I have been told that many years ago a greengocer in Bulwell advertised his spuds with a sign, 'I've got the biggest 'taters in town'. Apparently he was asked to remove it.

I like the signs in rival butchers shops in Swindon many moons ago...One put...'Home made sausages fit for the Queen'

The next day the one opposite put his up saying...'God save the Queen!'

When I was at the Co-op greengrocery/wet fish store on the corner of Nuthall Road opposite the Commodore, I used to make up a daily chalked blackboard with the prices of fish available that day.

Once, instead of putting Dogfish 3/6 lb, I just put Dog 3/6 lb.

A couple of local wits got in with "I'll take sum o' that poodle mate!" and "Is it Alsation then?" (or similar) before I could get out and change it.

Still it caused a good laugh all round.

Affergorrit, My son served his time and later worked as a novice hairdresser at Ewan Burns who also owned the tanning shop. My son managed that for him in the evenings after the hairdresser shut for the day. I used to laugh at those signs.

Here in Mansfield, there is a 'Private shop' (nudge nudge) on Ratcliffe Gate. Next door is a sandwich shop called 'Big Baps'.

In the 60s when my mum worked in the wines and spirits department of Richardsons cash and carry at Wollaton, she served a variety of customers. She used to tell me about the two shops on Plantation Road in Firbeck which had the names Merry and Christmas. I never went to see if she was just pulling my leg.

somebody i know once wrote on black board outside mr salts in segness under the name and mrs vinigar fish and chips

At the Minster car park in Southwell, there are public toilets. The ladies sign can be seen right across the car park. Years ago there used to be another sign underneath it (obviously referring to the car park) saying "HAVE YOU PAID AND DISPLAYED?". I wonder why they took it down.

• Upvote 1

Remember on Alfreton rd there was Dave Peddler...sold pushbikes.....when I bought one off him , I said you have the right name for your job...he said 'thats not my name'...his name was really Dave Busted....but Busted Bicycles may not have been a good idea.

• Upvote 1

Sign seen outside a Nottingham church in the seventies.

May have been The Albert Hall Methodist Mission?

"We are always at your service... When will you be at ours?"

In Derby, just off London Road, there was a junk shop, owned by a chap I knew - Tom Heldreich. He had a sign outside (and it might still be there for all I know, although Tom died many years ago). It read "We deal in bits and bobs - You take the bits; We take the bobs."

I did hear the one about the Asian building contractors whose van bore the words "Patel brothers. You've had the cowboys, now try the Indians"

I noticed on the bus to Mansfield, there were several Chinese takeaways on the route.

All had a green and yellow frontage.

A sign on one read: "Wok can we do for you?", another one "Wok this way".