Nottingham, and the rest.

Two things that have puzzled me for some time now.

1/ As we are now in the digital information period and people want to know, why haven't the city used the facilities of Universities in this area to produce a sellable disc of Clip art and pictures of the County for tourists to this place, a disc that can be sold for a small sum which would be a locally produced item that children can take away to recall their visit or to help with school work e.t.c As the University is in the County surely their must be artists who could use their skills to both create the images and then get them collated on to a disc, and, donate their time free or as an educational thing.

2/.Why hasn't the Council produced a Political-free documentary about the County for showing on T.V.

A one-hour programme showing , in equal parts, the history, the geography, the people, the industry and the touristy thing. If every County in England could produce the same thing for their Counties it would not only be a fascinating series on T.V but a great money-generating product for selling abroad which, intern would generate more tourist visits.

There must be other idea's out there for the attention of the Council.

Re point 2 we recorded a programme a few weeks ago made in the 70's with Pete Murray talking you around all the touristy spots in Nottingham, and in the county. Can't remember what it was called but it was good to see the old city as it used to be.

There is this dvd called Discover England-Nottinghamshire . I have it but not got round to watching it yet .

http://www.qleap.co.uk/discover-england---nottinghamshire-dvd-2108-p.asp

I think both are good ideas. But maybe the University and the county council should get together on a project especially in regards to the county and the city. Your idea of a series which includes all the counties would make excellent viewing on Discovery channel or National geographic. These channels are quite popular in Taiwan.

Nottingham University has campuses in Malaysia and China. They promote the university quite widely throughout Asia but very little promotion of Nottingham itself.

More and more students in Asia are looking towards further education overseas. Originally this was usually USA. but now more students are looking towards Britain and Australia. Not just for University, but also language centres to improve their English ability. Students may not spend much money individually, but if lots of students visited and each spent a small amount, that small amount would soon turn in to a very large amount. More and more people are travelling overseas. More and more countries are trying to tap into the tourist dollar, I have a student who has just spent 6 months in a language college in Australia. He spent the equivalent of over 7,000 pounds (sorry no pound symbol on my computer). Imaging 1000 students spending that much in Nottingham. It could be a very lucrative market if the promotion is done correctly.

The students I work with, when I mention England, all they can tell me about England is London. London is not England it is only a small part of it.

The student are very surprised at what they see when we go surfing on the internet and I show them the area where I was born. I dwell on the old architecture of the area, because it was the old buildings that I enjoyed visiting, this included Nottingham castle and Sherwood Forest. A lot of students in Taiwan have read Robin Hood, but they thought it was all make believe. Some of the stories maybe, but the area is real.

Please note some of what I have said about Nottingham may not be accurate now, because I left a long time ago. But I do still feel very close to Nottingham.

anyway I have said my piece, so now I am off to bed.

Good idea Mattsdigs but i would seriously tap into Nottingham Nostalgia because the knowledge and memories retainned by its memberrs will be lost forever after they are gone ,i am sure there is unrecorded information from the pre demolition residents of St Annes and the Meadows for example.

As post number 7 indicates , many people from other countries see london and assume that it is representative of the country as a whole. . I holiday in the States several times each year and am well aware of that problem. I always respond by asking them if they think New York is representative of their State which makes them think. So, I think that we all agree that the Counties of this country are different in structure , people, history band culture yet all are linked in a greater way, especially through the terrific history of this Nation. So, why not have a series of programmes about each county and then another series linking them together? I firmly believe that not only would it generate great interest within our borders but also way beyond even Europe.

I also agree with a charlesworth if a DVD is produced let it include the history of each place not only would it be a record of a great country from past to present but also could be a great educational tool in schools both locally and overseas if produced correctly. I know I would be willing to use something like this in my language classes here.

I use a lot of DVDs as it helps with listening, pronunciation and speech. Visual aids are better that just audio as they can be taken home and used as homework and they do retain the students attention. I am working on ajoint venture with an American company. Where they produce the educational DVDs and I write the student books to go with the DVDs.

OK, I am off to work now. Have a good night and a good day.

I forgot oldest football club in the world Notts County

I was surprised to discover a few years ago that the oldest football club in the world is, in fact, in Dronfield. County is the oldest LEAGUE club.

Sheffield Football Club, in Sheffield, England is the oldest documented stand-alone club, that is, the oldest club not associated with an institution such as a school, hospital or university. It was founded in 1857.[15] It initially played a code of its own devising. The club joined the English Football Association (FA) in 1863 and is recognised by both the FA and FIFA as the world's oldest club now playing association football. The club's rules influenced the FA including handball, free kicks, corners and throw ins; it did not adopt the Association's code in full until 1877.

In 1890, Forest played in the first game to use goal nets!

And Roy Dwight, a scorer in the 1959 Cup Final, is Elton John's cousin!

• Upvote 1

His father was Elton's uncle.

You are quite correct hippo girl, they were cousins. Roy died in London in 2002.