The great and brilliant Alan Turing has been finally pardoned after so many years.

Alan Turing worked at Bletchley Park during the second world war and helped in breaking the coding on the Enigma machine amongst other very important code work. Sadly, for him, he was accused of being Homosexual and rather than face prison and subsequent national disgrace he chose Chemical Castration rather than prison.

The treatment did not stop his feelings and driven beyond despair he ate an apple which had been soaked in cyanide and in the doing so took his own life. This action, it is believed helped to create the image that we see today on all apple Logo,s

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25495315

I'm pleased he's been given a royal pardon, let's face it - the treatment given to all homosexuals in that era was dreadful. I also sympathise with those that say the pardon should be extended to other victims.

Why didn't he just keep his mouth shut? Do you go around shouting "I'm a heterosexual"? Why do gays feel the need to do so?

Anyway, I'm sure i read that his death was an accident, that the apple became contaminated accidentally. Who would take a bite of a poisoned apple, not knowing whether there would be a lethal dose when he could simply swallow a potion or tablet that would ensure his death?

Why didn't he just keep his mouth shut? Do you go around shouting "I'm a heterosexual"? Why do gays feel the need to do so?

He didn't - the following article has details on his offence and conviction.

http://www.newstatesman.com/david-allen-green/2013/07/putting-right-wrong-done-alan-turing

The proposed statutory pardon for Alan Turing is modelled on the statutory pardon for the executed deserters. The pardon does not affect either the conviction or the sentence.

(From a pedantic point of view, the probation order imposed on Turing was not a "sentence” under section 3 of the Criminal Justice Act 1948 but an alternative to a sentence. Also under section 12 of the 1948 Act, a conviction such as Turing's which resulted in a probation order was to be legally disregarded. Therefore Turing’s conviction has already been disregarded as a matter of law. So not only is there no defendant alive to take the benefit of the pardon, there is in Turing’s case arguably no conviction or sentence even capable technically of being the subject of a pardon.)

The promoters of the statutory pardon know that a statutory pardon is a gesture.

• Upvote 1

You may find this interesting,Bubblewrap.

The word homosexual is not mentioned, and nor is any synonym. This is because the law did not prohibit homosexuality per se. The offence was targeted not at what was thought, but at what was physically done: it was not male homosexuality which was to be punished but its intimate manifestation.