Riddo

I don't know if this is of any use to you but at the top of Union Road on the left side going up to Huntingdon Street was No 20 Rhodes the confectioners, 18 Fred Dobbs Picture Framer, 16-18 W. A. Woodhouse Draper, 12 Chick Zamick Dry Cleaners (also an ice hockey legend with the Panthers) and 8 Birkett and Phillips Ltd Hosiery Manufacturers.

I lived in Peas Hill Rise and walked up Union Road every day, crossed the old Victoria Station walkway and passed the Mechanics on my way to work as an apprentice at the Evening Post.

Hope this might shed a bit more light on things.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Den1945. What you say confirms what I found at the library, but it's good to have a first-hand account. Interesting that Chick Zamick had a dry cleaners at a time when some footballers had betting shops and/or hairdressers. Today they have Hotels! (Giggs, Scholes et al).

An old Elms Infant schoolmate of mine worked at the Post - Julian Gaylard - ring any bells? It would have been late 60s.

Riddo

I'm afraid Julian Gaylard doesn't ring any bells with me. I left Manvers Secondary School on Carlton Road in 1960 and went to work for the Post the same year. I went on the night shift in 1964 where I worked on the morning paper the Guardian Journal so he might have been on days then. The strange thing is that when I walked to work it took me 15 minutes but when I passed my driving test in 1966 it took me half an hour to drive there going round the one way systems. By the way I now walk past the old Elms Infant School on top of Elm Avenue on my way home. It was a beautiful school. What a shame it's now a crumbling eyesore.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for delay Merthyr Imp & Den1945 - I really should check in more often!

MI: Julian was a friend that I never forgot, despite leaving St Anns for Clifton in 1957 at the end of the Elms Infants years. Then in the '90s I was out with a couple of ex-Fairham mates, one of whom brought along a friend of theirs - Julian! Couldn't believe it. Now out of touch again though. And there's a connection with High Pavement too - my best mate in the Raleigh Labs was Richard (Dick) Chambers. Did you know him? He may have been a year ahead of you though.

Den: The Elms school had only been open a few years when I started there in 1955, so everything was fairly new and smelt nice. I went up that way last year & was shocked to see it's current state. I didn't even know it had closed! Got some lovely memories of those years - the sun always seemed to be shining (not true, I know).

• Upvote 1

And there's a connection with High Pavement too - my best mate in the Raleigh Labs was Richard (Dick) Chambers. Did you know him? He may have been a year ahead of you though.

That name doesn't ring a bell, sorry. I remember Julian Gaylard had a nephew about a couple of years younger than him who was at High Pavement at the same time.

• 3 months later...

Riddo

Sad to tell you Julian has passes away, June 2015. I'm just off to the funeral. Jules was my best pal throughout the seventies, but sadly became a bit of a recluse in later years so didn't see much of him. A very kind and gentle man. Spending a lot of time thinking about the mischief and fun we had.

I worked on Union Rd at Claude Barton engineering. Across the road was Diggles fags and sweets. She would sell you single fags in the week, pay up on Friday.

Hi Serrie #32. Yes, sad to hear of Julian's passing. I didn't hear about it until last week when my sister rang to say she'd seen the announcement in the Post. As I've said in my earlier posts, I'd known Julian at Elms Infants in the 1950s & then met up again by a "fluke" in the mid '90s. He lived just off Edwards Lane in Sherwood (can't remember the street name) at that time. Another name from the Elms is Kenneth Medd (Mead?) - is that a name you know?

• 2 weeks later...