The Things we do For Food we Fancy

1,000 miles round trip to Bolton for a stock of Crumbly Lancashire cheese. Unobtainable here in Scotland. I must be fecking mad!

Compo

Makes my effort a bit sad doesn't it.

But a little of what you fancy does you good ! they say.

I used to love them crumbly cheeses, we buy cracker barrel vintage in a black wrapper as its about the only one with any taste here.

Just a wee bit warm here in oz today at 42C ! going to be a scorcher for the holidays here too.

Promble is that the crumbly cheeses don't keep. That, I understand, is why they are rarely found outside of their native areas.

There is a cheese stall on Bolton Market that does all the local cheeses, all from their source. When I go they vacuum pack a large amount of cheese for me and a friend; that way it keeps for up to a month in teh fridge.

• Upvote 2

told other half i was goin bed earlier, two hours later i text saying i was hungry and could be bring me a cuppa & some biscuits up. he was not a happy bunny, i wont be home from work till 2am tomorrow so should of maybe spent some time with him this eve... oops.

• Upvote 1

Yesterday I found Tea Cakes made in Scotland, Cadbury's Fingers, McVities Choc biscuits, Maltesers, & Penquin bars,

$39 later I'm a happy camper.

• Upvote 3

All this talk of pork pies recently so my good lady has spent almost 3 hours today making me a real English style pork pie ! shoulder and belly pork, all the spices (the internet is a wonderful thing) and genuine hot water pastry made with beef dripping.

Will try and post a pic when it has cooled down and she has filled with aspic jelly.

Last week she did a trial with chicken, pork and sage & onion stuffing, bit like a game pie, was excellent so high hopes for this one tomorrow after chilling in the fridge all night.

Some ozzy friends had never seen anything like it but gave it 5 stars after consuming half of it :laugh:

• Upvote 3

Banjo48

Your wife's Pork Pie sounds delicious. Lucky You! We have searched the shops here in West Midlands in the hope of finding a Pork Farms Pie but to no avail. We have settled for a Melton Mowbrey from CO-OP and i have to say it was very nice, just needed a bit more jelly. I have just polished a third of it off with Branston Pickle and followed it with Cherry Pie and Double Cream, I really believe in no time like the present.That's my excuse! Merry Christmas :rolleyes: :)