Hello folks medders girl 'ere.

Hi to you all, I have just joined but have visited the site before so wanted to say hello. I lived on Saby Terrace on Kinglake Street in the 1950's/60

and worked in Boots on Wilford Road. I can also remember Mr Peel the barber next to the Loco pub and then Jens shoes shop...I think.

Also Fords, Meadow dairy, Clays sweet shop, Sandersons tripe and cow heel shop, Copes the butchers. Near to the Waterway Street end I remember Haywoods newsagents and Morris's ironmongers my dad used to do odd jobs around the Medders and often got notes left at Morris's when someone wanted a job doing. Anyone remember Boots shop and anyone from Kinglake Street out there.

There was also Metcalf's pet shop on the corner near to the Continental bakery and Simmons pot shop, Aucklands butchers further on and the Black car cafe, sorry going on too much now . :biggrin: Love to hear if anyone else remembers shops on Wilford road it was a great community and you could get everything you wanted plus a stroll round the local watering holes like the Magna usually filled with thick black fag smoke on a Saturday night. Great days..............

• Upvote 1

Welcome SabyBaby - plenty of ex-Meadows folk on here. Not me I'm afraid, but plenty of my family during the 1920s and 30s. My grandparents and mum, auntie and uncle were at 57 Kinglake Street for a while in that era. Also 54 Turney Street. My dad's parents lived at and ran a sweet shop on Bathley Street (no. 146 I think). His mum (my grandma) was living at 96 Glapton Road at the time of the 1901 census, and 37 Beauvale Road at the time of her marriage in 1915.

Wow thanks folks I was really uplifted by the response and felt that old Medders spirit again. You have me wondering now about Metcalf's pet shop the old memories not so sharp have to confess... I do if I may say recall the gentleman who used to serve me had very arthritic fingers and I recall his wife being a petite lady they always said hello to my little dog. I don't recall Helen Green I lived at the Wilford Road end near to Doris Keelings wallpaper shop she used to have a little dog sitting in the window and a parrot in the shop that used to speak, can't remember what he said, she was quite a character and both her and her husband Jack would be seen strolling out on a Sunday afternoon looking like a couple from the 30's top hat and all, they were devoted. Great photo's too the Magna looks much brighter than I recall. Sadly I don't have any old photo's as we only had a second hand Brownie which I still have with a few snaps of me next to the outside loo and coalhouse as a baby. Recall a few of he teachers at Welbeck junior, Mr Ward I think he had what looked like a penciled in moustache, Mr Howitt was the head teacher and I think it was Mrs Graham the English teacher who always said it was The Meadows Nottm not Medders nottm..lol.. I do have an old school photo so will upload it and there might be some of you there. Does anyone remember old Sid he was often on Wilford Road, he used to sleep in the fish market and come into Boots for his meths, he was said to have been a barrister but fell on hard times, we used to have to spray the shop after he went..phew...but everyone respected him.

• Upvote 2

Hi SabyBaby, if you scroll down the first page of this site, there is a topic entitled Medders in the section called Nottingham Areas. You may find some info in there. Also the section on Nottingham Schools may be of some help. All the best.

SabyBaby

If you have any 'very simplistic' tips for posting an image I would love to know. I have a few photographs of TB school but have no more idea than the man in the moon how to do it!!. Mick and others have kindly helped me but to no avail.

What an excellent website.

Kind regards,

Tony

Hi to you all, I have just joined but have visited the site before so wanted to say hello. I lived on Saby Terrace on Kinglake Street in the 1950's/60

and worked in Boots on Wilford Road. I can also remember Mr Peel the barber next to the Loco pub and then Jens shoes shop...I think.

Also Fords, Meadow dairy, Clays sweet shop, Sandersons tripe and cow heel shop, Copes the butchers. Near to the Waterway Street end I remember Haywoods newsagents and Morris's ironmongers my dad used to do odd jobs around the Medders and often got notes left at Morris's when someone wanted a job doing. Anyone remember Boots shop and anyone from Kinglake Street out there.

There was also Metcalf's pet shop on the corner near to the Continental bakery and Simmons pot shop, Aucklands butchers further on and the Black car cafe, sorry going on too much now . :biggrin: Love to hear if anyone else remembers shops on Wilford road it was a great community and you could get everything you wanted plus a stroll round the local watering holes like the Magna usually filled with thick black fag smoke on a Saturday night. Great days..............

Hi did you know any one from Cremorne crescent from about those dates?