Hi Fredjee, if you search around on Nottstalgia you'll find a considerable number of photo's that I've published from the Firbeck archives. I took my first photo back in 1958, WC 'City of Wells' on the Golden Arrow at Folkestone. I have so many photo's most of which I haven't put on here, it's so time consuming to upload and put them up, not helped by the fact that my PC crashed badly a few weeks ago and stuff vanished into the ether. I have a 35mm colour slide cassette entitled 'Trains 1970's', must be loads of local diesel stuff on there, I probably haven't looked at it for 25 years!!

I have approx 10,000 colour slides plus countless black and white photo's, I'd love to have the time to sort them out but I work full time and doing that is hard.

I'll see what I can do today. Your pics by the way are really cool.

I've already had a quick look at your pics on the site and think i've stumbled upon your Photobucket account firbek :biggrin:

I like to see railway images from all over the UK but have a passion for things along the Erewash Valley / Ilkeston / Long Eaton / Stanton and diesels do it for me.

I search constantly for the images I still have inside my head but at the time was too poor for a camera like the single class 25 sitting on the GNR overbridge just outside Kirk Hallam at the bottom of Bulls Head as a team of engineers surveyed the line and bridges for demolition .

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you're going to have a diesel there is very little nicer to listen to than a well-thrashed Napier Deltic. I've always loved the sound of two-stroke diesels, having been brought up within earshot of

Railways are very dangerous places to work if you are in movements. This was brought home in 1992 when we lost a good friend just doing his job. Gary was a young fellow with a lovely wife and

Wish I could get two inches! - (I've always wanted to be 6 foot).

16410545406_29881dfede_c.jpg

A poor quality photo taken on a poor quality 110 camera but historically important
It shows Class 50 015 at Toton having popped into the depot for 10 minutes of attention before returning to Beeston to continue its booked diagramthe afternoons Beeston - Lawley Street Freightliner.
  • Upvote 1

I'll start with a photo passed onto me by John Simpson who was a fireman at Colwick Depot showing Peak class D148 at Nottingham Midland Station in July 1966.

16808095214_6263049a90_c.jpg

Yesterday I popped my head over the bridge and took a photo from roughly were John had taken his picture many years ago and as you can see much has changed.

11217668_10207179711304675_1135571066904

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Always hated Deltics as they replaced my beloved A1,2,3 &4's. Then of course there were the D200's etc. Sacrilege.

I preferred the steam also but I never hated the Deltics. But they were noisy bu--ers. I know! so were steam locos but steam locos made a NICE noise.

I love your pic of D9009, Alycidon, amongst the foreign interlopers at Toton, it looks, and was, a 'really usefull engine' as Rev Awdry would have said.

It was the first production Deltic I ever saw and I photographed the moment at Grantham circa 1961 ( I can't be ar@@@ to look up the actual date ), as you can see by the front buffers and the general appearance, plus the fact the cab was full of men in white coats, I reckon it was on it's first mainline test run from Doncaster, they used to run light engine to there from Vulcan Foundry in Lancs where they were built.

scan0043-3.jpg

Please note the real anoraks on the platform in front of the loco.

I preferred the steam also but I never hated the Deltics. But they were noisy bu--ers. I know! so were steam locos but steam locos made a NICE noise.

If you're going to have a diesel there is very little nicer to listen to than a well-thrashed Napier Deltic. I've always loved the sound of two-stroke diesels, having been brought up within earshot of Hoveringham Gravels' main quarry, where they kept a fleet of two-stroke Fodens back then.

• Upvote 3

I remember trying to have a conversation on York station when Deltics were around. Almost impossible. HSTs were very noisy, particularly when pulling away. I remember nipping through the engine rooms when I worked in the sidings because I was too lazy to climb out then in again. Silly beggar me!

• 2 weeks later...

Sulzer Type 2, or Class 25, no. 25064 with an inspection saloon. Don't know the date sorry, but I see the locomotive was based at Crewe from October 1982 until withdrawal at the end of 1985, so possibly nearer the earlier of those dates.

Quite unusual to see one of those in Nottingham from the mid-1970s onwards.

2506420at20Nottingham201980s_zps4yx7i4gk

• 4 months later...