My latest project:

Thanks everyone. With a Mediterranean climate roses do very well here just have to look out for black spot and aphids at certain times of the year. I am looking to plant some showy fragrant varieties as apart from the odd spray and dead-heading they pretty much look after themselves.

• 11 months later...
On 8/2/2021 at 3:37 PM, benjamin1945 said:

My project in the Garden for the last  year...has been trying to save a dying Rose.............

This particular Rose was planted a good few years since.........by my Late father in law in his small garden in Peterborough.........It was planted in memory of one of his daughters(my wifes sister) who died in a car accident...

Her mother also passed a year ago.......and when their house went on the Market we decided to try and save this Rose........dug it up and brought it to our present home........

Planted it with loving care......but earlier this year it looked completely 'Dead'....the wife wouldn't let me dig it up and get rid.........it meant too much to her..............Anyhow without her agreeing or even knowing......i transplanted it into a large fancy Plant container ..in the early spring.. along with some Earth and compost...........

At first it looked a hopeless case....so i cut it right back.......the wife was upset when she eventually realised what i'd done..............Anyhow the good news is......it has grown back to life...all green and bushy and this morning noticed it had two buds which i know will flower............Wife is over the moon..........knowing her sisters memory will linger on..............never knew i had such 'Green Fingers'........:)

One year later.................and noticed this morning a beautiful Pink Rose was blooming.....Donna's Mother is still smiling down on her.......

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

LOL............I Will Jill..........loved Rita (ma in law)..i was 31 when i first met her...and we Danced for the next 40 odd years........could not have wished for a nicer Lady........

Edit...never Danced with Father-in-law...took him a bit longer to take to me...;)

• Like 2

Current project is re modelling part of the back garden. Removed soil and rubble (2 skip loads) last month to creat a flat area behind the greenhouse to form a nice private patio area. Collected and laid 30 reclaimed slabs last week. Then I'll be starting to build some wide steps up to the old garden level tomorrow. I was going to replace 6 fencing panels in that corner but fence panels are so boring. So I'm only ordering 4 panels and going to build a brick wall by the patio. It will be an interesting wall built with and assortment of bricks that are in a collection and lying around. Some are hand made and will be over 300 years old (the old RBSH). Some are Victorian and others salvaged from building sites. Some have been used as edging for the flower beds and are of unknown provenance. It will be a unique wall :rolleyes:

When clearing the site I uncovered what I had thought was an old well - square and using the same bricks as the Victorian part of our house, however there was a midden next to it, so unlikely to have been a well. It's 20 yards and uphill from the old RBSH so a mystery.

I had visions of it being a secret tunnel to the cellar of our nearby pub....

• Upvote 1

PP so have you go some ordinary bricks for the foundations  of your proposed wall?   It sounds very interesting and will look really unusual

11 hours ago, MargieH said:

PP so have you go some ordinary bricks for the foundations  of your proposed wall?   It sounds very interesting and will look really unusual

Concrete blocks I'm afraid. Left over from the front courtyard project.

The bricks are all of different sizes so they will be sorted by thickness for each course.

This project is only going to cost sand, cement and my time. 

P.P., just think of the ruins at Machu Pichu and Mayan buildings etc. When  you build your wall, make sure you can't put a fag paper between the bricks.

• 9 months later...
On 8/2/2021 at 3:37 PM, benjamin1945 said:

My project in the Garden for the last  year...has been trying to save a dying Rose.............

This particular Rose was planted a good few years since.........by my Late father in law in his small garden in Peterborough.........It was planted in memory of one of his daughters(my wifes sister) who died in a car accident...

Her mother also passed a year ago.......and when their house went on the Market we decided to try and save this Rose........dug it up and brought it to our present home........

Planted it with loving care......but earlier this year it looked completely 'Dead'....the wife wouldn't let me dig it up and get rid.........it meant too much to her..............Anyhow without her agreeing or even knowing......i transplanted it into a large fancy Plant container ..in the early spring.. along with some Earth and compost...........

At first it looked a hopeless case....so i cut it right back.......the wife was upset when she eventually realised what i'd done..............Anyhow the good news is......it has grown back to life...all green and bushy and this morning noticed it had two buds which i know will flower............Wife is over the moon..........knowing her sisters memory will linger on..............never knew i had such 'Green Fingers'........:)

Thought i'd give you an update on the wife's special Rose''..........still in a Pot...and flowered yesterday...i have 6 Roses all in Pots and its always the first to 'Flower''.....think it loves Notts...after its origins in Cambs''.........makes Donna's day on a regular basis...funny thing is it was her Mothers birthday too yesterday...Donna is sure..its her Mother saying hello...:)

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

I’ve got 5 vono bed irons. I’m sure you know but these are strong steel angle just over 6 feet in length. I’ve had them years and was likely born on the bed that a pair of these came from. Any use to you Rog for making static engine mounts etc. I thought of Rog as you’re not too far away.

2 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

I’ve got 5 vono bed irons. I’m sure you know but these are strong steel angle just over 6 feet in length. I’ve had them years and was likely born on the bed that a pair of these came from

My parents had a bed like that when I was a child. It bore the utility mark!

• 2 months later...
On 6/14/2023 at 9:33 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Thought i'd give you an update on the wife's special Rose''..........still in a Pot...and flowered yesterday...i have 6 Roses all in Pots and its always the first to 'Flower''.....think it loves Notts...after its origins in Cambs''.........makes Donna's day on a regular basis...funny thing is it was her Mothers birthday too yesterday...Donna is sure..its her Mother saying hello...:)

Must give you another up-date on Donna's Mum's special Rose.......remember we brought it all the way from Peterborough when her Mum had passed away and the House was sold.........well 4 weeks ago it looked 'Dead again...then during the last fortnight it sorted itself out

......it gradually went dark brown and many 'Buds' appeared....none of my other Roses showed any signs of 'Flowering'for the 2nd time this year.............well now its in 'Full bloom' again with Ten lovely flowers..........in all its years in Peterborough it only ever had one flower....

Funny how Rose as played a part in my life.........My Grandma had a sister 'ROSE' obviously my Great Aunt'' and i remember her well.....then my Grandma had a daughter 'ROSE'...A Lovely lady who passed away in her 40s....but gave me my beautiful Cousin 'Carol'...who over the years as been very special to me....Then 37 years ago Donna gave me my only Daughter...who when she was born had to be my special Rose....and that night the 'Pianist' ''Harry'' at our local the Masons Arms'' in Basford played Rose songs for over an hour with the whole Bar joining in...........and to crown all my Lovely 'Roses'' along came another 'ROSE'....my Grand daughter..''Charley Rose''.........and it all started in 1900 with my Great Aunt''........

Sorry about my long 'Ramble'' just cant help it...:biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I have over the years planted roses in memory of special people who have passed on. I have two pure white roses I planted for my mum. This year they have produced flowers the size of saucers and which have lasted for ages. It's in bud again for the second flush. Mum loved roses but would never cut them and put them in a vase, so I never cut these.

• Like 2