Bike Shop in Radford Road

Lizzie #23

In the 1950s we shared a little "Three Wheeler", but only to ride around the shared court yard on Hardy's Drive I was about 5/6yrs old. As we grew older Mam would not let us have Bikes, she considered them to dangerous.If only she had seen us flying down Arnold Lane on The Handle bars of our mates. Great stuff. We have bikes now, mine is a Raleigh. Mind you we only ride on the canal tow paths away from the traffic.

• Upvote 1

It seems a lot of us got new bikes if we passed our 11 Plus Exams. I had to wait some time after though until I got mine.

I got a Coventry Eagle, straight handlebars and silver grey in colour. Even had a speedo!

I saw the bike, or one like it, in the window of the bike store down the road from the Odeon in Market Square......Halfords?

My father did a bit of a trade with the owner which involved a young pup in the exchange.

Before Levi's became popular, there were two very good brands of jeans, probably many more, but I remember these, one was Varlson, and the other was.........and you know what...the name has just gone out of my head!

I also had a pair of the bronze ones, which when you turned them up, had almost dark yellow innards.

The cheap jeans of the day were Tec Sak, or possibly Tec Sac, and were very thin material by comparison.

Then of course the likes of Levi, Wrangler and Lee all became the ones to have in the mid sixties onwards.

I still have my very first pair of 501's which are in a state of ruin, I'll try and post a pic on here.

Just remembered the brand,

They were Lybro, and a quick Google brings up an ad campaign of theirs at the time they were popular.

re#20, yes Christine, I remember the Pink Witch bike, it was a toss up between having one of those, or the Palm Beach, I went with the latter. This would be about 1960/61.