have you purchased owt at the door good or bad

Ref #1 That paste sounds like Astonish paste usually available jn all good pound shops for.......ermmmm £1 :)

Do you think if i said i dont want anything they would not case the joint if thats on their mind theres naff all i can do about it incidently i paid less than 2 dusters i cant stand violent theiving tow rags but if we never gave anybody a chance in life nothing would change. Folk that come from the meadows will know that we were judged on where we lived and were treat accordingly even though the majority from the meadows were hard working down to earth folk incidently the people running these sales teams are probably judged ok and in fact it is them that use kids wishes to better themselves and pay them peanuts .do you think a hardline crim is going to go to work knocking doors for peanuts they dont case joints nowadays they go where they want.

• Upvote 3

a charlesworth, nice comments regarding the Meadows folk and giving people a chance in life and being judged by where you live. Regarding strangers coming to the door, I never answer it if I'm not expecting anyone to call. I'm not going to buy anything, join any groups or be a Jehovah Witness so there'd be no point and there's also the security aspect.

• Upvote 2

I've bought no end of useless rubbish from these lads in the past but nowadays if they come knocking I give them a couple of quid and tell them I don't want anything thanks. One time years ago when we lived down South, this lad came to the door with his big bag of stuff and showed me his card whilst explaining the usual drivel about being an ex-offender etc. I studied his card and saw that he was 'employed' by a company on Rolleston Drive, Arnold, so he'd been driven 120 miles to sell his wares. I told him that I knew Arnold very well and grew up round the corner from where his employer was based. He seemed a bit sheepish when he heard that! I bought a crappy ironing board cover (that wasn't big enough) and he scuttled off.

[ appriciate and respect your view however i believe that knowing what is going on around you gives better protection what i wrote in #5 wasnot off the cuff comments it is what i truely believe you know the vunerable in your area im sure you being aware would give you and them far greater protection.if you answer the door they kow you are in so will move on giving you the knowledge that there is a potential for crime. im glad they knock on my door if they are genuine no probs if i think they are iffy ill watch them .

Desperation makes these kids travel 120 miles not money lazy good for nothings wouldnt bother i used to get them in the shop they rarely had money for a drink i like Lizzie M dont usually buy anything but give them instead you cant have things both ways if our young are to grow and mature into decent subjects then we should give benefit of doubt dont forget we were once them being labelled by the older generation interesting Lizzie you doubting them and not the crooks that exploit them. It is sometimes easy to lose sight of the fact that majority of kid are fine and we condemn them because they dont have careers we approve of .

Reformed ex-offenders my Arse, they are the same as scum who beg on the city streets and "only" make £700 per week.

I had a mate who worked at Radford Mills years ago, a load of these "travelling salesman" would get picked up there and travel all over the country flogging overpriced goods etc, they had a variety of ID cards purporting to sell on behalf of various charities.

All these people were claiming benefits, what you & I were paying in to through our taxes.

Don't let em fool you.

Trust me mate anyone that knows me will know tow rags dont fool me the kids i have experienced knocking doors are usually promised the earth to sell overpriced crap and honestly believe that job is going to make their fortune annd most of their day is spent being moaned at by misserable old sods like you and me.Believe me you would not put up with what they endure it takes them a few weeks to realise that the fortune they were promised will not materialise how do i know been there .

I always used to buy something from them, being a trusting soul, though since we put up large solid gates with a "I Live Here" dog sign we haven't had too many cold callers. In fact we haven't had any!!! Even the postman was a bit wary when the gates went up. Don't know why, the dog sign was there when we moved in, we just repositioned it when the old gatepost was removed to make way for the new one! :laugh:

I buy absolutely nothing at the door and if anyone knocks I just point to the sign on the window saying such. But I don't think casing the joint is a modern practice. More sophisticated but simple methods work better. Like the scum who showed my elderly mother in Law a home made Police Warrant Card to get her to open the door. It was then simple to get her to show him the back yard on pretence of examining security while his mate swiftly nipped up stairs and ransacked her bedroom.

Casing the joint? Waste of time. There are plenty of gullible old dears who still keep their savings in the house.

A few years ago, two boys aged 11&14 were apprehended on a stretch of Hucknall Rd . In their possession was a notebook with every house number on that stretch, registration number of residents cars and times of residents leaving and returning home. Probably the police just confiscated the book instead of removing the boys hands.

Every time I see a stranger walk past my house, I tend to stare aggressively and wait until they are out of sight before resuming my tasks.

Perspective this is true when i hadthe shop one of these door knockers found an old lady shouting she had fallen and could not get up the young girl got in and comforted the old lady till help arrived then without fuss and left had this girl not called what could the consequences have been quite often we care too much about our selves and are oblivious to our neighbours and then we call other people iam guilty of that i do appriciate that we should always air on the side of caution.

#16 Basfordred

The passersby we get tend to be dog walkers and I must admit I stare aggressively at them when the let their dog do it's business on the grass outside our hedge.....just to make sure they clean it up, rather than our lawn mower finding it!

• Upvote 3

Charlesworth, If I had caught him he would have had more than a boot up his jacksy. And if my son had caught him I would be looking at visiting him (my son) in Lincoln on a murder charge.

Not really buying at the door but a similar scam to the elderly.

On one of my trips home just before my old mum died I found a hand written receipt on her desk, for 650 pounds for roof repairs.

On querying this she said some nice man had knocked on her door and offered to check her roof before the coming winter, she had partial dementia at the time, and this low life took her for the money ! and when I went up and checked,( it was only a bungalow) nothing had been done, as I had previously replaced some tiles in an earlier visit and could plainly see nothing extra at all had been done anywhere on the roof.

She said he had been up there around half an hour ! even if he had done some work, that cost for half an hour was disgusting, let alone do nothing !

She also got hit for fifty pounds to change a tap washer by another scumbag !

When my father went senile and was losing track of what he was spending we found he was drawing out 2 to 3 hundred pounds a week from the hole in the wall but could not see what it was being spent on. As he had a memory span of about 40 seconds he would not even have remembered if anyone had scammed him. In the end my brother took over his finances putting all bills on Direct Debit and giving my dad ten pounds or so a week for his needs. We all took him shopping and he ate at our house at weekends and my sons twice a week.

He had delivery of frozen ready meals paid for by direct debit. Even with that tenner he would go to the co-op and buy four pints of milk, 2 loaves and a dozen tomatoes. For a 92 year old? Easy meat for scumbags out for an easy taking.

There is a theme here can any of the old meadows folk remember anything like this i cant because i witnessed what happened to people that took advantage of the elderly its what you vote for and what you get the police were effective before everyone became liberal you cant have it both ways keep voting for politicians that dont give a damn.

I should think in places with close knit community the locals would sort out the scum who fleece the elderly. Personally I would chop their (expletive deleted) hands off right up to their shoulders.

• Upvote 1

iI used to hire videos at the door i used to buy milk at the door i have brought insurance at the door also pop many years ago coal i think people have forgot what they have purchased over the years because of dishonesty nowadays but postmen were pinching and failing to deliver cards and post years ago