sweet dreams and strange names

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alpine was another pop firm that delivered, there was a Polish guy worked there Mr Dropusabottlapopov.

Compo's description of cigarette type packets reminded me of Cadbury Flat Twenties, individual pieces of choccy a la Neopolitans, in silver paper, inside a cardboard slide packet, both in Dairy Milk a

Ref #83 "NOTICE : Will customers please NOT sit by the bacon slicing machine, as we are getting behind with our orders"

Compo's description of cigarette type packets reminded me of Cadbury Flat Twenties, individual pieces of choccy a la Neopolitans, in silver paper, inside a cardboard slide packet, both in Dairy Milk and Bournville Plain

• Upvote 3
  • 2 weeks later...

a few more old favourites. Barkers potted meat,Binghams salmon paste,Parrs sausauges,Richmond sausauges,wonderloaf,Sunblest bakery and blanchards,duck eggs from melton,Bostocks Bacon,pyclets,colwick cheese,lard weighed in the shop,soaked peas with a steeper,ulster Bacon,Bev and Bon coffee ,there i go again,back to Marsdens :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Used to love Neilsons ice cream. Canadian company a bit like Midland Counties but harder to find.

In the early 60s a shop on Berridge Rd called Cliffs (run by a Scottish lady) used to sell it.

Also adored Benson's lime and liquorice and Merry Maid chocolate caramels.

What about Nibbits?

• Upvote 1

Re # 84 them woz Oxo cubes you numnut......... LOL

• Upvote 2

What were them cube shaped really sharp tasting, wrapped in foil thingy sweets - yer could taste em for ages after you'd 'ad one?

Worrit Barnips, or something like that?

Yep. They were Barnips.

Small brown square cubes in a gold foil wrapper. Used to be supplied in large red screw cap tins with a picture of an old geezer sneezing into a handkerchief. Enough to put anyone off although I used to like them. They were quite expensive I recall.

If you like medicated sweets I recommend Jakemans. The black ones taste like Venos (liquorice and aniseed). Cost about 50p a bag in Tesco.

BTW my dad used to always point out that Gartons is an anagram of snotrag.

• Upvote 1

I'll check my birth certificate when I get home.

Do you support Notts County? That's in the genes too I'm told. There can't be any other reason for such lunacy.

Got the bit about the geezer sneezing into his handkerchief completely wrong (not for the first time)

The product he's associated with is Hacks.

Saves all you medicated sweet aficionados putting me straight.

Neilsons ice cream was taken over by Mr Softee ( Massarellas of Doncaster) . When I worked part time for them, I sometimes took out a Neilsons van which only sold scoop ice cream. It was really creamy, a bit like Cornish. I ate loads myself.

Palm toffee bars. 3d in the 1950s.

Loved the banana split one. Used to get mine at Ambergate Rd newsagents. Guess you did too.

They also did a strawberry split.

Toffos different flavours,think it was mcintosh toffos, was there also choclates in the sixties called lucky numbers ?.

If you google Cadbury's Lucky Numbers you'll find lots of pictures and other references.

Robert Opies book Sweet Memories is full of great stuff relating to sweets and chocolate.

There's one for sale here:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?an=opie&sts=t&tn=sweet+Memories

and a preview here:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=mbgQJQ9cKYAC&pg=PA22&lpg=PA22&dq=lucky+numbers+cadburys&source=bl&ots=QYXlJ_A8_X&sig=HQ4u_qWAM2PWuCblbctKcBXZLLM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=g7YLU5qiJYeK7AbD7IHYCQ&ved=0CEsQ6AEwBDgK#v=onepage&q=lucky%20numbers%20cadburys&f=false

Fantastic read.