The willowbrook club, Gedling.

The willowbrook changed hands a few weeks ago when castle rock bought it. It is now an open PUB to anyone, new menu's, beers & in january its having a complete refurb!

So, Anyone been in recently? Or anyone gonna come for a pint? Hey, you might even see or be served by yours truely!! :)

Whenever you lot are up for it, even if i cant join in, ill be servin! :)

Any of you lot coming in at any point, Giss a shout! Also, check facebook for their page, they upload new and up coming ales, menu's and promotions!

No rob, it has a new one as no longer a club. I'm working weds :( have a drink for me!

that's the badger!

it seems to be doing well, still have the original members coming in and that plus lots of new faces

cant do the umbrella, but i could pop in a couple of cherries and a straw :D

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah it unfortunately has been gutted by a recent fire, the progress looks good from the updates iv seen on the Facebook. Original manager left when I was off on sick leave... I haven't met my new manager, going back after maternity leave will be fun with all the changes!

Apparently they're aiming to open in July.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I often search the Internet trying to find information on the now named Willowbrook Pub on main road Gedling in the 1950s. I grew up in Gedling village as i'm sure you all know from previous posts, along side my lifelong friend sueB48

Whilst discussing childhood memories, we both remember knowing the Willowbrook as being the Conservative Club? Always a bit of a mysterious place in our memories. We both lived around 100yds from the place but never ventured in. A bit posh for the likes of us. I think we were probably shoo'd away if caught hanging around. The garden of the Chesterfield Arms was the place we were taken to on sunny days for our crisps and pop!

I would really like to see an image of the place as it was in the 1950s. I often search in my limited way, but I can't find any reference to it in that decade. Perhaps there are no photo's of the place in those days? I know if it's possible, one of you Nottstagians will find something for me.

Carni, I assume you've looked at Picture the Past. Just in case you missed it, this is the only one I can find which is almost what you are looking for. It's obviously a bit before your time (!).

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?action=printdetails&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;DCHQ503337&prevUrl=

• Upvote 1

Cliff Ton, Thank you for that picture. It is one that you found for me in an earlier query that I had. We used to play in the derelict building and garden on the corner of Westdale Lane in the 1950s and it is the house that is in the picture. I think it was a doll factory at one time? The Willowbrook (Conservative Club) would be just down the road, out of vision on the pic. That is if it was built at that time. Thank you for researching it for me.

Not sure where I got the info now, but I will check, I believe the Willowbrook building was built about 90yrs ago?

I found this link about a fire at the Willowbrook. Towards the end of the story it is mentioned that the building is approx 80yrs old, so that would be about 1935. you would have thought there would have been a picture of its opening somewhere.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Firefighters-tackle-blaze-Gedling-pub-Willowbrook/story-26271501-detail/story.html

#24, Loppylugs,

You reminded me of a summer night in the 80s when I used to enjoy a Lager or two? Ahem. It was a lovely sunny late afternoon and we decided to cycle around our area, calling in the pubs on the way. Around eight pubs later and by now lots of giggling and wobbling occurring, we aimed for home.

We crossed the road and my wheel caught a garden wall, propelling me sideways off the bike, over the wall and flat out as hubbs puts it, like a star. Luckily no damage to me or the flower garden! That night we learnt that Alcohol and cycling don't go together. Saw the error of our ways the next day and never did it again.

• Upvote 1