David Coleman

Another Treasure gone to the big screen in the sky. Looks like there will be some great entertainment upstairs this Christmas with the rate at which they are being gathered in. RIP David Coleman

i don't know if the other ex-pat's think like me. you move away, and time stands still for the personalities in the uk. you don't tend to see them in the news or on the telly over here, so they stay just as they were. when you see where it says things like 'david coleman died, aged 87', you go, no way, he can't be that age. we miss seeing folks age gracefully!

Seems like there is hardly a week goes by without news of the passing of someone or other that was a household name when we were growing up. Reminds one of ones own rapidly approaching mortality. Sorry to be so cheerful at Christmas. :sorry: but there is no escaping it. Death and taxes and all that. Live for the day I guess.

I was saddened to see the passing of David Coleman though I have to say, I was never a fan of his sports commentary.

I've got several tapes of his gaffes and unguarded comments and it's clear that he wasn't the pleasant persona that he tried to project on TV.

When he resigned from the BBC in 2000 there wasn't much of a send off because most people didn't actually like him that much.

One aspect of his career that will live on however is the peculiar ability that he had to use the mixed metaphor or completely contradict himself within the same sentance.

Private Eye called it Colemanballs.

"When the bell goes there's going to be a right old ding-dong"

"This then a unique situation, almost identical to what happened yesterday"

"The women's 400 metres, suprisingly few Frenchmen in this one"

"With the score standing at 2-0, this games really is perfectly balanced"

I could go on....

'Quite extraordinary !'

RIP