Winston Churchill funeral.

#25 Yes, I have no intention of being disrespectful to the name of Churchill, the old prejudices were born before I was and are a matter of history but memories amongst communities are long and sometimes bitter.

• Upvote 1

You never mention either Winston Churchill or Maggie Thatcher on the Welsh Coal Mining Forum, they don't mind you bringing sheep and Welshmen up in the same sentance, but mention those two Tories and get banned...

• Upvote 2
  • 11 months later...

CERTAINLY after the War 'Churchill' was not loved by the working classes of Notts,i think it was 1950 general election when i as a 5 yr old along with about 50 others were running behind a 'Labour party van' that was urging the locals to vote,and as we passed the house of a Conservative voter with picture of Winston in his window we all booed'

Obviously as a 5 yr old did'nt really know why,except we must have heard our parents comments on the Conservatives.How times have changed,now we should boo the lot of em,

I think 'Churchill' was a great war leader,but after he was not for the working classes.

• Upvote 1

Did'nt watch 'Winstones' funeral, i was managing Marsdens shop on lower Parliament st and we closed for 5 mins at 11am,makes me feel old to think it was 50 yrs ago.

The thing i remember about that shop was the rounded front,and i believe the buildings there today still have the same style,it used to back on to the Sneinton fruit/veg market opposite the 'ice stadium' and a little higher up.

Nothing to do with Winston but was just reading on one of our Facebook local history sites about how they had discovered a diary of a local , rich industrialists travels in the 1800s . He was also the local MP for a time .

Looked his name up in the news archives . one quote said that just about the only thing he did in the House of Commons was "open the windows" !

When asked why he had never ever visited a certain important mining town of the time, whilst in office he replied "let sleeping dogs lay" ! He didn't get re-elected !