Nuthall Road Aspley 1940/50s

I've joined up some images from 'Britain from the Air' to show the area mentioned in the Pork Dripping thread.

These were taken in '46 and I've marked some of the premises as I remember them (in the 50s)...I think I'm about right. Strange how some shops haven't registered in my memory...probably because they were of no interest to a young kid at the time.

If you 'save' and enlarge with your cursor it's quite a clear picture.

a319mo.jpg

A...Cycle Shop (Harris ?)

B...Post Office

C...Denehurst Avenue

D...The cooked meat shop(Can't remember name)

E...Bennets sweet shop

F...Watkins the Grocers

G...This was a garage...name unknown

H...Jack Norris the butchers

J...Stansbys the chemist

K...The Co-op

L...sub police station

M...Library

N...Public Toilets

O...Aspley Cinema

P...Dr Ryans Surgery

R...Pinkets paper shop

S...Newboulds Beeroff

T...The site of George Jones hairdresser...not yet built

George at this time had a shop under the cinema which became a cafe,

other shops under there were Emmings the greengrocer...Mc Carthys

sweet shop...and a bank

U...The new prefabs estate

• Upvote 3

Does anyone know anything about that big house in the top right corner that seems to have stables?

It's marked on an 1882 map as Newcastle Cottage but I suspect a few years later it was known as Hollyholm and was owned by a gentleman that owned the hide,skin,and glue factory near Trent Bridge (mentioned on another thread I can't find)

I remember the brick cop shop on Melbourne Road. It was a bit like the one on Strelley Road. The pit railway ran across Melbourne Ropad thereabouts. I remember me and a friend walking the length of it in the mid 60s.

I remember the cop shop on Melbourne as being a dirty grey pebble dashed afair. My fathers parents lived at 25 and later retained by my fathers eldest sister. That was next door but two(?) to the railway line. My uncle used to park his car on the railway line on the central reservation on Sundays. I remember my aunts comment when they demolished the police station was that she wasn't going to feel safe any more. Must have been demolished in about 1966 or 67

• 2 weeks later...

Further along going left was a TV shop, also sold toys, big double fronted shop, Radio Rentals? Also chip shop owned by the Sheffield Family

Paulus - was the TV shop Lee and Goodjohn? Interesting that you mention that the chip shop was Sheffields. That has brought it all back - when I started at Whitemoor Infants school in 1954, there was a Stephen Sheffield in the same class. As it isn't a particularly common surname I assume there is a connection.

Stephen Ford...

Just read your post and lo and behold your name jogged a memory...One of those unamed shops was a Fords...drapery,kids clothing etc.I can't remember exactly which one though.

One outstanding memory I have from those days is almost unbelievable.Going to that chippie one night there was a tawny owl perched on the sign that stuck out from the wall. What the hell it was doing there I've no idea...I wonder if it was a tame escapee? I've never to this day seen one away from trees before.

I'm not 100% on this but I think Lee and Goodjohns had a branch on Arkwright Street too.

Paulus - was the TV shop Lee and Goodjohn? Interesting that you mention that the chip shop was Sheffields. That has brought it all back - when I started at Whitemoor Infants school in 1954, there was a Stephen Sheffield in the same class. As it isn't a particularly common surname I assume there is a connection.

Steve Sheffield worked in his dad's chippy in the 60's, before taking over in the late 70's, Steve was a proper Mod, full length leather, scooter etc...........but also a bit of a bully

Stephen Ford...

Just read your post and lo and behold your name jogged a memory...One of those unamed shops was a Fords...drapery,kids clothing etc.I can't remember exactly which one though.

....and there's a whole thread about Fords if anyone wants more details http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9920&hl=ford#entry133949

• 9 months later...

Re Nuthall Road 1940/50.

The big old house opposite the Commodore was the home of my wife's friend. She lived there with her family and her father ran the Watson's dairy from there. It was later demolished and Commodore Gardens was the result. I lived at No 17 for a short time around 1970.

I think the cold meats shop was Peel's Pork Butchers. They made their own pork scratchings, brawn and stuff like that. My aunt Peggy used to work there and bring us loads of goodies (bacon, sausages, scratchings ....) on a Thursday afternoon which was half-day closing.

She later bought the little sweet cum grocery shop next door or next-door-but-one.

• 7 months later...

Original images posting by poohbear brilliant brought back many memories.

I lived in the new prefabs in 1946, number 9 Aslockton Drive where I spent many a day riding around on my Gresham Flyer. Across the road and down to the left, next to or very near to Breffits was a derelict farm building. I think it was Newcastle Farm? Lots of the kids played there. Going out from the back of the farm led to the railway lines and some allotments.

McCarthy's sweetshop in 1946 was Dorothy's my grandma, Nellie McCarthy who was my aunt took it on I would think around the mid 50s. A real treat on my visits was warm roasted salted peanuts I can still visualise the machine on the counter they were a great seller to the Aspley cinema clients. The chippy was also a treat, pie and chips and Dandelion and Burdock sticks in my memory.

Hello davep - we lived at no.11 Aslockton Drive. I think my grandma was the first tenant (Mrs Watts) and my mum, dad and myself went to live with her in 1950. We all moved to Long Eaton in 1954. I think the people at no.9 at that time were surnamed Hardy - is that you by any chance? I think they had a daughter Jean. The other side of us, at no.13 was my aunt, uncle and cousin - name of Daniels, and from the dim recesses of my brain, I think the next prefab up - no.15 - the people's surname was Maskery. Any of this ring any bells?

Hi Stephen

We moved into Aslockton in 1946 and moved to Broxtowe, Lindfield Road in 1950 when I was 5. Unfortunately I was too young to take in people's surnames. I'll speak with my brother and see if he knows any of the names. My surname is Prince.

I wonder if you could be related to my fathers half brother. He was Charles Stanley Prince born 1917. His name would have changed from Prince to Harvey in 1919 when his mother married my fathers father, Edward Harvey. I've probably gone back too far tho'.