Nuthall Road Aspley 1940/50s

Pianoman

I've found a Charles S Prince b1917 in Basford Notts but his mothers name at registration was already Harvey.

Although not in my family tree so far I would think that there is a connection somewhere as all the Prince families lived in New Basford area late 1880s early 1900s certainly worth a bit more research. It's on my list.

Charles Stanley Prince that was my fathers half brother was known as Stan. I assume that was because his father was also Charles Stanley. His (the younger) wife was Gladys nee Worley and I know they married at St Leodegarious so your Basford connection may be right.

His mothers (and my fathers mothers) maiden name was Cooper but C S Princes birth certificate may give the name Lakin as mothers maiden name as she was already widowed once in 1916. C S Prince the elder died in 1918 of the flu. C S Prince (Stan) was a bit of a rogue to put it politely. They lived for a time at your end of Melbourne Road (25).

Steve Sheffield worked in his dad's chippy in the 60's, before taking over in the late 70's, Steve was a proper Mod, full length leather, scooter etc...........but also a bit of a bully

My hubby, Malc Taylor knew Steve Sheffield, he didn't work in a chippy, he worked for his dad, Bert Sheffield and his 2 brothers, they had a Butcher's shops opposite the Newcastle Arms Pub......He married a swedish girl and lives in Sweden, he owns a Factory out there.......He has 2 brothers John and Pete.........My hubby works for Pete in Ilkeston...........

#1 'D' the cooked meat shop was Bert Sheffield's Butcher shop where he worked/lived with his wife, 3 sons, John Pete and Steve........

He has a business called Spondon Cheese at Ilkeston.....My hubby who was also a butcher and worked for his dad Joe Taylor & son in Cinderhill now works for Pete.........

Hi Pianoman #27

Don't know how much of this you have but this is what I've found.

WW1 records show

Charles Prince enlisted 13 April 1918 in Nottingham age 48 years and 2 months - next of kin was Florence Rose Prince (nee Laykin) married 1916, living at 49 Althorpe Grove, Vernon Road.- Charles Stanley Prince born 3 August 1917. Charles Prince died 1918 and letter showing all personal possessions were sent early 1919 to Florence Rose Harvey post diverted from Althorpe Grove to 10 Derwent Street Nottingham.

His enlistment form states that Charles born 1870 was born in Cape Town South Africa so unfortunately I can't see a link with my lot.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I found this site when trying to remember the shops on Nuthall Road. I lived on Melbourne Road, no 55 from around 1950 (when I was born) to around 1974 (when I  married and moved to West Bridgford. I think the Sheffield family were butchers, close to the chip shop, not chip shop owners, as I remember the chip shop was owned by a man by the name of Staniforth, and his son David, played for Sheffield Wednesday (something his farther was very proud of as he would mention it to most of his customers on a regular basis). I also remember beets the butcher (just down from the chemist) he used to give me a piece of corned beef to encourage me to shop there, something my mum wasn't happy about as she said he added an extra 3D to the bill to pay for it. The post office was incorporated into a shop named Wardles, this shop sold everything from garden supplies, clothes, haberdashery as well as diy electrical. We used to ask pickets for old newspapers which we used to take to the chip shop and ge a free portion of chips, with batter bits of course!. The pork butchers was known to us as 'Peggy Peels' on account of Peggy (mentioned earlier in a post) who used to run it. Mum used to send us for faggots and gravy in a dish on a Friday - divine!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...
On 20/09/2014 at 5:40 PM, DaveN said:

The garage was Breffits and sold Vespa scooters.

I  worked at Breffitts,1954. April till Oct.

I remember Ted Breffitt and Ernest Dench.

Most of the staff were related.

We use to go to the chip shop on Friday lunch.

I was told that Breffitt owned the site which is now Sainsbury's. Was the Commadoor -Aspley picture house

I then went to work at Weller Engineering on Wigman Road.

Was there a long time

I have just joined this site

Welcome to Nottstalgia, jdsnottm. Hope you'll enjoy the site.

I grew up in Bobbers Mill and knew Nuthall Road very well.  Went to school with a Jennifer Dench whose family lived in Newquay Avenue. She may have been related to Ernest Dench.

Look forward to reading more of your memories.

Something has just jogged my memory. You mentioned Weller Engineering, jds. My father was a sheet metal engineer and I recall hearing him mention a company called Weller Gauge. Would it be the same one? I don't know whether he ever worked there. During my childhood, he worked at Summit Engineering and before I was born he had worked for Blackburn & Starling. 

I remember the Weller Gauge and Engineering Company on Nuthall Road. Think it was on the right going away from Bobbers Mill heading for Western Boulevard. There was also a company called En Tous Cas.

• 3 weeks later...