What's In a Name

Nottingham, coupled with nostalgia conveniently brings up 'Nottstalgia.

If Newcastle were to do the same thing, we could end up with 'Newralgia'.

Can anyone think of other interesting combinations?

We have a drive-through wildlife park in Williams, lots of animals but mainly bears. It's called Bearizona, a mingling of Bear and Arizona, quite clever I thought.

My old friend and neighbour in Glasgow had the old clan surname of Ffarqhar. he accepted my ribbing about his kids being little Ffarqhars. However, when his daughter started courting a lovely young man with the common local surname of Smelly, I was concerned that they might double-barrell their name into Smelly-ffar.......... no! don't even go there.

• Upvote 2

My friend and I had a favourite pastime of looking up the most unusual or funny names in the phone book, (in days long gone I would like to add). One we came upon was I M Smellie who lived on Nicker Hill in Nottingham (Sorry if you are he and reading this) Several years later whilst working in a Nottingham hotel a banqueting waiter came into our restaurant and told us of one of the guests names..it was the same person, and I showed him the phone book entry as he didn't believe me when I told him of the address.

Smelly or Smellie is a common name in Glasgow, as is Pollock.

Off surnames and on to place names. I read somewhere that in Dorset (I think) there is a village called Shitterton. And to add insult to injury, the local water authority have plans to build a sewage farm there. I have an idea that the local river is called the Piddle. Might be a good name for Mr Smellie to live.

• Upvote 2
  • 3 months later...