Walking the old railway lines after closure.

What is now Gayhurst rd was in days of yore called the jitty,at the top of which was halfpenny bridge,from there we did our Train spotting,7.30 pm The south Yorkshireman and at 10pm the Master cutler,i believe the bridge was taken down and now crosses the leen between BASFORD AND BULWELL

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not specifically Nottingham, more northern; for people who like disused railway lines and the engineering works. At about 10mins there's some great footage of Bennerley Viaduct which can be seen for m

A guy at Lincoln St Crossings in the 1970/80's I knew used to take his guitar and amp in the box and practice most of his shift!

Not the most exciting photos you'll ever see, but an ex-railway line which hardly gets any mentions here. The MR which went out of Nottingham Midland, over Lady Bay Bridge, through West Bridgford and

Those would be the return (down) journeys? used to see The South Yorkshireman sometimes from the field at end of Malton Rd, sometimes on New Basford Station sometimes from our garden via ex Afrika Korps binoculars liberated by my uncle, with those I could get the number (just thought, wonder what ever happened to those?) Dinner time walk home from Claremont Primary coincided with a view of it on the up line from Central Avenue , Now and then view of The Master Cutler Up and Down in school holidays too

• 2 months later...

Came across a few photos I took around 1999/2000 of the former railway land near Sneinton and Meadow Lane. Although they are not very old, most of these scenes are fairly different now.

The goods shed, before some of its later fires.

rail3.jpg

The Low Level station in the process of being converted into a health club.

rail4.jpg

The former pub on Colwick Road at the location where the Suburban Railway used to cross Colwick Road; I was surprised to find this site is now occupied by flats.

rail7.jpg

The GN crossing the Midland at Trent Lane. Not sure how much of this scene remains now. The flats in the distance are on Colwick Road.

rail8.jpg

Wider view of the goods shed, also showing the Low Level station before it became a Health place.

rail4-1.jpg

A real anorak shot. The embankment taking the Suburban line north (left) through Sneinton.

rail9-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Great pics. We recently walked the old GN line trackbed along Hucknall Rd to Bestwood Village and noticed two sections of track in the undergrowth. One was about 400 yds from Hucknall Rd on the left of the path, and the second was approaching the winding house. I couldn't investigate much as it started peeing down and madam gets embarrassed if I'm rummaging in the foliage.

even more of an anorak is knowing which line ran on that embankment! (guilty as charged) the pub in one picture was The Ginger Tom? and the bridge there was unusual in so much as one track crossed on the level and the other was rising or falling (forget which without looking it up) I liked The Suburban, a total failure of course but then again I'm a Notts County fan as well!

Never saw it in use and missed seeing some features "in the flesh" but in less than 4 miles it had 3 stations,3 tunnels,, that unique bridge, a quite complex junction at Trent Lane, 2 (if short) viaducts and 8? other bridges over or under it, plus of course connections with brickworks and sidings. Were the route still there it would have been ideal now for reopening! that said so would lots more vanished local lines?

• Upvote 1

Three more I found from the same date in 1999.

This is the Suburban Railway flying junction/bridge where it crossed Trent Lane. This is looking away from Nottingham, so trains would be coming towards you on the single line. (the opposite direction to the anorak shot)

rail9.jpg

And this is the opposite direction to the pub photo - this is what was facing the pub, the (blocked up) entrance to a tunnel. It is now massively overgrown and looks nothing like this.

rail5.jpg

Another view of the GN crossing the Midland at Meadow Lane.

rail1.jpg

Wish I'd got a time machine to go back to the mid fifties. One can only imagine what it was like, all hustle and bustle.

I wish I'd took more notice when spotting in the mid 50's to mid 62. I missed so much. All I was interested in was filling my ABC.

After 62 it was all girls, beer and music. Not always in that order!

No indeed, 2 out of the 3 here at 68, and when I finally make it as a rock star the 3rd should follow? Back on topic The NSR stations close July 13th 1916 (as a wartime savings) St Ann's Station never did open again, but Sherwood and Thorneywood did , but only for 1 day! July 10th 1928, for the visit of King George and Queen Mary, Sherwood Station being the destination of 13 special trains carrying 6,550 children and 284 teachers from Basford and Bukwell, Thorneywood and Nottm Low Level, where they "met" the King and Queen on a sort of Gala Day on Woodthorpe Park. The NSR Stations having been shut 12 years were done up and staffed for the day, then closed again and the lines reverted to a short cut for the 3 a day passenger trains and goods tarin from the brickwork, On May8/9th 1941 a bomb hit the line just north of the bridge over the midland near Trent Lane blowing away part of the embankment, this was never repaired and the line then became push and pull goods from Daybrook only till the line closed in 1951, the track removal starting june 1954 though it was 1957 before completed

• 3 months later...

EXPLORING the local footpaths and cycleways this morning on me bike came across a path from Bulwell Hall that crosses the by-pass into Hucknall,thought you 'railway' buffs might be interested,it was a line for Coal trucks to Hucknall 'Top pit'.

Did you pass that old derelict stone house. That has always fascinated me every time I've walked past it.

You'll see it if you follow the path left from the Golf Course.

I remember the lines in the road just past the 44 trollybus terminus at Bulwell Hall. I am not sure when the last coal was raised at Hucknall No.1, but i must have been the late 1940's or very early 1950's.

I was lucky enough as a passed cleaner at colwick loco to be given a job to assist a driver as a fireman at the young age of 17 i can't remember the type of engine, we entered mapperley tunnel from Colwick end and I believe had a gradient from that end. The driver was a little chap and stood on some sort of box to work the horizontal regulator, we began to skid a little, must have had a full load on. the regulator shot back and hit the driver in the nose which bled. we managed somehow to carry on. what an experience. something that will stay with me forever.

Don't worry. I knew a few drivers who I worked with on the railway who deserved more than a bleeding nose.

• 10 months later...

There's still quite a few relics of the NSR to be found, but most had gone, I used to like to walk (where possible) the route of the old lines inc the Thomas North pit one that ran from Cinderhil pit (and others) to Radford Wharf on the old Nottingham canal

ATTENTION BARCLAYCON: Post #31. The book in question is "The Rise and Fall of Nottingham's Railway Network Volume 1 - Lines in the City.

Hayden J Reed Book Law Publications ISBN 1-901945-70-7

Compo got that book for my birthday a couple of years ago.

Ashley, we walked the Thomas North railway also. I have done a lot of research into the railway and the mines it served. Very interesting topic.

Not the most exciting photos you'll ever see, but an ex-railway line which hardly gets any mentions here. The MR which went out of Nottingham Midland, over Lady Bay Bridge, through West Bridgford and Edwalton.

The site of Edwalton station, looking south. It's now covered by these houses and their back gardens.

o5AWXbH.jpg

The cutting where the line went south, with Boundary Road and Rushcliffe Leisure Centre to the right in the far distance.

vRr1b3w.jpg

Approaching Edwalton station; the cutting has been infilled, the rails went under the bridge.

TKR0poK.jpg

The line went through West Bridgford on an embankment; this is the bridge where it crosses Devonshire Road.

gAYfRGz.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Around 1976 I took the train to Loughborough Midland and then walked back to Nottingham via the proper line as far as the bridge over the Trent at the Meadows. The loco to Loughborough was a Peak; can't remember the number or name but I do have a photo of it somewhere. I recall there was a steam crane puffing in a siding that day.