I had a walk around town yesterday.

As I walked along Wheeler Gate, the chap playing the saxophone was there - a little further towards town, opposite Marks and Sparks was a young chap imitating Jet Harris with an upturned heavy duty plastic bucket and sticks.

Anyone see and hear him?

Well I never I thought!

We have 2 brilliant buskers in Mansfield. I asked one of them why he didn't go professional and tour clubs etc he said he couldn't afford the pay cut.

A few years ago, while on holiday in Spain -myself wife and my parents, we went to Gibraltar for the day. There at the bottom of the hill was a regular busker from Nottingham playing his stuff. He told us he always has a few weeks in the summer somewhere warm doing the same thing.

When I've been into the City Centre I've seen groups of young acrobats entertaining the public.

I nearly joined in with em... but thought someone might nick me walkin' stick though.

Hehehe!

"opposite Marks and Sparks was a young chap imitating Jet Harris with an upturned heavy duty plastic bucket and sticks. "

If I'd have known I'd have brought my bass and done a Tony Meehan impression! (sorry, TGC couldn't resist it)

• Upvote 1

"opposite Marks and Sparks was a young chap imitating Jet Harris with an upturned heavy duty plastic bucket and sticks. "

If I'd have known I'd have brought my bass and done a Tony Meehan impression! (sorry, TGC couldn't resist it)

If he's there today when I go into town, I'll ask him if he's interested!

It's a Wonderful Land where one can earn cash drumming up a crowd innit? Hehe.

• 3 weeks later...

well if old frank could do it on his little xylaphone an upturned bucket as a drum got to be ok

• 1 month later...

#1 TGC - I think the sax guy is great, but I can't stand the pan pipe Peruvians that used to pop up all over the city centre.

The best ever busker I saw was back in the '90s on a Saturday afternoon somewhere near C&A. He played an electric violin and used effects pedals to build up a really complex backing to the violin. He did U2's "Without you" and it brought tears to my eyes, it sounded so heart-rending.

I've never forgotten it.

When I got to work on the Monday I mentioned it and one of the girls knew who it was - Ed Alleyne Johnson - who she said often played with the band New Model Army. So he was a pro', but a great free concert!

#1 TGC - I think the sax guy is great, but I can't stand the pan pipe Peruvians that used to pop up all over the city centre.

The best ever busker I saw was back in the '90s on a Saturday afternoon somewhere near C&A. He played an electric violin and used effects pedals to build up a really complex backing to the violin. He did U2's "Without you" and it brought tears to my eyes, it sounded so heart-rending.

I've never forgotten it.

When I got to work on the Monday I mentioned it and one of the girls knew who it was - Ed Alleyne Johnson - who she said often played with the band New Model Army. So he was a pro', but a great free concert!

I so agree with you that the sax-man is great. I'm no musician, but the way he plays along with the background tunes make it sound wonderful.

In the nineties I rarely got into town, work commitments assured that. Now I'm a man of leisure, I (weather Arthur Itis, and Ann Gyner permitting of course) try to have a walk into town 3 times a week - and notice things more now I have the time.

I have noticed that scowls an threatening stares are on the increase nowadays - and that's just from the staff at Lidl and Aldi! (Hehehe)

Take care, cheers.