Lockerbie & Penlee lifeboat disasters

This time of the year a few days before Christmas always reminds me of these two futile and unnecessary tragedies. The bombing of the flight to America , and the cruel loss of the Solomon Browne lifeboat and the mainly volunteer crew from Mousehole attempting to rescue the captain and crew of the freighter Union Star. No survivors in one of the bravest and selfless acts this country has ever witnessed.

I find it incredible and rather depressing that Lockerbie was 25 years ago. Where have all those years gone? Wasn't it just a few months later when the plane came down on the M1 ?

Forgive the pun, but time certainly does seem to fly.

We visited the site while we were up there in the summer. It was truly heartwrenching. Thoughts are with all those affected by this awful needless loss.

Yes LizzieM, the M1 just near Kegworth was shortly afterwards. My husband was one dealing with the aftermath of that particular accident.

These things are dreadful at anytime but I can't imagine how unbearable they must make Christmas for those left behind for the rest of their lives.

We saw the memorial to the lost lifeboat crew just east of Mousehole the other year. It brings it home to you when you realise the entire crew were all from the Moushole area. The effect on the village must have been devastating.

• 1 year later...

Well, time certainly does fly. 34 years today that the Penlee Lifeboat disaster took place when they were attempting to rescue the crew of the Union Star in the most horrendous weather conditions imaginable. Also 27 years since the Lockerbie bombing.

As I said previously, so unnecessary. Yet again, my heart goes out to the victims friends and family.

I've been to Moushole many times since that devastating night, and the pride in that small village is still prominent to this day.

• 11 months later...

It's Dec 19th and my quiet private thoughts are with the family, friends and relatives of the Penlee lifeboat disaster victims. 

Likewise the Lockerbie atrocity which took place the week prior to Christmas. 

The festive period isn't a happy time for everyone.

• Upvote 1

No Government funding whatsoever. Disgraceful. Yet on the radio today, it was revealed that the UK donate £5M of taxpayers hard earned cash to an Ethiopian schoolgirl band. Sheer madness!

• Upvote 1

If you can't be proud in your own country where can you,I am an Englishman and as such am more than proud to shout that from the highest points

Rog

• Upvote 3

They conveniently forget that we gave most of the world a decent language, legal systems, roads and railways, medical treatment, education systems, democratic Parliament and Government, health care, and a multitude of scientific ideas. 

• Upvote 5

We'll get on to discussing The Gaul one day Ian. I've continued to read up on it over the years, and it's a fascinating mystery.

Ey' up Fly..the Romans did that an' all !!

Funny- after a night out in Nottm...i hopped in a taxi near The Bell pub,casual banter with the driver..talking about the Euro/Brexit/cost of living etc..

I asked him where he was from?

" Born in Lenton mate"

Further chat about UK life today...I then said "you're English, do you think Nottm has changed recently"?

He said " he would let me off,as i live in Ireland- my parents are from Pakistan"!!

I said" if you are from Lenton Sands..you're more of a Brit than me!"

He was very offended..

I got out puzzled...seems a lot live ,avail ,contribute,to Britain but have no respect or affinity towards it!

As I left the cab ..i said " so you won't be collecting your Old Age Pension in 30 years then?"

No tip for him.

Air Ambulance is also kept by our donations not the NHS or GOVERMENT.

The lifeboat and air ambulance should not have to wait for our donations it should be funded by Government.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

37 years ago on that terrible night that the tragedy struck. I won't repeat myself, but the crew of the Solomon Browne were DEFINITELY the bravest of the brave. I salute you.

No Christmas lights on in the tiny Cornish village of Moushole tonight. 

There has been much on the BBC website recently about Lockerbie. Horrific images. It doesn't seem 30 years ago. No one knows what those poor folk experienced before their bodies hit the ground, nor those who were vapourised when wreckage and aviation fuel hit their houses.

Who was to blame? Will we ever really know for sure? One thing I do believe is that, whoever they were, they will pay for it.

• Upvote 1