Like the picture of the B3. Yes they did run from Alfreton to Nottingham via Eastwood. Still don't remember TRB's but they must have run through Eastwood. B3 ran out of Alfreton depot along with C5 also Alfreton to Nottingham on the same route apart from a difference around Underwood and Brinsley.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I used to court a lass from Nottingham (now my wife) when I lived in Eastwood and I used to catch the A4 "Flyer", so called because the first stop after Nottingham was Hill Top, Eastwood. It used to

Re #71 - the F3 went directly up the A614 Ollerton Road, turning left at Darcliff Cross Roads towards Blidworth Bottoms, right along Field Lane to Blidworth, and then right into Main Street, Mansfield

Trying to repair some of the gaps left by Photobucket, I came across this, which includes two Trents, a Barton, and a Midland General.

1 hour ago, BilboroughShirley said:

I am trying to work out where the photo was taken.  I have just been on Google maps street view and followed the route through Wollaton. I think the photo may be somewhere on the way up towards the Church and the Admiral Rodney, there are walled parts and hedges there.  I cannot remember part of Trowell Road being like this and the other sections of the route were built up.

And I'm afraid I've completely forgotten the circumstances in which the photo was taken.  I was always very dilatory about recording dates (especially) and locations. 

Colly, Pianoman, Merthyr Imp,

Thanks for the information you all provide, along with the memories and the great photos, keep them coming.

I checked with an "anorak" mate of mine and both MDT and MGO had buses with the three blinds, one showing interim stops. So much for memory!

In the case of the MDT route 208 Mansfield to Newark showing Blidworth, Southwell and Upton. Apparently the MGO inspectors were sticklers for having the blinds set properly. I think the ones with the three blinds look more pleasing to the eye. The ones with just the route number and the destination look more austere and utilitarian.

I completely agree with you Oztalgian. The 3-blind layout was common to most of the THC (former Tillings) group companies, but Midland General did it slightly differently. Most had the final destination at the top, with the route number and 3-line "via" screen underneath. MGO had the final destination at the bottom - which I suppose was more logical - so that the full display on a B3, for example, would show in the right sequence Eastwood, Brinsley, Selston, ALFRETON. 

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 19/12/2013 at 9:47 PM, darkazana said:

Have a lovely print of the B1 Ripley Midland General bus on our wall. How anorakky is that. It is from an oil painting by M J Parnham a local artist.

I just ordered 3 prints from Malcolm Parnham. One of Wolsey factory, one of forty Bridges and one of Shippo's bridge over Kimberley Main Street and all featuring a midland general bus.

I was born in 1970 and recall in the first half of the seventies, standing at the bus stop at the top of Gilthill with my mother and guessing whether it'd be a blue bus or a red bus to Nottingham so that must've been when the changeover was from Midland General to Trent Motor Traction Company.

On 17/05/2016 at 0:41 PM, Merthyr Imp said:

Here's a photo of an F5 parked at the then-fairly new Mount Street bus station. Probably taken in 1972 or 1973.

Midland20General20ORB253K20at20Nottm2019

I hated that bus station, accessing it thru that tunnel. I was terrified of the tramps as a little girl and everyone was smoking. The smell on the buses from it too. I do remb the canteen bus for drivers at Mount Street. I much preferred it when Trent moved their buses to the original Victoria Centre bus station, although still the vile fumes from buses and cigarettes.

Anyone remember the drivers of the old MG and Trent buses heading up Derby Road to Canning Circus and not being able to get their gears? Even as a little girl I got a cricked neck going home from shopping with my mother and when my dad came home from work that night, he took me to the old Ilkeston Hospital to be checked out. 

Oh and my mother was a pain for nodding of to sleep on the bus and missing our stop at Gilthill near Kimberley and she would tend to wake up seconds after and then we'd not be allowed off until the next stop outside Bonser Engineering. She was a crazy woman and would berate me all the way home (saying it was my fault for not waking her up in time) and my little five year old legs would have to trudge back up the hill having been dragged around town all afternoon. She was a horrid woman.

1 hour ago, Kimberley said:

I just ordered 3 prints from Malcolm Parnham. One of Wolsey factory, one of forty Bridges and one of Shippo's bridge over Kimberley Main Street and all featuring a midland general bus.

I was born in 1970 and recall in the first half of the seventies, standing at the bus stop at the top of Gilthill with my mother and guessing whether it'd be a blue bus or a red bus to Nottingham so that must've been when the changeover was from Midland General to Trent Motor Traction Company.

Midland General buses were actually painted red before they were re-named Trent. So at that time you could get a blue MGO, a red MGO or occasionally a red Trent

The repainting and re-naming came about following the formation of the National Bus Company in 1969 and the standardisation of liveries etc that followed.

I'm afraid I don't have a colour picture of a red Midland General bus but here's one in black & white of what I'm pretty sure was a red one leaving the afore-mentioned Victoria Bus Station. Note the standardised form of the fleet name with the arrow symbol in the same style as the Trent bus behind it.

Midland20General2068520at20Victoria20Bus

• Upvote 1

Not so clear as the one Oztalgian put up, but here's a Midland General/Mansfield District route map, which shows where the B8 went reasonably well. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=midland+general+map&rlz=1C1OPRA_enGB560GB561&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=735&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjeprL6x5nSAhVnB8AKHfrLAGsQ7AkILw#imgrc=4ObpM4cQiWwGqM:

• Upvote 1

Great Post Stephen. Thank you.

I never realised how extensive the MGO routes were as until I got a car as never really travelled much by bus to the west of the city and into Derbyshire. Must have caught a blue bus though going to Hardwick hall and the fair but can't remember the details.

The routes of MDT caused me to remember days long gone of fishing on the Trent at Fiskerton and Averham via the 209, at Gunthorpe via the 210 and visiting relatives at Bilsthorpe on the 207

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Merthyr Imp #124 On the third photo, you are correct, it is in Mansfield. The photo was taken outside the front of the Mansfield Shoe Company factory. Alas no longer there. I think the street going off to the right may be Belvedere Street and Dallas street is just off picture in the direction of travel of the bus.

• 2 months later...

Cliff Ton #143

Is it just me or does the number plate on the blue B8 look wrong some how?

Didn't the Midland Red X99 go from Huntingdon Street too?

Merthyr Imp

Great photo of the F3 in the black and cream livery

The B8 looks "naked" somehow without an advert below the upper deck windows, same goes for the Trent behind it I guess the B8 must have just been painted in the red livery. Rare to see the blinds so sloppily set on a MGO bus.

It was better when the buses had conductors as you could get on out of the cold and wet as soon as the bus pulled on to the stand. If the bus was pay on entry you had to wait in the cold until the driver had his cup of tea and sausage sarnie and came and opened the doors.

The registration on the blue B8 is correct. It is an early Bristol FLF, Derby registered.  R , RA, RB and RC were all Derby (or Derbyshire) registrations.  1392 R was most likely 1963 registered.

• Upvote 1

It did, I caught it loads of times with my mother when visiting her family in Erdington.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone remember mgo bus fleet number 464 known as big bertha often used on the B4 route from mount st.to South Normanton it was a 70 seater always used at rush hour i use to see it go through Watnall in the mid 60s.