubblewrap.

Used to deliver all around the very swishy Park Estate. Saturday mornings used to collect their paper money. Had a little cash book with a page for each customer. The tips at Christmas were well worth having.

Don't know if it's still the same, but then Sunday papers included numerous supplements, and each paper was the thickness of a dozen weekday papers. The shop owner would drive around refilling our bicycle panniers at certain pre-determined places as we couldn't carry a full round of papers on Sundays.

PS. For a while used to do the "Trip" as well. My one claim to fame.