Some great info here. I remember the details about the MGO buses through Wollaton. I loved the sound of the engines, but most of all I loved the Ilkeston conductresses. It all came back to me when I worked as a conductor and later as a Driver on the Glasgow Corporation buses late 60s and early 70s.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to court a lass from Nottingham (now my wife) when I lived in Eastwood and I used to catch the A4 "Flyer", so called because the first stop after Nottingham was Hill Top, Eastwood. It used to

Re #71 - the F3 went directly up the A614 Ollerton Road, turning left at Darcliff Cross Roads towards Blidworth Bottoms, right along Field Lane to Blidworth, and then right into Main Street, Mansfield

Trying to repair some of the gaps left by Photobucket, I came across this, which includes two Trents, a Barton, and a Midland General.

Slightly off the blue colour this one, but can anyone remember the Bundy machines where the conductor had to stick a time card into it to record the time and make sure they were running to time? The only one I can remember was on Carlton Road next to Manvers School, but there must have been more.

• Upvote 1

Yes - from a similar discussion on another site (and I think they may have been mentioned on here too) there were timeclocks at Mansfield Road/Villiers Road (10, 20, 20A, 52, 57, 69); Hucknall Road/Valley Road (2, 6, 17, 18, 28); Vernon Road (42, 43, 44); Nuthall Road/Bar Lane (1, 7, 22); Aspley Lane/St Margarets Church (13, 16, 16A, 30, 32, 62); Derby Road/Hillside (5, 19, 45, 63); Sneinton Dale/Cardale Road (3, 34, 59); Carlton Road/Alma Road (38. 39 and possibly 25A westbound); Old Market Square/Angel Row (42, 43 and later 44 towards Bulwell); Old Market Square/Processional Way (41, 43, 46 towards Trent Bridge); Bath Street (38, 39 ,44 eastbound); King Edward Street (40 towards Wilford Road). Apart from the ones specified, they were all on journeys towards the city centre.

Slightly off the blue colour this one, but can anyone remember the Bundy machines where the conductor had to stick a time card into it to record the time and make sure they were running to time?

Yes - Old Market Square/Processional Way (41, 43, 46 towards Trent Bridge)

I can't believe I'm dong this.

clock.jpg

I remember at the Vernon Road clock, a trolly was taken off the wires to enable the one behind to overtake. Presumably a 44 was late at Bulwell Market and was behind a 43 that it should have been in front of.

I used the Bundy machines in Glasgow. It was a way of regulating the times and making sure the buses weren't running early. But like I say, I can only remember that one in Carlton on the Nottingham buses.

I had a great chat with someone in Newark not long ago about the Gash company whose buses used to run between Newark and Nottingham, among other routes.

• 8 months later...

If I remember correctly, there was a timeclock for the 1, 7 and 22 buses positioned outside the Bentinck Road Schools, going into town. There was a large clock on a pole there. Something used to happen there; maybe a crew change?

If I remember correctly, there was a timeclock for the 1, 7 and 22 buses positioned outside the Bentinck Road Schools, going into town. There was a large clock on a pole there. Something used to happen there; maybe a crew change?

A crew change it was Chulla,

I remember that clock and crew change because we used to pass that stop coming from my grandma's house. When the crew got off the bus they walked off down Caulton Street towards Radford Road, and the new crew came from that same direction. Where did they actually go? Must've been some kind of office or room which served as a base for NCT crews. (If StephenFord reads this, he'll know the answer).

Ang on, ang on, let's get back to Blue Buses, not them Green things that us lot on Trowell Road never saw or had owt to do with.

Remember the early morning works service, this, I think, came from Langley Mill and went into Nottm via Ilko and Wollaton. We used to catch it when the Old Man took us off on train spotting trips. Having been forced to have a full English breakfast at 5:00am, sitting on this always elderly half cab single decker full of fag and pipe smoke used to make me want to throw up.

Bilbraborn, what were you up to catching MGO's when you lived on Wigman Road!!!

Incidentally, summats up, it's 2:30 on a Sunday afternoon and I can hear jet fighters overhead.

The blue buses I remember was the South Notts service which ran from Huntingdon St bus station to Loughborough via London Rd, Trent Bridge, Wilford lane, Clifton (main Rd) then out through Gotham and East Leak. Just one an hour back in the sixties and i don't know if the service still runs or who runs it. That was the only route into Clifton before they built the Clifton Bridge And although I hate to admit it I can still vaguely remember when there was no bridge.

I used that bus in the 70's when I was at Loughborough College and had to get into Nottingham.

(Usually when there was a gap in the train service and it was a convenient way to get to Nottingham Midland to pick up a connection).

It was a very rural route as I remember and was used by lots of schoolkids.

It was kind of the 'back way' into Nottingham from Loughborough, a lot of Midland General routes seemed to be like that.

I used to use the E8 and F5 to get into town from Wollaton.

Again, it seemed to be the back way i.e. Ilkeston Road up to Canning Circus instead of what I would consider the front way i.e. Derby Road - which was used by Barton or Trent buses.

We've spoken before about Mount Street bus station where a lot of the blue buses seemed to go. Never really took off as a busy centre from the 'hillside' bus station it replaced.