• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're going to have a diesel there is very little nicer to listen to than a well-thrashed Napier Deltic. I've always loved the sound of two-stroke diesels, having been brought up within earshot of

Railways are very dangerous places to work if you are in movements. This was brought home in 1992 when we lost a good friend just doing his job. Gary was a young fellow with a lovely wife and

Wish I could get two inches! - (I've always wanted to be 6 foot).

Always best when coaches ran away in the sidings. It seems that all sidings slope towards the buffers. Safety I suppose. But if the air leaked off and the brakes came off, it would go, gathering speed as it went. Then an almighty Bangggggggg!!. They always seemed to jump in the air when they did that. We did too. And everybody would come running out of the workshops.

The most frightening thing was when a loco hauled train arrived in Derby Station in the evening. It was normal to propel the train to the sidings with the guard in the rear brake coach signalling the driver to come back. All the main line 4 aspect signals at Derby also had a subsignal on the same post for the same platform. Either could be used to allow the train to reverse into the sidings. The difference being a subsignal means that the road is only clear to the next signal, whereas a green could mean right away. The information box attached to the signal would actually say SDG meaning sidings. However, sometimes the guard would signal the driver to reverse then clear-off back to 4-shed leaving the train to its own devices. He would expect a shunter to have set up for the correct sidings and be there at the throat of the sidings to call him in. It didn't always happen and in that instance it would inevitably end in tears (and much damage).

But the worst one occurred one day when I was west end shunter at Derby Station one night. A loco-hauled arrived on platform three. The passengers got off, doors closed and the platform chargeman informed the signalman that it was ready to propel to the sidings. An HST right away St Pancras was also ready to depart platform 4. As the guard was on the opposite side of the train, he saw the signal for the HST and thought it was for the propelling movement. I don't think he was even aware of the imminent London departure on the next platform. Anyway, he signalled the driver and horror of horrors, cleared off to the mess room on platform one. So the HST was right away London on the up main and the loco-hauled was heading for a conflicting movement, ready to cross over the up main for the sidings. I was stood at the west end of platform three ready to call in the Peterborough Postal when the empty stock had gone. I saw the impending disaster at the same time as the platform chargeman and we both dived into the brake compartment on the empty stock to hit the clapper. This would apply emergency brakes. It stopped inches short of the departing HST. But because it had technically passed a red signal an enquiry was held. This brought a swift end to propelling movements as such. After that it was a run round or the sidings shunt engine would haul them in.

I was also inches off browning my pants that night. It took about 8 cups of strong coffee to calm me down.

Funny thing though. Not a word of thanks for either myself or the charge man.

And following that, I will take this opportunity to make a point to everyone. If professional railwaymen can get themselves into danger just doing their job, civvies have no chance. The message is clear, tell anyone you know who uses the railway as a short cut .... STAY OFF!! It is not worth it.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...

On the subject of trains, a message for Albert Smith and any other retired train crew on the Forum. Thursdays Nottingham post in the bereavements section announced the death of Albert Musson - better known as 'Iron Chest'. He was a train driver at Nottingham depot when I worked there, often reporting for passenger workings. I don't know if he was originally a 16A Nottingham loco man or if he was one of the many who transferred from Colwick, Annesley, Mansfield or Kirkby when those steam sheds closed.

Any one know when there will be any steam in Nottingham in 2015 ?

• 7 months later...

Just joined after finding a pic of steam loco Alberta at Trowell Junction on Google.

I've always been interested in railways but sadly missed all the steam.

Would be good to see Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire related diesel locomotive pictures.

I'll start with a photo passed onto me by John Simpson who was a fireman at Colwick Depot showing Peak class D148 at Nottingham Midland Station in July 1966.

16808095214_6263049a90_c.jpgD148 at Nottingham Midland July 1966 by Fred Castor, on Flickr

Hi Fredjee, if you search around on Nottstalgia you'll find a considerable number of photo's that I've published from the Firbeck archives. I took my first photo back in 1958, WC 'City of Wells' on the Golden Arrow at Folkestone. I have so many photo's most of which I haven't put on here, it's so time consuming to upload and put them up, not helped by the fact that my PC crashed badly a few weeks ago and stuff vanished into the ether. I have a 35mm colour slide cassette entitled 'Trains 1970's', must be loads of local diesel stuff on there, I probably haven't looked at it for 25 years!!

I have approx 10,000 colour slides plus countless black and white photo's, I'd love to have the time to sort them out but I work full time and doing that is hard.

I'll see what I can do today. Your pics by the way are really cool.

• Upvote 1

No Steam on Here!!

No chance, while going through some old stuff, none of which I've published before, I was tempted to put this on:-

brit1a.jpg

Britannia Pacific 70005 'John Milton', ( Sans nameplates ), climbing Hest Bank and passing through the water troughs with an express parcels heading north towards Carnforth, possibly for Carlisle. Taken in 1965, I apologise for the muck on the slide, I'll do something about it when I have time. He doesn't appear to be taking on water, an experience I suffered when hanging out the window of the carriage immediately behind the tender of 'Shooting Star' a year later.

Look at the low lying smoke, I must have got a good whiff of the exhaust, steam specials don't smell the same these days, Polish coal??

By the way, the fields to the right, overlooking Morecambe Bay, are now occupied by a caravan site, moo cows and sheep when I spent many ours at this fantastic spot.

Incidentally, taken on Ilford colour slide film with my brother's Hanimex 35mm which he graciously used to let me borrow ( and pay for )!!. I used to use two cameras, my Prinzflex was always loaded up with 35mm black and white film for any eventuality.

Just thought about it, 50 years ago I took this picture, it seems like yesterday though, I'm lucky to have had the means and wherewithal to record such moments, thanks dad and brother John for your enthusiasm.

• Upvote 2

If you want diesels and possibly electrics, a few gems for you, sorry, I haven't had time to track down my Notts colour slides yet:-

crewe63.jpg

E3064 taken at Crewe, June 1963 by my brother with his Hanimex, no yellow warning panels, this was the furthest extent of electrification, the trains were taken forward to Scotland by Coronation Class Pacifics, which were still abundant at Crewe North.

shrews63.jpg

Many people liked the 'Westerns' probably fairly new this one ( and it was always a bugger to read those cast metal number plates ), taken at Shrewsbury heading south a few hours after the last pic, most of the trains that day though were hauled by Castles and Halls.

nabbot1.jpg

Newton Abbot shed September 1973, a day trip to Plymouth from Nottingham, I note the 'Peak'in the background.

tamar.jpg

Crossing the Tamar Bridge, behind a 'Western' August 1973, a trip from Newquay to Totnes by rail, but that's another story.

dinting.jpg

Long lost electrics, Dinting Viaduct summer 1974, taken after a trip to the now closed Dinting Railway Centre and a trip along the line in the cab of 'Jubilee' Bahamas, was that the one that was based there then, I can't recall, have a colour slide taken out the cab window though.

deltic1.jpg

A Deltic taken at high speed passing through Peterborough, June 1975.

I have many more but have things to do today!!

Finally, a special tribute to my old mate Steve Kirk whose birthday it is today.

slawit1.jpg

Taken on the Colne Valley line between Marsden and Slaithwaite in late 1974, a Class 40 meanders down the valley with a mineral freight.

In the background is Standedge, now the site of the reopened canal tunnel, Steve was born in a house just around the corner from the buildings at the top background, no running water!! Happy Birthday mate.

img009.jpg

Another for Steve, a Class 40 heading through the magnificent Huddersfield Station, summer 1974, I reckon it's heading east, but not sure, for any keen types, try the station bar, it's amazing, or it was the last time I went there. To recall it's on the platform opposite where this pic was taken.

• Upvote 2

#65 is a beut!!, near pole moor? The journey from Nottm to Hudd is not bad at all( for hanging out the winda!)

That's Pole Moor on the right. My late, ex in laws ran the Star pub in Slaithwaite then moved to Linthwaite higher up the valley to run the Broad Oak pub. I recall cleaning Renee's Dolomite one morning when a Tornado came so low and fast overhead from the direction of Crossland Moor that I could clearly see the pilot and nav apparently looking at me. It descended into Colne Valley at very high speed then followed the contours up Pole Moor and passed by the radio masts, bloody incredible. That was before they went to war, must have been a GR1, sad to think of circumstances now.

I used to take all sorts of wierd and wonderful routes to Huddersfield in the 70's, you could go via the Penistone route, via Leeds, or via Wakefield. I recall sussing out that on my journey up there on a Friday night, the Yorkshire Pullman, Deltic hauled, used to call into Wakefield just after my train from Derby. So, I got off the Leeds train and waited for the Yorkshire Pullman, in it pulled with a Deltic, great fun, the staff let me on board and I travelled in luxury to Leeds, hanging out the window of the front Pullman carriage taking in the throaty, unforgettable sound of a Deltic, unmissable.

I remember train trips with my late Father so well,and even as a spotty faced teenager 'doing' Settle and Carnforth and the like..low gill being one of my faves..no one else at school was doing stuff like this!!..in between him turning down Pink Floyd's Meddle..he wasn't a bad old scroat.

So what's the source of the picture published by Methyr Imp on 18th Dec 2014 and the same one published by Fredjee on the previous page, 2/12/15.All my pics put on this posting were taken by myself or my brother, so who is actually responsible for taking this photo, or is it just blatant plagiriaism.

So what's the source of the picture published by Methyr Imp on 18th Dec 2014 and the same one published by Fredjee on the previous page, 2/12/15.All my pics put on this posting were taken by myself or my brother, so who is actually responsible for taking this photo, or is it just blatant plagiriaism.

The picture posted by me on 18th Dec 2013 (not 2014) was taken by me. I think Fredjee was just 'quoting' it.

Listening to music,I have just spent two hours reading past posts on rail & steam. Albert's information is a great insight ( hat off!!) So many on here provide such knowledge and fill in so many gaps for a sprog like me!! BTW? what happened to master cutler?

No matter Pete,The Alberta snap was the most enjoyable one for me all year!...yours??

Yes it was. The spring operating the shutter on my Prinzflex 35mm had snapped and I cobbled together a system using an elastic band instead, it sort of worked. The film was Ilford colour slide 35mm, probably 100 ASA. I recall that when Alberta opened up to climb the gradient up to Wollaton, a hot cinder landed on my head and set my hair on fire, I was too busy trying to put out the flames otherwise I would have swung round and taken another pic.

• Upvote 1