Gor owt Ode Like This

#24.

That reminds me we had a Goblin cylinder vacuum, one day I spilt some powder whilst reloading 12g shotgun shells. Being a dutiful husband whipped out the vacuum to hoover up before SWMBO's return.

That's when I found out that shotgun powder and sparks from the motor don't mix. Bladdy big bang, dead vacuum. Never heard the last of that one.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, Carni. Didn't know you can get 'lectric ones. This one goes back to the middle of the last century. Handle's been stuck up with superglue a few times.

Rob.L #6 Still got the cobbler's last which was found in the father in law's shed after his passing. The wife can remember her father actually repairing shoes for the family using the last. Had t

When I finally started earning decent money I would buy my parents something nice for birthday or Christmas I could stop by by dads second hand store a week later & see it anytime.

Back in 1953 we moved into our first proper home a private rented house badly in need of redecoration, my father in law told me to "get a good brush & don't let anyone borrow it", so I paid £2 12/6d. for a 7in. paperhangers brush, its paid for itself 100s of times over and can still slap the paste on with only half the bristles left. It was 'borrowed' when my children were setting up in their homes but, of course, I went along with it!

PS Bilbrolad post 10 the father in law mentioned was named Bob Wooley, ring any bells?

PPS Further to the above post the price of the first rolls of wallpaper it pasted was about 3/6 a roll,I last used it last year with some heavyweight bathroom paper @ £12.00 a roll! Thank Goodness it was ready trimmed!

Further to clearing my late Dad's house. I found his text books from when he was training to be a joiner just after the war. Also the milk pan me mum used to warm milk up for our shredded wheat in the winters of the early 50s.

Got my dads old trade books from around 1946, bricklaying trade skills, also still got his tools from when he died 40 odd years ago, still in the same bag including a wooden spirit level.The trowells are not a deal of good now but I am loathe to throw them out, as I know he once used them.

And got my grans flat iron and fireside stand to keep it warm.

Teresa does the same smoke alarm goes off & I go into the kitchen bend down to see if there is anyone in there under the layer of smoke..Most times its a good T bone steak or a nice joint of beef.

Acquired my late father's(d1992) gardening encylopedias(three volumes) last week

Mother had kept the for all those years but as I now like growing my own veg she thought they would be of use to me.

They were published in 1954

We inherited an old lawn mower, the push along type when we bought this house. I'd love to use it as a planter in the garden but suspect it will disappear overnight like the sundial did a couple of years ago.

Still got Dad's old Wolf electric drill which he bought about 1958, complete with thinggys for mixing paint and a cotton polishing pad. Have to say I never dare use it, sticking to my good old common or garden Black and Decker which is still almost like new 'cos I only just bought it in 1978 !

• Upvote 1

I have the father-in-law's sea chest containing his carpenter's tools from WWII. He was a ship's carpenter throughout the war.

• Upvote 2

I still have my Granddad's tool chest which he made when he was an artificer (?) in the Royal Navy during WW1. He was an engineer attached to the submarine service based in Jarrow.

I have recently been trying to search any info regarding this branch of the Senior service but have come up with not a lot at present. Anyone any suggestions where to look ?

carni we got married end december 1972 41 years this month i was brought the same mixer as a wedding present still got it in the back of my kitchen cuboards somewerenot used it in a while but it was in perfect working order last time i did

Can't beat the old stuff Babs, mine just needs a bit of glue,soon be back in action. We too got married Boxing Day 1966, 47yrs, my hubbs says You get less for murder. Whens your anniversary Babs.

30th day before new years evenew years eve was on a sunday that year and you could not get married on a sunday then or i whould have got married new years eve.

Looking a bit worse for wear now but........ hands up all those who used to cover their books like this:

IMG_9209.JPG?gl=GB

i did. i had the luxury of an aunt and uncle who had a wallpaper shop, so i would get the sample book to use. a different wallpaper for each book, and i could draw on the back of the smooth wallpapers.

That metal implement is more commonly known as an eyelet plier .

You punch the hole in the fabric and then usually put in a metal eyelet to stop it fraying.

81ENQcxcV2L._SL1500_.jpg

• Upvote 1