• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to court a lass from Nottingham (now my wife) when I lived in Eastwood and I used to catch the A4 "Flyer", so called because the first stop after Nottingham was Hill Top, Eastwood. It used to

Re #71 - the F3 went directly up the A614 Ollerton Road, turning left at Darcliff Cross Roads towards Blidworth Bottoms, right along Field Lane to Blidworth, and then right into Main Street, Mansfield

Trying to repair some of the gaps left by Photobucket, I came across this, which includes two Trents, a Barton, and a Midland General.

Thanks for pictures thats a good collection of the old busses i can not identify big bertha,did you actually see it i think it was based at Underwood bus garages.When i was in high school i usedĀ  mgo every day for 5 years travelling from Nuthall 3 ponds pub to the Aertex factory at Alfreton i caught either the B3 or the C5.I cant remember where igot it there was sheet with all mgo bus fleet numbers and licence plate numbers it was like a train spotting book wish i had it now.Thanks Ian.

Ā 

Where was Spitfire Bottoms at Blidworth when i was in the MGO car ralley club we finished there had a picnic and a bonfire this would be 1964 great times rallying in my 1960 morris 1000. After one rally we finished at the Griffins Head at Papplewick, in the small field at the side of the pub we did some driving skills contests.

Would imagine ''Spitfire Bottoms'''........were same as 'Bliduth' bottoms''.........lit many fires there.........lol

• 5 weeks later...

This brings back memories of when I grew up in Wollaton. I used to get the E6, I think it was, to Bilborough Grammar School until I got a cycle permit. I think there was a C6 and F9 went through Wollaton too, the F9 went through the village and the C6 and B2 (?) along Russell Drive. Another bus turned down Bramcote Lane and I if I got on that one I had to walk from the library to Goodwood Road instead of just walking round the corner if I got the others.

Ā 

The bus tickets all had a three digit number on and there was a craze of trying to collect all the numbers, I was desperate to get 999 but I never did.

Ā 

Someone has mentioned the restrictions where the city bus and Midland General routes overlapped. For the Wollaton routes it was Eton Grove, you couldn't get off before then if you were coming from town, or on after that if you were going into town.

Ā 

Ā 

That restriction AlanB, also occurred on the 16a Coventry lane/Aspley lane. If boarded at the terminus, you were not allowed to go past Forest road, on Alfreton road. Some people thought they could alight and then get back on and pay again. But it didn't work, as a conductor, you were to refuse them. Any decent conductor would tell the passenger boarding at the terminus,Ā they could not ride to the city.

On 1/22/2020 at 3:48 AM, IAN FINN said:

Where was Spitfire Bottoms at Blidworth

The airfield you mentioned was known as No 35 SLG (Satellite or Relief Landing Ground) RAF Blidworth

It is known that among the aircraft stored there were Westland Whirlwind fighter bombers

It was used for aircraft preparation. storage and training, it was a grass field situated approximately where Rigg Lane meets Longdale Lane.

It was managed by 51 Maintenance Unit Lichfield.

You can view where it was hereĀ 

http://www.abct.org.uk/airfields/airfield-finder/blidworth/

For Ben's benefit it would have been about a two mile walk to the Fox and Hounds at Blidworth Bottoms

Ā 

My first thought when you mentioned Westland Whirlwind was that it was a helicopter. Then I read this..

Ā 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westland_Whirlwind_(fighter)

Ā 

MustĀ admit Iā€™d never heard of the fighterĀ until now. Mind you, I hadnā€™t heard of RAF Blidworth either, even though I used to live not far from it.

• 2 weeks later...
On ā€Ž2ā€Ž/ā€Ž16ā€Ž/ā€Ž2017 at 5:45 AM, The Pianoman said:

Midland General buses were actually painted red before they were re-named Trent. So at that time you could get a blue MGO, a red MGO or occasionally a red Trent

All the posts relating to Midland general I found really interesting.Ā  I was born in Jacksdale in 1962 and my dad Sydney and mum Margaret worked at the depot in Underwood.Ā  My dad Syd Lowe was a driver and my mum Maggie was a conductress.

I am also trying to get as much information about my Mum and Dad and Midland General.

I am not sure if its allowed, but my email address is elowe@hotmail.co.uk

Thank you

Hi Emma welcome to Nottsalgia regarding the blue buses from about 1958 until 1963 i went to Alfreton High School .I lived at Nuthall and would catch either the B3 or the C5 which went to Alfreton maybe your mum or dad was on those buses at the same time as those buses operated out of Underwood. A friend of mine Gordon Ince was also a bus driver for MGO and his wife was a conductress they also ran MGO car rally club from about 1964 until 1968 which i was a member. If you have any memories of those wonderful days i would like to hear about them and also any photos of your mum and dad i might recognize them. My friend Mick GreenĀ  lived in Jacksdale his father was an optician and lived in a big house by the war memorial. In the school holidays i had a job at Limbs the pop factory in Jacksdale .

I have lived at Eastwood since 1959 so was also a regular traveller on B3 and C5. A couple of photos would be a good idea.

• 1 month later...

As a child I lived on Hucknall Road, I always remember the blue Midland General buses on the B8 to Mansfield. We had green and cream on NCT, red and white on Trent and blue and cream on MGO. The blue and cream was the most handsome livery, I was sorry when they got painted in that awful poppy red of NBC.

• Like 1
On 3/6/2020 at 9:56 AM, Emma Lowe said:

I am also trying to get as much information about my Mum and Dad and Midland General.

The Crich Tramway Museum has a number of books on MGO and I am sure they would be available through Amazon too.