• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to court a lass from Nottingham (now my wife) when I lived in Eastwood and I used to catch the A4 "Flyer", so called because the first stop after Nottingham was Hill Top, Eastwood. It used to

Re #71 - the F3 went directly up the A614 Ollerton Road, turning left at Darcliff Cross Roads towards Blidworth Bottoms, right along Field Lane to Blidworth, and then right into Main Street, Mansfield

Trying to repair some of the gaps left by Photobucket, I came across this, which includes two Trents, a Barton, and a Midland General.

There used to be a B8 blue bus went through Hucknall from Mansfield to Nottingham - also the C9 Hucknall to westville Estate and Alfreton hourly..........oh and the Oxten bus F5 and Beauvale, Hucknall to Broad Marsh F4............memories....

• Upvote 2

The F5 went to Wollaton only.

Re: South Notts. They were taken over by NCT some years ago, and NCT made a feeble attempt to preserve the name by giving special treatment to the Loughborough service. This is what it now looks like.

notts_zpsw41cz3cr.jpg

Blondie #102

You were right, the B8 originally went from near the Midland Hotel at Mansfield Station and then through Rainworth, Blidworth, Fishpool, (Ravenshead), Papplewick, Linby, Hucknall, Bestwood, along past a golf course, Bulwell Forest? and then back on to Mansfield Road to Huntingdon Street.

Very much round the houses, it used to take about an hour and a half. Used it many times on my visits to the City Ground before I had a car.

The south Notts buses were blue and maroon and the midland general were cream and blue - I think !

I used to sometime catch the F4 from school( Beauvale estate hucknall post office ) and get off outside my house on sandy lane. It was actually quicker to walk through the allotments and down garden road but those satchels were soooo heavy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Great pic MI. I only ever travelled on the blue double deckers when in Wollaton from 63 - 69.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 23/12/2013 at 6:48 PM, Bilbraborn said:

Slightly off the blue colour this one, but can anyone remember the Bundy machines where the conductor had to stick a time card into it to record the time and make sure they were running to time? The only one I can remember was on Carlton Road next to Manvers School, but there must have been more.

I used to work for NCT as a driver  and the one you remember on carlton Road i mist and had to wait at the next stop while my conducter walked back to clock her card lol, Also was one on Aspley Lane at the Melbourn Road stop.

• Upvote 1

Every now & then the B8 would be a green bus: Mansfield District Traction or was it East Midlands? I can't remember now, they were also Bristol Lo-Deckers IIRC. The free NCB bus to/from Moorgreen training centre to/from Nottingam via Hucknall & Bulwell was Midland General, & sometimes that was a green one as well...

Green ones would be Mansfield District - closely associated with Midland General until absorbed by East Midland as part of NBC. Some single deckers had joint livery and both fleetnames (Mansfield District-Midland General) or the other way around.

• Upvote 1

I once queried that with drivers older than me, in my Trent days doing 141's, 'why were B8's sometimes green' Apparently it was purely because they had run out of blue uns'!

• Upvote 2

The B8 became 346, then 341 & then 141 which it still is. Still goes round the houses so I've heard. Furthest I ever went north on it was to the market place in Hucknall. Used to lie in bed when I lived in Bestwood Village & hear it going up Moor Road towards Papplewick at 11PM'ish. There is a blue bus going between Nottingham & Hucknall now run by AOT, it used to be red & called the 'red 8' just called '8' now AOT run it.. 

• 4 months later...

That does not look like a genuine Midland General Bus to me, as it does not have the 3rd blind that has interim stops, i.e. when bound for Nottingham the B8 blind would have shown Blidworth, Hucknall and Bestwood. This looks more a repainted Mansfield District Traction bus as shown below. Even the number plate series would fit.

Picture

TRB581F, fleet no. 314 was one of a batch of Bristol Lodekkas bought new by Midland General in 1968:

Fleet numbers were 301 to 314, registrations (in order) were TRB568-578F, YNU350/351G & TRB581F.

TRB585F, fleet no. 690 was one of a batch of similar vehicles bought new by Mansfield District at the same time:

Fleet numbers were 690 to 694, registrations were TRB585-589F.

• Upvote 2

The YNU's were based at Langley Mill for most of their lives, I remember them well. I don't remember ever seeing the TRB's, blue or green so I am guessing that they remained at Mansfield

I remember the blue bus that stopped at the post office on Beauvale very well. My grandma used to run the greengrocers next door to the post office so we virtually had our own bus stop, very handy. 

• Upvote 1

I can offer these photos of my own, all taken in the early 1970s:

Midland General 305, registration TRB572F on route E1 which I believe was Wollaton to Nottingham. Location unknown, but photo was taken through the windscreen of a car travelling in the opposite direction!

Midland20General20305201970s_zpsjvngnofz

Midland General 311, registration TRB578F seen in Nottingham on route B3 - Alfreton to Nottingham?

Midland20General2031120in20Nottingham201

And here's another one of Mansfield District 690, registration TRB585F, taken I think in Mansfield and shown passing a Midland General Bristol VR in National Bus Company livery.

Mansfield20District20690201970s_zpsmiw1s

• Upvote 2

Great photo of E1.  It went from Mount Street, through Wollaton Village, along Trowell Road, up Cockington and ten turned right onto Coventry Lane (Bilborough Road) and finished at the top of Bramhall Road, were it joined Coventry Lane. I loved the part of the journey down the hill (Ilkeston Road) from Canning Circus. The drivers seemed to go very fast and it was great on the front seat upstairs.  When I worked in Farmers I would catch the E1 early in the morning. I realised that all the women seemed to have their own seats so for a few days I got to the top of Bramhall Road early and being and the front of the queue I had a choice of seat.  I sat in each one in turn!  Talk about dirty looks but nobody ever said a word to me! Great memories.

I am trying to work out where the photo was taken.  I have just been on Google maps street view and followed the route through Wollaton. I think the photo may be somewhere on the way up towards the Church and the Admiral Rodney, there are walled parts and hedges there.  I cannot remember part of Trowell Road being like this and the other sections of the route were built up.

Thanks Merthyr Imp, you have inspired a bit of research here!