have you purchased owt at the door good or bad

I had someone knock at my door, usual speel, in area doing work nearby want new windows, by the way your fascias are a mess would you like a quote to do them? Wasn’t doing much that afternoon so thought why not. Chap came round, seemed pleasant enough and boy could he talk. Told me all about the firm, never heard of them before, explained what they would do, had videos and graphs, showed me samples of materials used, starting to get bored now. Eventually he had a look round outside of house, kept calling me outside to ask questions and point things out. Explained how much scaffolding would be needed and finally after what seemed hours came to the quote. It was over £6000, after I stopped feeling faint I said it was too high for me, he asked how much I expected I said about £1500 to £2000, so he said he would try and cut it down, he did a bit to under £6000. I said no it was too high and he launched into how well they would do it etc. etc. Still said no I would expect good plating for that figure. Eventually he went leaving me his phone number in case I changed my mind, hope he isn’t holding his breath as I won’t not at that price I had the windows at my other house changed for just a bit more than that quote by Everest who aren’t exactly cheap. Four hours if my life I will never get back!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Not exactly buying at the door but in 1989 we had just moved into a new house . We had bought the house with the restaurant. One day someone knocked on the door and told me that the ch needed something or other .He told me it was against the law to keep it like that I can't remember exactly what it was or why but I told him to carry on and put it right.. When my husband came in he went berserk and told me never ever to buy or even talk to anybody who came to the door. I explained everything to him and he didn't think it sounded correct so he phoned the local police who were actually friends. he told us that it was a con and we made a little trap for the "salesman" . phoned the so called salesman and told him to come and check something. Whilst I was in the kitchen with the police man my husband asked him loads of questions leading him to what he said was illegal . The right moment myself and the policeman showed our faces and his dropped a mile. He return the money he'd taken and left with his head down and a red face. Since then I don't trust anyone. Living in the country is lovely but it also brings a lot of scams and theives .Anyone that stops their car out side the gate is suspect. fortunately it doesn't happen frequently

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1