• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And that is taken from almost exactly the same position as this one...

When I left the railway industry 10 years ago, I commented at my leaving do that folk reckon you should move on from one company to another every 4 or 5 years. Well, I started working for British Rai

To add to the confusion, both Arnot Hill Road and Sandfield Road used to operate under different names - Hallam's Lane and Hickling's Lane. They both seem to have changed around the 1930s when the hou

There aren't any bridges on Thackeray's Lane. It's the Arno Vale Road one and the cutting would have been deeper back in the day. (I think).

(edit) No you are right. I thought that was Arnot Hill Rd. Didn't know it was Thackeray's right up there.

There was a bridge over Thackeray's Lane it was on the Nottingham Suburban Railway (bridge No 15) & the line was on an embankment at that location

Thackery's Lane was originally known as Gedling Lane.

Re post # 78 Well that bridge would be the one that was just left of the bottom of Breckhill Road, near where the roundabout is now. I do remember that one.

My brother's house is JUST out of shot on the picture Cliff's put up, # 75.

There was a bridge over Thackeray's Lane it was on the Nottingham Suburban Railway (bridge No 15) & the line was on an embankment at that location

Thackery's Lane was originally known as Gedling Lane.

And it gets a big mention on this thread starting at #64 http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8876&page=4

Cliff, I'd say that would be the right place, looking at the height of the embankment and the proximity of the houses (was discussing how small their gardens are at that end of Sandfield Road only this morning!)

• Upvote 1

Oh, and at the risk of sounding pedantic, the road changes from Thackeray's Lane to Arnot Hill Road at the junction with Sandfield Road. So to be accurate, the bridge is actually on Thackeray's - by about twenty feet.

:)

Ok I see the road sign and must have looked at it hundreds of times over the years but I always thought, like NewBasfordlad that the name changed at the bend in the road. But, regarding the Sandfield Road gardens backing onto the railway cutting, my brother's garden not far up from the junction, is really quite long. Anyway, I'll let you train buffs get back to your topic!

• Upvote 1

Interesting Cliff ton, and the track leading down from Hickling's Lane to the railway line is on there. Used to go along there a lot as a kid, down to what we all called 'Jonah's'. Wonder if anyone knows why the area was called that.

• 3 weeks later...

To add to the confusion, both Arnot Hill Road and Sandfield Road used to operate under different names - Hallam's Lane and Hickling's Lane. They both seem to have changed around the 1930s when the housing was built.

Hallam's Lane still exists in part. It's the short stretch between Arnold Market place and the mini roundabout at the end of Arnot Hill Road near to where the swimming baths used to stand.

Are both ends of the tunnel open ???

Just the eastern (Gedling side) entrance I understand. Always fancied having a walk through there.

By the 80s the tunnel was used by the Arnold and Carlton Rifle and Pistol club run by a guy called Mike. The GPO had their own range in what was going to be a nuclear shelter under the Bath Street offices. For those who worked for the GPO it was run by TK

Colin

my dad was a member of that gun club roundabouts 1980-82. aged 14-15 I myself have blazed away with both a 357 magnum (dirty harry) and a 9mm browning automatic pistol (definatly well supervised!) when he used to take me there.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Mapperley (Gedling to us in Arnold) Tunnel: Closed 1960 for safety reasons, due to instability through subsidence.....Tunnel still standing today. How does that work then, eh?!