Help Me Remember - Lace Market

I used to work at a small curtain factory during the Uni Summer holidays (30 yrs ago). I'm sure the factory was in the Lace Market. I just can't remember what the company was called. Can any one enlighten me? I'd love to be able to remember the name of the company. It was very small. Maybe a dozen to 20 workers.

Maybe a stupid question but did they make lace curtains as opposed to ordinary material ones ?

Some older names were Fleirsheim , Levin, Binch ......maybe some of the guys with directories for the 60s can help out .

Another name I remember was Minsons .

I have a large(ish) scale map two feet to the mile of the area & there are tens of lace, hosiery & ilk factories in the area.

I'll Go through some of directories over the week end.

I'm busy tomorrow but I'll see what I can find

• 3 weeks later...

I used to work at a small curtain factory during the Uni Summer holidays (30 yrs ago). I'm sure the factory was in the Lace Market. I just can't remember what the company was called. Can any one enlighten me? I'd love to be able to remember the name of the company. It was very small. Maybe a dozen to 20 workers.

1 worked for gw pryce lace manufacturers i worked in the office we sent lace all over the world the lace was made in the factory dyed to certain tastes and shipped out some large sizes and also strips of lace but it was i think the largest lace company in nottingham, arthur ridlington

• 2 months later...

I have recently walked extensively round and round the lace market (Broadway side and Stoney Street side) to see if I recognized where the place might have been ........ where the heck was it, what was the name of the company? I can remember getting up to get the bus from Carrington, and though i have wracked and wracked my brains, I cannot remember the route I took to get to the place. This would have been about 1981 ..... I suppose I'm clutching at straws here, but I really, really need to be able to remember what this company was. I'm almost certain I went up some stairs and the 'factory' was in one largish room, with not many workers - about a dozen machine sewers and about 3 of us hand stitching up hems. The owner would have been about in his late thirties or maybe forties. Can *anyone* please throw any light .... I'd be really grateful.

Bearob,

my dad worked for yonks for a lace curtain manufacturer in the Lace Market - R.E.Ashworth, on Stoney Street. They moved (early '90s?) to the small industrial site opposite Wickes on Mansfield Rd in Daybrook, just up from The Old Spot pub. I remember they had a slogan printed on the bags that the curtains were packed in - "Sunenta Lace, for beauty & grace". How's that?

Thanks Riddo. I don't remember them ever making lace curtains. These were those velvet curtains that were very fashionable in the 80s. I think all the curtains they manufactured were velvet (or at least fabric).

I have a large(ish) scale map two feet to the mile of the area & there are tens of lace, hosiery & ilk factories in the area.

I'll Go through some of directories over the week end.

I'm busy tomorrow but I'll see what I can find

I am a recent new member, Following on from this discussion, I hav an old original ordnance survey map circa late 1800's of the Lacemarker area and castle. It is 1:500 scale and detail is extraordinary.

I can provide a scanned copy to anyone interested at cost.

Cheers

"Velvet" curtains were probably Velour? It was a knitted fabric made from cotton or polyester.

Not velour - velvet - you can't make curtains with knitted fabrics - they will sag or stretch. The velvet fabric could have been polyester or cotton, but definitely woven - not knitted :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

1 worked for gw pryce lace manufacturers i worked in the office we sent lace all over the world the lace was made in the factory dyed to certain tastes and shipped out some large sizes and also strips of lace but it was i think the largest lace company in nottingham, arthur ridlington

I worked for that company as a young man but I thought it was G.W. Price but I may be wrong, I was in charge of the grey stock and would often be sent to dyers like Hicking&Pentecost (now the site of Hooters restaurant and apartments) I took samples of lace to them for dye testing and went to pick them up later. I wonder if you were there at the same time as me? I left about 1964 but I do remember going on a day trip to Hunstanton and there were only about four lads on the bus the rest girls it was a wonderful day out. Do you remember Elsie up on the top floor?, she was like a mother to me but often gave me a clip round the ear for getting into mischief and that was often.