Gor owt Ode Like This

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wow, Carni. Didn't know you can get 'lectric ones. This one goes back to the middle of the last century. Handle's been stuck up with superglue a few times.

Rob.L #6 Still got the cobbler's last which was found in the father in law's shed after his passing. The wife can remember her father actually repairing shoes for the family using the last. Had t

When I finally started earning decent money I would buy my parents something nice for birthday or Christmas I could stop by by dads second hand store a week later & see it anytime.

After my parents died we ended up with this jug .
I was sure I was told it was a jug that my aunty would take to the beer-off to fetch my grandads ale supply . Now I'm not so sure .

I photographed it , to put on here and then tried to find out more about it .
Looking on line , it appears to be a design called Trentham Ware , though can only see similar vases , not jugs .

There are a few references to Trentham Ware that all say it was a design exclusive to a Nottingham retailer between 1934 and 1941 ( wonder which one ?).

After the licence ran out they carried on production but changed the name to Beswickware which is what mine has stamped on the bottom .

Trouble is my Grandad died in 1941 so looks unlikely it was his beer jug !......wish I had paid more attention to the conversation , no one to ask now !

11364131664_ea7fc63608_z.jpg

well yes i loved covering my school books with wallpaper,used to get some spare from my mamas as she was a little bit posh ,so had quality wallpaper,we also have lots of old utensils,but we bought them from pownalls shop on bath street,sold everything from a teaspoon to table and chairs

sneintongal posting 55

Thanks a million for that. We left Basford 1956 but even years after; anything of dubious quality was always refered to by my Mam as probably from 'Jackie Pownalls'. I knew nothing of its origins as a kid. I'll ask her tomorrow where the shop was as a check on her 99 year old memory.

I tried my Mam's old Grundig reel to reel tape recorder the other day. First tape I tried was a recording of our 43 year old daughter jabbering on and banging the side of her cot at 6 months.

How on earth do magnetic tapes retain their quality over that length of time?

Re covering school text books, I was one of the "poor kids" at our school and also used bits of wallpaper for covering, some of it was a bit too thick to make a good job of it.

You could always tell us peasants from the "rich kids", their books were covered in brown paper !!

Some kids in our class covered their books in polythene. You could scrape your nails along it and it left little "ladders" in the material.

Hello Colin Post 56, Bob Wooley followed his father onto the old Nottm. Corp. Gas Dept.as a gas fitter. Too good at his job to be promoted as numerous apprentices can vouch for. I think he stayed on at Woodboro' Rd. even after Emgas took over until he took early retirement in 1969. My son/his Grandson, Mike Smith, followed on as apprentice then fitter at Radford Rd. for several years before going self employed later taking a 1 year plumbing course at Basford Hall so he's qualified in both utilities. His Grandad would be proud of him!