Paying to get into Netherfield

@Beekay: to answer your query. After the 1792 enclosure act, land was divided up mainly between the Nobility and the Church.

The two Lords of the Manor in this instance being the Earl of Chesterfield and Charles Pierrepont.

from North to South there was already in existence a carriage/bridle path leading to the river Trent. Heading West off this path was another public bridle road heading towards Nottingham via Colwick.

The former became known as the Nether Field lane.

As the route through Colwick was less arduous than going over Carlton Hill, most travellers took the low road.

Charles Pierrepont decided to charge a toll for crossing his land.

Around 1800 a toll gate was erected at the junction of these bridle ways. Arguably, it should have been sited further along this bridle path, possibly around the site where Netherfield Coaches operated from at a later date.

This land at this time was all meadow land and fields. No railways, no industry.

Whilst contentious, it took until 1905 for disputes to be settled and compensation paid to the owners of Colwick Hall.

• Like 2
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the only mention that I can find of the toll in the old newspapers , this from the Nottingham Guardian 19/08/1893 . Seems the gate was put up in 1800 and there is mention of the 11.5 feet clo

My apologies for the ambiguity in my previous post. Could have been worded better, sometimes my brain and typing finger whilst lickety splitting the same slope, don't necessarily do it at the same tim

@Messy Hessey: a quick reply. The row of houses where you lived were originally in Colwick. The old boundary being where Charworth Road was built to take road traffic over the railway. West of that wa

We may have been to the same schools.  For me,  Ashwell street. 1950 to 1956.  Chandos sec school 1956 to 1959.  Otherwise known as the Chandos academy for young gentlemen and less flattering names like 'Stalagluft 12.  :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

@Messy Hessey: a quick reply. The row of houses where you lived were originally in Colwick. The old boundary being where Charworth Road was built to take road traffic over the railway. West of that was Colwick. The railway station was also built on Colwick land and the boundary was the northern edge of the cinderpath running alongside the railway until you reach Arthur Street where it merges with the tarmac. The bottom end of Netherfield was also Colwick. Even as late as the Great War, house address’ in that part gave Colwick as their address.

A little side story: the western bank of Charworth Road was known as Petts Bank.

there was a building which he says she says was haunted by a man who committed suicide. I have know idea of the truth or not of that story.

However, one day I was sat on the road fence on the eastern side looking at Petts building, when I realised there was a man walking from left to right inside the building. Having walked roughly three quarters of the floor space, he stopped to look up at a beam.

I have know idea of what followed as I ran home like a scalded cat. Not wishing to see a re-enactment of what may or may not have occurred.

He may have just been checking the building, but my imagination in full alarm mode suggested otherwise.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1