More and more shops closing because they can't compete with the internet, or afford the stupid rents and business rates.Motorists can't afford exorbitant parking fees or frivolous trips out with the cost of fuel...

So what do the council want? More shops in the city centre. :wacko:

• Upvote 1

Was in vic centre yesterday, i quite like it how it is, apart from the mirrors! Wouldnt believe how many people iv walked into turning a corner because the mirrors have confused the hell out of me, or maybe thats just me... lol. Also walked through broadmarsh, its depressing, so depressing & quite simply used as a cut through only! Unless, i fancy popping to the cafe near the escilators, coffee + muffin from that place, lovely jubly!

It's funny cos a few years ago...or maybe more, there was a time when I thought Broad Marsh was the more exciting of the two centres, but the last time I walked through I too thought it was disappointing and depressing, and Victoria was definitely the better of the two.

• Upvote 1

I've never read such rubbish as that in the link!

'People don't dwell in Victoria Centre because it doesn't have a good food offering'

Have they forgotten that it had a very good food court and it was ripped out so more shops could be put in?

And presumably because the owners wanted more rental income too!

Another issue is that bus passengers have to walk through the centre to get to the bus station. Ok, you can go along Milton Street and in by House of Fraser but that isn't a very good access. Vic Centre had a decent sized bus station and that was ripped out too, the present one isn't really fit for purpose but retailing (and profit) comes before public transport, unfortunately.

The main entrance to Victoria, on the corner of Milton St should be re-considered too, it's a bottleneck for people going in opposite directions.

I've never read such rubbish as that in the link!

'People don't dwell in Victoria Centre because it doesn't have a good food offering'

Have they forgotten that it had a very good food court and it was ripped out so more shops could be put in?

And presumably because the owners wanted more rental income too!

Another issue is that bus passengers have to walk through the centre to get to the bus station. Ok, you can go along Milton Street and in by House of Fraser but that isn't a very good access. Vic Centre had a decent sized bus station and that was ripped out too, the present one isn't really fit for purpose but retailing (and profit) comes before public transport, unfortunately.

The main entrance to Victoria, on the corner of Milton St should be re-considered too, it's a bottleneck for people going in opposite directions.

I for one enjoy going to the cafe at the back of the market, or a coffee in john lewis, or even a subway for something quick! Plenty of cafes and food places around vic centre!

Pixie, I agree with you about the café at the back of the market, I sometimes go there for a coffee.

But I'm afraid it's not posh enough for the developers with the big ideas!

May not be posh, but its welcoming, no one looks at you funny when you walk in (had that at john lewis a few times!!) most people dont want 'posh' we just want somewhere friendly!

The last time I was in the Vic.Centre (2010) there was a lack of seats for anybody who wanted or needed them.Some good take away food shops though but where could you sit to eat..................

Broad marsh is a different story.Places to sit but not many people to sit in those places.

Why would there be.It's a total disaster.

They should bulldoze Arkwright street through the way it was many years ago.

Baz :ninja:

We usually go to Druckers just upstairs by the escalator at the Milton St end. Does yummy cakes and good coffee.

• Upvote 1

They want to be careful when they install the entrance to the centre that changes colours, because they might get all the local druggies sat around, thinking it is the best free Psychedelic high in town...

• Upvote 3

I'm sure there must be a plan regarding what is going on at B Marsh.

I go through there every 2-3 weeks and the place is well over 50% empty. But every time a unit becomes vacant, there is no attempt to advertise it or get someone else to occupy it; so the Centre owners are obviously deliberately running the place down until they get to the point where no-one is left. They are just waiting until all the leases come to an end, then they will presumably move in and rebuild the place.

I think bmarsh has a lot of potential, I remember as a kid being dragged around town to do the crimbo shopping and bmarsh was always heaving and full of decent shops. All they have to do is get the shops full again & give the centre a face life. surely many people would be happy with just that, Itd be cheaper and they'd be getting more money coming in.

The whole area between Broadmarsh and the station need sorting. Either demolish the lot (particularly the awful 60s/70s buildings) or spend a decent amount tarting it up.

What impression do visitors to Nottm get when they come by train when the first they see are grubby, run-down, depressing and empty buildings?

Couldn't have said it better myself Rob !

Pixie:

I don't think the proposed £50 million face lift is going to restore Broadmarsh to anything like its early years.

First of all, people don't have the disposable income that they did then. Shoppers aren't prefering the internet just because of convenience - cost is a major factor.

Secondly, the shop rents and business rates are so excessive now that retailers aren't queuing up to get in there. Even if they did, they would have to charge absurdly high prices.

Thirdly - getting there. Driving in is a nightmare and very costly. Parking is a joke. Tram or bus? Still very expensive and really not very convenient.

Finally, the place is a dump. It's been a dump for a long time and it looks crap. I really don't see that they are going to shake off that reputation and get the folks to come flooding back.

My preferred option would be to level it and restore the route to a thoroughfare to Arkwright Street.

But that's never going to happen.

• Upvote 1

My preferred option would be to level it and restore the route to a thoroughfare to Arkwright Street.

But that's never going to happen.

I often think that but the main thing against it is the exceptionally busy Collin Street cutting across it.

I think Broad Marsh suffers because it doesn't have a big draw. It had a big department store which was originally the Co-op (less said about them, the better!) then it was Allders but since they folded, there's nothing to attract people in, pound shops and cheap rubbish shops won't do it.

Strange really, because it's in a prime position, close to the rail station and main bus station but it's poorly designed and not very attractive to either shoppers or businesses.

Perhaps the best thing would be to put it out of it's misery and pull it down!

It would be fairly easy to cut Collin Street off from through traffic by making Canal Street two-way again and reconfiguring the road layout around the bottom of Maid Marion Way.

And seeing as Broadmarsh car park is mostly empty those days as people can't afford to park there, the council could cut their losses and close it. ;)

Pull down the broadmarsh centre and car park , return canal street to a two way street is the best option......what could the council do with the land ? turn it into something to make us proud, and inspire visitors as they leave the station ...... Any ideas Nottstalgians ?