Anne Williams Hillsborough

No, I was not implying anything of the sort. I was just explaining why Forest were allocated the largest area, and Liverpool the Leppings Lane end.

• Upvote 1

No, I was not implying anything of the sort. I was just explaining why Forest were allocated the largest area, and Liverpool the Leppings Lane end.

I appreciate you weren't implying anything, giving the larger end to the smaller fanbase was always likely to cause problems though.

Not necessarily, Forest travelled north, Liverpool east. The allocation was sensible and straight forward on paper.

The tragedy could have happened anywhere.

I'll repost this to accentuate just how relevant the venue was. Please read to the end.

In a ridiculous, and potentially near fatal decision it was decided to award the Leppings Lane end to the ********* supporters, despite their overwhelming greater support.

I entered the ********* end around 2pm and found my way to the left hand side (as the TV cameras look) and several minutes later soon became tight against a barrier. More and more fans entered and just before kick-off it was apparent that the severe crushing was likely to cause the barriers to give way and all those at the front would be crushed on the fencing. The pressure was so intense that I had to lift my chest upwards, above the barrier so that I could breathe. I never touched the ground again until the end of the game.

Meanwhile many fans took it upon themselves to climb over the fencing and get onto the Pitch perimeter. The Police, realising that a disaster could soon unfold, opened a gate and ushered hundreds of fans out of the terracing and instructed them to sit around the pitch.

Guess what. This was about Spurs in 1981 not Liverpool in 1989. It was an accident waiting to happen and was warned about numerous times and Liverpool just happened to be the team playing that year when an inexperienced policeman was put in charge who didn't follow the established safety plan.