Ay up miducks...

I am Steve and have lived in Nottingham since I was born many moons ago. (1960).

I am old enough to have had a pint or three in the Wilberforce Tavern before it was knocked down for the Royal Hotel. Can you remember, the dartboard was on the back of the door. Very intersting if a game was in progress as you walked in!!

And I still frequent the pubs of Nottingham but like all of a certain age, the music is too bloody loud now!!

I need a bit of assistance in identifying the names of some restaurants that no longer exist.

When Tobys shop on Friar lane closed it became an antiques centre and then a restaurant before changing to what is now the Approach.. What was the restaurant called?

The was an indian restaurant on Maid Marion Way (2000 - 2004ish) just up from Peoples college (same side). It has long gone, unsurprisingly as I recall it was not to good.. Can anyone remember what it was called?

You may be asking why am I trying to get these names. Well, me and a group of friends have our xmas meal each year and this is our 30th year. Between us we have identified most places we have eaten at but some have just escaped our mind. This is probably due to the amount we drank on the night....

I look forward to some interesting replys, as its been good fun researching here already. Hence my comment about the Wilberforce Tavern, I had not thought about that place for a long time.

Come on you reds...

SteveB

The Indian that I remember on Maid Marion Way, in the area you mention, was The Kashmir. Used to go there after Babels in the 70's....Tandoori chicken for breakfast before leaving at about 5.00 am slywink

Thank you...

The internet's a big place to find little gems...

The Wilberforce was between Wollaton Street and Talbot Street, literally where reception is in the Royal Moat House Hotel. Only went in few times and mainly because it was due to be demolished..

Yep. You are spot on. It is the Phoenix Bar & Restaurant. Even now I cant recall it at all...!

One more restaurant is definitely wrong on my list.....

On barker Gate in the Lace market (1990-1996) there was an Italian restaurant where, I think, Anoki restaurant is now.... It may be where Eviva Taverna is, but we think that was a bar not a restaurant... Its not Bistro Live.

Any ideas what this one was called?

Welcome to The Forum Zen, you'll like it now yer've dipped yer toe in !

A big fan of Blakes 7 perhaps, or something a little more Mayahannic?

Sorry can't help with your restaurant queries as I left Notts in 1971 and not been back to the City for many a year.

didn't realise it was the wilberforce that had the snackery underneath it. funnily enough there is a picture of it today on the nottingham site on facebook.

• 2 years later...

Couple of things on here of interest, great chip shop next to The Wilberforce.. didn't sell spirits apparently.

darkazana mentioned late meals at The Kashmir on Maid Marion Way..used to play cards till dawn after a curry in there.. always remember The Solid Fuel Advisory shop next door...became Pineapple?? Wood furniture shop??..or was that in Carrington?