Who was your barber/ hairdresser in the sixties one of mine was mr wise corner of kirkwhite street and arkwright st near zebra crossing when in my teens i asked for a skinhead but blade 2 in his jewish accent he snapped da ya vant a skinhead or dunt ya

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, long shots pay off sometimes...and this one did, I'm delighted to say.   Olive's mother, Harriet, generally  answered the door when my mother rang the doorbell. The front door opened o

Still on the subject of hairdressing.  A couple of weeks ago I drifted back to my hairdressing days and changed hair colour.  

Hi Jill Sparrow Its nice to see some give hairdresser's a kind word , like Nonna i did a 3 year apprenticeship which my mum and dad borrowed £75 for my indentures. The last perming machine used i

When I was about 12 or 13, (late 50's) my overbearing mother insisted I go to Peppers in Trinity Square for a decent haircut. She made an appointment and physically dragged me there one Saturday afternoon. I think I had to go downstairs and was met by this obnoxious weasel of a man who minced and ponced around as though he was ballet dancing. He made John Inman look like Arnie.

He fussed around whilst I wriggled about in the chair trying to avoid his fingers. I squirmed so much, I was nearly under the sink.

I scurried out afterwards and thought "F**k that for a lark! I'm never going back there". After that, I vowed to grow my hair as long as possible, and upon leaving school (62) never had a proper haircut for about nine years. Even when I was 48 my mother was still moaning about my hair. It's strange how early contact with unconventional types can deter in ones views later in life. I shall say no more.

• Upvote 1

Whilst living in Comyn street until 1955, the young curls were attended to by Les Bush on Union Road, his shop being on the first floor over a Ladies hairdressing salon, so the haircut was usually accompanied by the questionable perfume of cold perm solution wafting up the stairs. Always thought that Mr Bush was pretty modern for the times because he offered the use of an electric shaver for a fee of 6d, which was I think the same price as my haircut.

When we moved to Rudd, the grooming was given over to Sid on Charles Street, a venerable old fella who retired about 1960 when the shop was taken over by a young bloke named Clive, so at the age of 13 I came into the modern day with my first Boston !!

In the mid to late 60's I worked on Friar Lane, and occasionally had a cut at a barbers which was behind a Tobacconist and Newsagents shop next door to the office, but can't recall the name of the shop.

Re #5 Last part should be "determine ones views", sorry, didn't re-read before posting.

Bit earlier than the 60s, but I remember my dad taking me a couple of times to a barbers which, as I remember it, was somewhere near the bottom of Hanley Street. He was an elderly chap, whose name I think might have been George Leonard, and at the time he still used hand-shears rather than electric ones. This was a slightly painful experience, as the sharpness of the shears was not consistent right across the span, so a few hairs here and there were plucked rather than cut. I don't know if dad was a particularly favoured customer, as these occasions were always on Saturday mornings - and most barbers wouldn't cut boys' hair on Saturdays (or charged adult price to do so).

Beechdale Road shops. It was 2 bob for a short back and sides, and woe betide you if you went back home with anything different.

A long time ago with Peppers hair salon there also used to be Peppers hairdressing whole sales before I finished work u'mmmm in 2002 Mrs Kinnel who family used to own Peppers was still alive and working there (in the office) she must have been about 70/80 When Mrs Kinnel phoned NHTA for a visit everyone jumped. (Nottingham Hairdressing training agency)

Busher's on union road Mrs Bush was the last hairdresser in Nottingham to use the Callidine perm it was one on the first perms to be invented

Also on Mansfield there used to be Bill the barber he was,so we were lead to be live the oldest barber still working in Nottingham.

I fail to under stand why hairdressers want to keep on working as at the time 2002 the wagers were not worth getting out of bed for.

• 1 year later...

For the same money, I could've bought two drinks for everybody at the last meet-up.

Or even the next one !!!

• Upvote 2

If Wetherspoons see this they'll be doing a pint and a haircut for £4.99

Anyway denshaw; Don and Johns' Basford, you can get sumat similar,........Haircut and Coffee (if you insist and no other customer waiting) £4.80,

Mind you the coffee is awful,............but you can buy a 'Clothes line and a set of 'Screw drivers' on your way out. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Is the haircut so bad that you need a clothes line to hang yourself with afterwards?!