RIP Phil Everley

A sad loss, I hope he made things up with his brother Don, some of the first music I remember as a kid. RIP

Rog

RIP Phil, saw them once and had many of their great singles. Damn good pop music .

What the f...s going on, I tried to reply to this post, but was informed that I needed moderator approval!

Didn't cotton on to the Everleys till the early 70`s, but then really appreciated their close harmonies and melodies. Still enjoy listening and trying to harmonize with their music.

Another sad passing.

Saw them once, and had many of their great singles. A sad loss.

Cliff, I first posted #2 which was on "Questions about Forum Membership" and had the awaiting moderator legend on it then disappeared as the topic had been moved to Obituaries and my original post had vanished, hence my new post #7·

I was confused too, but that doesn't take much doing!

RIP Phil Everly, one my sister's favourite duo's, my sister sadly passed away just a few weeks ago.....................

I'm sorry to read about the loss of your sister, Paulus. My condolences to you and your family.

Does anyone remember the Everly Brothers Show at the Nottingham Odeon on the 23rd October 1963. Also on the bill was The Rolling Stones, Little Richard, Bo Diddley and a few other less well known people. I took my girlfriend to see the show and it was absolutely fantastic. The Rolling Stones were on their first major UK tour after forming in 1962 and had just released 'Come On'. I loved the raw R&B sound of the Stones and became a big fan in their early years. Bo Diddley had his famed rectangular guitar and his driving, hard edged sound was fantastic.The Everly Brothers stood there and did their stuff and put on a great show. The act who sent the place wild was Little Richard. He pounded out a song and then started having a bit of banter with the crowd. He'd only sung one song but the sweat was pouring off of him. He took his coat off and unbuttoned his shirt and asked the crowd if he should take it off. You can imagine what their reply was. He then went to unfasten his trouser belt and I thought I'd go deaf with the screaming girls. It was all innocent fun and his music had everyone rockin'. It was a fantastic show and, as you can see, one I'll never forget. The Everly Brothers first big hits in the UK were 'Bye Bye Love' and 'Wake Up Little Suzie' in 1957. Their first UK number 1 was 'All I Have To Do Is Dream' in 1958. They made some great records and when their songs come on the radio I'm sure that everyone, like myself, remembers the words as they sing along. They haven't had any UK hits for a few years but the memory of the Everly Brothers will live on with their fans. R.I.P. Phil Everly.

• Upvote 4

Michael , I was at that show in 63 too . I think I wrote about it before somewhere on here .

My favourite on the night was Bo Diddley , he made some sort of aeroplane swooping noise with his guitar before launching into Roadrunner . I also remember Little Richard and my memory of him was running up the aisles still singing .

However I wrote in my diary that I thought the Stones were "rather poor" on tbe night . So we differ there . I wrote they sang Come On, Some Other Guy, and Wanna Be Your Man . However I did become a fan later .

Think I went on my own to that one ....a young 14 year old !

Also on the bill was Mickie Most who went on to be a manager of many bands , The Rattles and I've written Hot Pastrami whether that was the name of a group appearing I'm not sure as there is a tune with tbat name too.

• Upvote 1

Hi Michael. I was also at the Odeon show. I liked Bo Diddley with The Duchess and Jerome, and the Stones and Everlys, but for me Little Richard was the highlight of the night. One of the first 45s I bought was his version of Baby Face, brilliant, it was great to see him live. Mickey Most was good, did Sea Cruise if I remember rightly. Also was there a girl solo singer, Susan Maugham possibly.

Great days as I was just 17 at the time and finding my way in the world.

By the way, are you the same Michael Booth who attended Blue Bell Hill infants / junior school in the mid 50s. I did when I lived on Garnet St just off Gordon Rd.

• Upvote 1

Girl singer looks to have been Julie Grant ?

Here you go and promoted by Sharon Osbornes dad ! Doesn't mention Little Richard (or The Rattles ):

stones_1963_tour_15297.jpg

• Upvote 1

The funny thing about that tour list is how sensible it was geographically. With modern transport now you'll see a tour that goes Southampton, Glasgow, Birmingham, London, Newcastle, Bristol, Leeds, London again then North again to Sheffield.

• Upvote 1

'The Price Of Love' by The Everlys was the first single I bought with my own money.

5/6d if I remember rightly.

Fantastic songs and great harmony singing. They were a unique sound.

Sad that booze and drugs split them apart for so long.

RIP Phil.

Gone but not forgotten.

It seems to me that Fame and Fortune are twin sisters of evil. For every one person who seeks and finds both fame and fortune and lives with them in peace there is yet another one or two people who find that they cannot control either fame or fortune. Sad but seemingly true.

'It's My Time' was released in 1968, Mattsdigs and, like you state, it was a really good song that just crept into the UK Top 40.

Many thanks for that information. I had always believed that it was released in the early seventies. Don't know where my info came from and quite obviously in error so for that many thanks.

So sorry to hear about the death of Phil Everly, A very talented pair of brothers, my favorite song of theirs has always been Cathy's Clown, but there are so many of their songs that i really enjoy. It is always sad when a life ends and particually when the person is not of a big age and close relative or friend, I have recently lost my young brother at the age of 54.Very sorry to read of the loss of your Sister Paulus, I send my condolences.