I remember back in the 1950's the B8 Blue Bus running through Hucknall from Mansfield to Nottingham, via the villages around Rainworth, past Newstead Abbey Gates, Papplewick Village, Hucknall, Bestwood Village to Huntingdon Street Bus Station.........The C9 from Hucknall Beauvale Estate to Westville and every hour through Watnall, Eastwood, Aldercar etc. to Alfreton........There was another blue bus, the F4 which ran from Beauvale Estate, Hucknall along Sandy Lane, Westville, Watnall, through Nuthall along Nuthall Road, Alfreton Road into Broad Marsh bus station, daily..........Another F3,or F5 ran from Beauvale Estate , Hucknall through the town along Station Road onto Papplewick Lane, turned left and drove passed the Griffins Head Pub along the Country Lanes to the Burnt Stump, through Oxton and into Calverton, it ran there and back twice a day...........They were operated by Midland General......

My mother's cousin John Barret drove the Hucknall to Alfreton bus daily, he is 88 and still alive, living in Eastwood........

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to court a lass from Nottingham (now my wife) when I lived in Eastwood and I used to catch the A4 "Flyer", so called because the first stop after Nottingham was Hill Top, Eastwood. It used to

Re #71 - the F3 went directly up the A614 Ollerton Road, turning left at Darcliff Cross Roads towards Blidworth Bottoms, right along Field Lane to Blidworth, and then right into Main Street, Mansfield

Trying to repair some of the gaps left by Photobucket, I came across this, which includes two Trents, a Barton, and a Midland General.

Re - #72. I reckon Pianoman has remembered right! That seems to be exactly how it was in MGO B8 days, and about the same now for the 141 - except that the extension beyond Mansfield now goes to Sutton via Skegby instead of Clay Cross (which was, indeed a C3 in those far-off days).

• Upvote 1

#78 Stephen Ford........Yes I remember the F4 going through Watnall and Larkfields, I used to catch it at Westville with my grandmother when we visited an Aunt living in the Meadows Nottm........Could not remember the number on the Oxton Bus, I knew it was 'F' something, caught it when we visited ex neighbours who went to live in Calverton all in the 1950'60's...........Oh Happy Days !!!!!........................X

#71 - Oztaligian

You must have caught the bus before reaching Papplewick Village, because it went through the village, around into Linby Village along Wighay Road turned left into Hucknall town High Street, turning left at the Byron Cinema onto Station Road and then down Papplewick Lane turning right to Bestwood past the Lido, it then went towards Moor Bridge Bulwell turned left onto Bulwell Golf Course, passed the City Hospital onto Nottingham Huntingdon Street bus station...............I think they ran hourly (maybe half hourly) through Hucknall, I used to live on Station Terrace............Sounds like you came from the other direction though, catching the bus from Nottingham.............

The Pianoman, StephenFord, and Blondie,

Thank you all, so many memories and a wealth of knowledge on this site. I think you have settled the bet with my brother but before I can claim my winnings can you please let me know where exactly are Darcliff Crossroads. I lived in the area until moving to Oz but have never heard that name. Is it where Blidworth Lane meets the A 614 near Salterford Lane?

Blondie, I often caught the B8 in both directions as it was the only bus to where I lived without changing buses.

Hi Oztalgian - This is what the note in the timetable says : "The last picking up point on journeys to Nottingham and the first setting down point from Nottingham is 440 yards from Darcliff Cross Roads in the direction of Blidworth" followed by a footnote "Darcliff Cross Roads is the junction of Blidworth Bottoms Lane and the main Nottingham - Ollerton road." Hope this clears it all up for you.

I love the detail too,as I was only a simple passenger on these buses and dimly aware of such things.could you get to Little Rickkets Lane by bus? can't remember.. and to think Pianoman took me to see my sweetheart!! Last question.. does the Clipstone flyer still run?

StephenFord #82

Thanks Stephen you have confirmed what I thought, really strange that I lived in the area for 25 years and had never heard it called Darcliff Crossroads. It shows you never stop learning. can collect my bet from my brother now.

iandawson #83

Yes Ian you could have got to Little Ricket Lane by bus you could have taken the B8 talked about in previous posts and got off at Larch Farm cross road and walked 250 yards along Kirkby road (B6020) in the direction of Kirkby. Alternatively you could have taken the Nottingham to Mansfield Trent service, can't remember the route number, one stop further toward Mansfield and got off at the junction of Ricket Lane, Little Ricket Lane and the main Nottingham to Mansfield Road (A60).

There are two local landmarks in the area, the table top tree is directly at the junction. Nearby is the Bessie Sheppard Stone, a memorial to a young girl from Papplewick who walked to Mansfield to find work and upon returning was brutally murdered by Charles Rotherham who was apprehended in part by trying to sell her shoes and umbrella in the 3 Crowns Inn at Redhill. Rotherham was subsequently found guilty and hung at a public execution in Nottingham. There are also several local stories of drivers on the A60 stopping to pick up a young girl who was walking along the road only to have her disappear.

I have just checked Google street view and the table top tree is still there.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

I used to court a lass from Nottingham (now my wife) when I lived in Eastwood and I used to catch the A4 "Flyer", so called because the first stop after Nottingham was Hill Top, Eastwood.

It used to leave Maid Marian Way at 10:30pm, just in time for the drunks to stagger out from the Jolly Higglers. One guy had a mouth organ, and the journey home was more like a charabanc trip what with the music and singing!

I also remember one, in particular, of the MGO conductors. I'm sure his name was Roland, tall, thin with dark curly hair and he used to sing Gilbert and Sullivan songs. In cold weather he'd have newspaper wrapped round his legs and you could hear him rustle as he passed you.

One day we left Nottingham as a B3, and when we got to Eastwood he remembered he should have been a C5 and changed the number. The consternation of the passengers was something to behold! When I got off he was still trying to sort out refunds for those who were now on the "wrong" bus!

• Upvote 5

From Nottingham to Eastwood B3 and C5 were the same route. He would have been issuing refunds to people going further toward Alfreton. LOL!

They were indeed Malcolm. In the old days when they showed more than the final destination on the front, the B3 was via "Eastwood, Brinsley, Selston" while the C5 was via "Eastwood, Jacksdale, Riddings", both of which still trip off the tongue like poetry - well, to those with warped minds anyway!

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have to go to Kirkby to catch B7 for Grey Topper and the B6 went by Badger Box to Derby I think. We used it for ILkeston a few times. I'm sure they were Midland General.

B6 did Mansfield to Ilkeston via Kirkby, Sutton, Annesley, Brinsley, Eastwood, Heanor etc. Not sure about B7 Unless that is the route that became 148. Yes, they were Midland General

• 2 weeks later...

The bus pictured above (Gotham) went from Broad Marsh to Gotham passing through Clifton Estate.We used to catch it into town,it only went over Trent Bridge, not Clifton Bridge,going down Arkwright St, passing Midland Station into Broad Marsh B/4 the shopping Centre was built. IT was a useful service when going to the Chateau on Wilford Lane? for a Sat night meal. The South Notts (blue) buses apparently ran from Mount St, (previous comments) I used to go out with a girl from wollaton and she used to catch her last bus from there and I had to sprint down to Broad marsh to catch my last bus, often missing it and walking home to Clifton!

• Upvote 1

South Notts buses never went from Mount Street.

They went to Broad Marsh on the Clifton services, and Huntingdon Street on the Gotham - Loughborough services. When Huntingdon Street closed everything went to the new Broad Marsh.