Don't know about the UK Loppy, but we are getting some real bitter weather in the south, well below average temps, snow to about 10 inches here in the Ozarks. Started as ice pellets and freezing rain yesterday morning, then changed to snow over night. We are about 30F degrees BELOW average for this time of year, this is mid January weather.

Fast becoming a knackered old git, I remember snow and freezing temperatures a few years after WWII, temperatures which today make folk shiver with cold and shock. Who amongst us remembers scraping ice of the inside of their bedroom windows?

• Upvote 6

Hey, Tomlinson...remember the ice on the inside of the windows very well at both Cliff Drive and the Kennels.

It used to be so thick that if you were careful, you could lift it from the window pane and then suck on the ice.

Wasn't a winter or Christmas without the inside ice. And that was with fires burning in the hearths!

• Upvote 1

Yes, remember ice inside my bedroom window, the only warm room in the house was the sitting room with the open fire. Dad would build the fire up and then put 'slack' on top to keep it going for longer. It was still burning in the morning but the rest of the house was so damn cold.

Anybody remember the East coast flood, I think it was around 1953 or so. Tremendous damage as I remember it. My folks always speculated that someone dropped a nuke in the North sea and that caused it. I wouldn't pretend to know but stranger things have happened.

Crazy weather here too. I was working out in the yard today in 70+ temps. Last week it was colder than average. Things are getting strange.

Definitely something up. The last two days here in Victoria, Oz weren't that much different to the middle of Winter, and it's supposed to be Summer. We had one day with a top of 36 degC, then two with tops of just 13 degC. A bit warmer today made it to 21 degC.

Can we have locations back on the left sidebar Mike?

The council houses at Aspley and surrounds used to have cast iron ovens heated by the fire in the 'front room' and we had an oven shelf wrapped in a towel to use as a 'hot water bottle'. The shelf being of cast iron, it worked very well against frosty temperatures.

Around a foot of snow here, deepest I've seen it since moving down here 14 years back, normal average snowfall for a season is about 6-8 inches. And it's 7F here at the moment or minus 14C, sun hasn't got up yet so will drop lower.

Was bad in Boston Lincs with plenty of folk flooded out in the town, weather not bad now though, still wearing me shorts, hope the seal pups at Donna Nook have not been washed away like they were a couple of years ago, might nip over to see them tomorrow

Rog

Loppylugs, I also remember the 1953 east coast floods.

Parents drove up to Skeggy on a day trip in late March, some 6-7 weeks after the storm, just to see the aftermath.

Remember looking out of the window at the flat fields of Lincolnshire as we approached Skeggy and whilst no vast areas of flooding; the fields had a drowned look with the grass and vegetation laying flat.

Remember getting into Skeggy, parking near an esplanade and my father and an uncle and aunt who had followed in their car walking up to the top of the wall and looking around. I was not allowed out of the car and my mother, nursing my baby brother, stayed with me. I can remember most of all the sand and stones all over the road and the damage to houses and places everywhere.

Next thing I knew, we were on our way back home again without me ever getting out of the car - Skeggy was still recovering and very little for day trippers!

Extreme weather today as well, but a different kind of extreme. The temperature is at least 10c and more like Spring.

And yet...... 3 years ago this was the month when the temperature never got above freezing.

As mentioned on several other sites, yesterday evening produced a spectacular sunset.

sunset.jpg

• Upvote 1

Your average for this time of year is 7C, so your within parameters for early December....Records have been broken where I live, 1degree below the lowest recorded low was recorded at Kansas City, Missouri the other day together with the lowest daytime high reading at the same place...

Our average high for this time of years is 9C, but todays forecast is minus 1C, warmest day in nearly a week!! And we had between 10 and 12 inches of snow, double what we normally get in a full winter season.

Woke up early this morning - 5.00am, after a night of very unseasonal squalls - strong winds with rain. The rain didn't just pitter patter, it was more like a bucket being emptied over the roof, a very big bucket, and the wind was howling. This is supposed to be Summer here - Melbourne, Oz. Still have all my Winter blankets on the bed too, and last night watching DVD's had on a thick jumper and long skirt. I am aware that there is no such thing as "normal" weather here, but this is getting to be a bit stoopid. Shall complain when next talking with God.

PS. It will be interesting to hear what she has to say. :)

Further:

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Victoria

Updated Marine Wind Warning Summary for Victoria
Issued at 5:11 am EDT on Tuesday 10 December 2013
for the period until midnight EDT Wednesday 11 December 2013.

Wind Warnings for Tuesday
Gale Warning for the following areas:
Port Phillip, West Coast, Central Coast, Central Gippsland Coast and East
Gippsland Coast
Strong Wind Warning for the following areas:
Western Port and Gippsland Lakes

Gale warnings in Summer !!!!

Should be out sipping pina colardas on the beach by now or mint juleps on the patio.