Pork Dripping Sandwiches

I often had lard or pork dripping sandwiches as a lad. Salted 'em of course.

The Co-op butcher on Kirkewhite Street had some tasty stuff in bowl/basin, and the jelly wer' great!

Where did you get yer favourite from?

TTFN

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a good idea to go into a Butchers shop and ask him if he keeps dripping.

Hi TGC, We had a good sauce for our 'Dripping', when we were young we had an aunt who used to remove all fat, so once or twice a week Dad would take us visiting and we always went home with a bowl

We got it from Pinkett's, I think it was called, on corner of Nuthall Road and Denehurst. My Aunt Peg used to work there. In those days Thurday was half-day closing in Nottingham and she used to come

Hi TGC,

We had a good sauce for our 'Dripping', when we were young we had an aunt who used to remove all fat, so once or twice a week Dad would take us visiting and we always went home with a bowl full of delicious 'Dripping'. It never went far with us six kids. I think another place was Tivies on Main ,Road Gedling near Parks Corner,Dad used to buy all our bread fresh from there,and he always come back with 'Dripping' as well, unless he called at the 'Butchers on the way home. Mmmmmm I could just eat a thick crust, loads of salt and pepper.Not healthy but who cares at our age.

• Upvote 2

My mother used to save the dripping from when she did the Sunday roast. Had plenty of lard and drippin' when I was a kid and I am still alive englandflag

• Upvote 1

Too much water pumped into meat these days, & they cut all the fat off to make the joints 'look better' to the customer........... :(

Same as Pianoman, we used to have a Pyrex bowl which got topped-up whenever we had a roast. As well as bread & dripping sandwiches, my mum used it for frying, too.

As unhealthy as some seem to claim it is these days, it didn't stop my dad from living to 90 and his sister to 93.

And when me and the wife went to Sainsbury's yesterday, we were disgusted to see they were selling beef joints for Christmas with every last bit of fat trimmed-off. We weren't the only ones to be less than pleased. Other customers were saying the same thing.

• Upvote 1

We got it from Pinkett's, I think it was called, on corner of Nuthall Road and Denehurst. My Aunt Peg used to work there. In those days Thurday was half-day closing in Nottingham and she used to come up to see us every week with deliveries of brawn, dripping, shop-made pork scratchings, tripe, sausages and God knows what else. As a kid I actually used to like scratchings (these were flattish and quite hard - just lumps of fat actually) on bread and butter with salt and vinegar! It really was Fat-Fest Fursday! We also had chunks of lamb breast, roasted and eaten with dry bread. Eaten a la Henry VIII, with the fat dripping off yer elbows - my mouth's watering as I type!

I had my triple by-pass 9 years last July.

• Upvote 2

Affer, the only Pinkett's I remember sold sweets and tobacco. They were near the corner of Nuthall Rd and Bar Lane.

Pinketts was definitely a tuffeh shop...................( or dudoohs)

Anybody remember what it was called? It was definitely on the corner of Nuthall Road and Denehurst Avenue 'cos my aunt and uncle used to live in the flat above the shop. It was a pork butcher's shop so sold lots of cooked meats and what have you. I think on the other corner was a post office cum hardware shop and a couple of door further down Staniforth's fish and chip shop.

I use to buy dudoohs from a shop a few doors up towards Melbourne Road - I can't remember the name of that either!!!

• Upvote 1

There was a Newbolds on Nuthall Road near Bar Lane too. My father was at school with one of the sons. Sons name might have been Gerald but I could quite easily be wrong

I use to buy dudoohs from a shop a few doors up towards Melbourne Road - I can't remember the name of that either!!!

it was Bennets early 50s...then Cooks

I remember that shop corner of Denehurst did pork pies etc...I remember it was painted red...towards town that side was the post office/bike shop/chippie,and the shop with a double barreled name that I forget...who sold Meccano and Dinky toys.I mentioned them last year now the name has deserted me...bloody memory ;)

I've posted here before re me and my gran on a Saturday morning walking from here old house on Corperation road St Annes, down to St Annes wells road to buy pork dripping from the pork butcher and fresh crusty bread from the bakers and toddle off back for our lunch of same.

I've still got a weakness for it and if we buy a pork leg joint now, I will still collect the dripping from it and save in the fridge for later on bread.

Even got my wife into it, as at first she used to turn her nose up at it ! but now has it on toast with the usual lashings of salt.

Dads favorite pack up was Home rendered lard ! covered with salt, but I only liked the pork with the jelly part.

Going a bit off on a tangent here, but after many years of searching and trying diferent ideas I have found an almost perfect recipe for English style Potted Beef, if anyones interested I'll post it up.

Its like the real mccoy, that used to come in a large bowl at Pork Farms, not pale and tastless like some jars of spread.

Bread and dripping (with salt - and as much of the jelly as I could find) with a cold glass of milk was one of my favorites when getting home from a couple of pints at the local. Especially good if watching "The Rockford Files" on BBC2!

Poohbear #15. Was the double barreled name of the shop, something and Goodjohn? Also Bennett's sweet shop was owned by the mother of a friend of my brother. The son was in my brother's motorcycle group,[maybe late 50's] he went by the name of Big Ben. He was a big strapping lad, but I didn't know Ben wasn't his first name for years! [short for Bennett]

if we did not have home made hicking botoms pork buchers netherfield were we brought our faggotts . for beef dripping it was seth hogg on the other side of the rd in fackt i got some pork dripping in the fridge now think i might just have a slice chambers butchers in arnold.

:biggrin: Just reading the three little words: 'Pork Dripping Sandwiches' activates my taste buds. Love pork dripping, especially if there's lots of dark brown jelly, a pinch of salt and a scalding hot cup of tea to accompany my sandwiches.

Last ate pork dripping about 2 months ago; verdict?: SUMPTIOUS, food fit for the Gods...........(must have used half a loaf, t'was so delicious couldn't stop spreading - pssssssssssssssssst: what's cholesterol?)

PS: secret is to serve the pork dripping on fresh, white bread that has a crisp crust. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1