The Things we do For Food we Fancy

Well you guys are going to think me a little crazy or ecentric but today I drove 180klm (108 miles) round trip to buy some English style pork pies, 2kg of Cumberland sausage and two rather nice slices of dry cured gammon !

We heard on the travellers grapevine here of a couple of expats from Stockport who have set up in business in partnership with a local pig farmer, producing these products to satisfy a demand of ex pats living here who still yearn for he real thing and not some aussie inferior copy.

They have a small farm shop and supply to local farmers markets currently, but their business is booming and one of the owners told us he thinks they have created a monster !

He looked physically worn out !

We had a great day trip out and bought the said wares and sampled a pork pie to die for for lunch, and had some sausages for tea, the rest are in the freezer.

We were not dissapointed !

Has anyone else done something similar for a food fancy ?

• Upvote 3

Last time I was in Nottingham, 1997. We went over to the Chatsworth farm shop. We didn't buy much as you can't take it back to Canada. There did seem to be a pretty good selection of sausage, cheese etc. Nice run out for an afternoon too.

I used to bite my finger nails(could not get my toes near my mouth ;)) till I had my teeth out but not any more

I was quite young(26) when I had my teeth out.

One good point now is if they ache I just take them out hellothere

Banjo48: The stomachs cravings must be obeyed eh? Hehe!

I reckoned I was a bit silly in getting the bus to Derby to get Marmite cheese bites.

Does anyone know if they are on sale in Nottingham, because I can't find any yet please?

Found Marmite cheese slices, but not the Marmite mini babybel baublet type.

TTFN.

When I visit Nottm, one of my first things I do is hit Tesco's, Morrison's or Sainsbury's and maybe Asda, to fullfill my missed food fantasies !

I think it is so hard to not get foods that we grew up with and only poor imitations available in oz.

Real ham off the bone, dry cured hams and bacon, the proverbial pork pie, real pickled onions and without doubt a real pork sausage roll not what I term dog sh#t rolls that are served up here and contain anything from beef, mutton and god knows what else !

I love Australia and it has been very good to me and my kids, but my food fancies sometimes lead me :-))

I thought I was mad driving 40 odd miles to Lincoln for Fish & Chips !

Which Chippy in Lincoln?

Travel quite a distance now to see Sam at The Balti House Heathcote Street.

banjo,try Fehlbergs pickled onions from Woolworths.They're the best ones I've found.

Also Coles do a passable pork pie.

Baz :ninja:

Thanks Baz, bought a jar and can confirm they ae the best I have tasted in oz ! The pckled onions that is, we do not have a Coles near us at present though so cannot try the pork pie.

The jar we bought actually had pickling spices in there too so almost the real thing and not at all sweet like those cocktail rubbishy things.

I suppose I've been spoilt as my gran used to make her own pickled onions and mum also used to grow them and make them.

• Upvote 1

Banjo.

My mum also used to make her own pickled onions and pickled beetroot.

I used to eat them like lollies.Eventually I became allergic to beetroot and only came back to eating them in later life.

What good is a hamburger without a couple of slices of beetroot eh ?

Baz :ninja:

Monday I was in Arras, visiting an old friend for a few days, and before going home to the Vosges I had a day trip to Dover, to buy some Yuletide goodies, after my shopping trip I sat on the cliffs near Dover castle eating a pork pie and stilton, drinking a bottle of Poachers choice ale, waiting for my ferry home..

• Upvote 4

1,000 miles round trip to Bolton for a stock of Crumbly Lancashire cheese. Unobtainable here in Scotland. I must be fecking mad!

• Upvote 4