Pork Dripping Sandwiches

i have not drunk tea for nearly forty years now just as good with hot coffey enjoyed a couple of slices yesterday dave dose not like the jelly so i get it all with a bit of sailt lovely.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not a good idea to go into a Butchers shop and ask him if he keeps dripping.

Hi TGC, We had a good sauce for our 'Dripping', when we were young we had an aunt who used to remove all fat, so once or twice a week Dad would take us visiting and we always went home with a bowl

We got it from Pinkett's, I think it was called, on corner of Nuthall Road and Denehurst. My Aunt Peg used to work there. In those days Thurday was half-day closing in Nottingham and she used to come

It's nearly 60 years since we moved from Aslockton Drive - I've seen that butcher's name on another thread a year or so ago. His name was Jack - but what the surname was I can't remember. Pinkett's was the newsagent and tuffeh shop, as you say. Remember Bennetts' sweet shop, and Stansby's the chemist. There was a fish-merchant as well. Wasn't Newbold's the off-licence? Not sure...

The family butcher next to Stansbys was Jack Norris...a big cricket fan. Newboulds was over the road, a double fronted shop.And if there was a fishmongers I'm pretty sure it was in the Co-op.

There was a Newbolds on Nuthall Road near Bar Lane too. My father was at school with one of the sons. Sons name might have been Gerald but I could quite easily be wrong

By gum I remember them too.

Wasn't there a lady worked there who made cakes to sell? The jam and lemon curd tarts were out of this world! Mmmm!

:biggrin: Just reading the three little words: 'Pork Dripping Sandwiches' activates my taste buds. Love pork dripping, especially if there's lots of dark brown jelly, a pinch of salt and a scalding hot cup of tea to accompany my sandwiches.

Last ate pork dripping about 2 months ago; verdict?: SUMPTIOUS, food fit for the Gods...........(must have used half a loaf, t'was so delicious couldn't stop spreading - pssssssssssssssssst: what's cholesterol?)

PS: secret is to serve the pork dripping on fresh, white bread that has a crisp crust. :biggrin:

Spot on! Heaven!

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when mum used to do a roast when i was a kid, we used to dip bread in the dripping! Iv not had that in years!

• Upvote 1

Disaster yesterday!!!

Just pouring me gravy over me spuds - and got a spasm in me hand.

Took me ages to clean up, and the saucepan handle broke. Tsk! (Again!)

Off to town to get another one later today.

I'm gettin' fed-up wi missen!

very frustrating when things like that happen tgc i dont cook now dave dose it all as he got fed up with me keep droping thingswhen my hands lock .

• Upvote 1

very frustrating when things like that happen tgc i dont cook now dave dose it all as he got fed up with me keep droping thingswhen my hands lock .

Ah, anther 'hand-locker' I see. We should start a movement in support of hand-lockers in Nottingham? Hehe!

Take care.

you can still get pork dripping at morrisons or at the butchers shop in bulwell next to the littlewoods store opposite iceland not as nice as home renderd but still very tasty

:biggrin: The fishmongers on Nuthall Road was the Co-op and what a t'rific display the fishmonger put on: 'A feast for sore eyes' - there's an old saying for you.........

I hope this was around 1970ish?

If so, I was that fishmonger - I love working at that shop, hard work getting set up each day, a 0600hr start was needed, I even used to open on a Sunday morning.

Ah, happy memories...

Pork dripping, well salted on toast! :jumping:

And when skint - lard with salt and pepper. One thing i miss about Notty is the 'Potted Meat'. can't get it here at all.